Odessa Lake Via Fern Lake Trail

Odessa Lake Via Fern Lake Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and horses and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

1916 feet

Take Hwy. 36 out of Estes Park to RMNP entrance, then go to Bear Lake Rd., follow it to the Bear Lake Th.

VERY icy/snowed in at the top. Would only recommend if you have spikes/proper gear/experienced. Ice was worth the views/incredible pictures

Stunning views and a quieter trail. We needed microspikes for the higher portion past Flat Top mountain- its quite icy in the morning!

Still snow on the ground in June. Parents decided to stop early because of a side-ways sloped snow/ice surface we had to cross to get to the lake. Jaw-dropping view. Would definitely go again.

Great hike! The views at Odessa Lake were awesome and made for a wonderful lunch stop. Our round trip mileage was 9.4. Caution with eating at Fern Lake - the chipmunks will come after your food aggressively - we quickly decided not to eat there.

Wonderful hike much to see. Water falls, flowing brooks, beautiful, flush vegetation, two lakes Fern and Odessa. Sweet mountains views around Odessa.

Absolutely beautiful. My favorite hike I've done in a long time.

The views were fantastic. Tons of mosquitos! Also we were not able to do that last half mile or so due to snow on the trail. But the view of fern lake was amazing (you can climb a rock where the trail turns for a great viewpoint).

Great day hike. Flat for the first mile n a half. Then goes up after you cross the river, but it's not bad. Fern falls are great and will cool you off mid hike. Fern lake is pretty, although it's hard to get a good view of the entire thing. The extra mile to Odessa lake is so worth it. The lake and surrounding mountains are extraordinary.

Bring bud spray! Bad mosquitoes in July

Hiked on July 3. 3 parts of snow but sneakers were fine. Starting at Bear Lake and ending at Fern Lake was the move.

Camping in June was a tad too cold for us, but I loved this hike! Would love to do it again.

RMNP best kept secret!

Attempted to snowshoe this trail last weekend when the snowstorm hit. Did not make it to any of the lakes. It was too cold and there was no clear trail. My buddy and I got lost a couple times and had to make our own trail. Barely made it half way but I would attempt this on a better weather day. It was surreal and amazing though!

Saturday, December 03, 2016

Did not make it to Odessa Lake. Bad weather was moving in, the snow was almost knee deep. We also had snow shoes. There was no visible sign of tracks but we made it to Lake Helene which was really beautiful.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Amazing views and well worth a few steep climbs and windy conditions.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

The trail was already covered with snow so it was very slippery. But the view was absolutely amazing!! Totally worth it.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Planned to hike to Fern Lake, but kept on to Odessa. Definitely worth it!

Monday, September 19, 2016

Awesome hike! We went from Bear Lake to Odessa Lake. It took three hours to get there but there is a lot of variety to the trail and such a close views of the mountains. A lot of picture taking. Odessa Lake was beautiful. Would definitely recommend.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Just hiked this today starting from the Fern Lake trailhead. Trail is well maintained, easy to follow, and has a fee nice waterfalls. We had Odessa Lake pretty much to ourselves and really enjoyed the view.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Did this as a section of a much longer backpacking trip. This section is awesome! especially the high country between Odessa lake and Sourdough campsite. If you camp at Sourdough, bring a lot of bug repellent. I suppose all these small lakes are breeding grounds for Mosquitoes. Besides that the campsite is fantastic. It even has a Privy. These backcountry campsites are some of the best I've ever camped in.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

One of my favorite hikes! I've been to Fern Lake more times than I can count. The extra mile past Fern to Odessa lake is beautiful. Highly recommended.