Oak Flat Loop Trail is a 1.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Montrose, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 1.3 miles Elevation Gain: 311 feet Route Type: Loop

Good trail. At the starting fork, I would recommend going right (the steep part) first, then do a gradual climb back. A lot of the trail was in the shade, with nice views of the canyon.

I really enjoyed this trail. There were several very steep slopes where I had to hold onto my 6 year old but otherwise was beautiful. Loved the trees, wildflowers and shade and even alittle snow! I would do this hike again! I thought the views of the canyon below were amazing.

closed
icy

icy

According to NPS, the trail is 2 miles long and “difficult.” I would say the majority of the trail is easy to moderate but a small portion of the trail is very steep. I’m not a marathon runner but I’m in shape. I was huffing and puffing coming back up. At the start of the trail, it forks, the ranger suggested you go right first because that’s the steep part. We didn’t get that memo but that would’ve made the trail a lot easier. The trail has a wonderful view of the canyon with many beautiful photo spots. A portion of the trail is in the trees offering nice shade without obstructing the view of the canyon too much. Overall, it was an excellent hike.

Trail has great views of the canyon along the way. I suggest counter clockwise for route. Steep downhill and a gradual climb back up instead of the other way around.

Nice little walk in the woods. The trail is very well-maintained - I did it in flip flops. There are some views of the canyon, but the views from the visitor center are arguably better. I recommend going counter-clockwise as the uphill on the way up is more gradual, but if you have bad knees I could see the other way being slightly easier on them. There is a warning at the beginning that a non-aggressive bear has been spotted on the trail, so stay alert.

We enjoyed this loop - trail takes you below the rim a bit through scrub oaks. You will pass the trailhead for the one of the more adventurous hike to the canyon floor.

Not super scenic except towards the end. Short and simple though.

This is a 2-mile trail, according to the sign at the trailhead. The wildflowers along the trail were beautiful. There are plenty of sections where the trees open up to provide clear views of the canyon, but the views are pretty much the same as the ones above by the visitor center. The main benefits to hiking this trail are 1) the break from the sun, as much of this trail is shaded and 2) not many people, so you have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the views of the canyon away from the masses.

plenty of shade . up and down elevation change but pretty easy. descends down below the rim a short distance. mariposa lily and tansy asters were in good bloom.

Nice views of the canyon. The hike will be a lot easier if you take the right fork on the way down

Must do for hikers wanting some unique views of the canyon and lots of up close time with the wildlife and surrounding fauna. Does have some steep inclines.

Nice hike! Had beautiful views of the canyon, but other than that was not super noteworthy. I heard the better Trails are on the North Rim side. I would still hike this trail again, though!

This trail is fun, but it’s definitely not what you came to Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP for. Maybe get to the Ranger Station and pick up a permit for the Gunnison Route!

Wed Apr 24 2019

4.23.19 Most of this trail still has fairly deep snow. My husband and I traversed it with only crampons but sure wish we’d taken our poles. It has some beautiful spots to view the canyon and Gunnison River. Despite the amount of snow dress lightly. The activity will warm you up. Except for the switchbacks it’s a fairly easy trail.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Definitely needed snowshoes. Would have been nice to have poles too.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Entirely snow packed but all you need are microspikes. I would NOT do this in just hiking boots or gym shoes. Snowshoes are a bit cumbersome on the steeper descents and narrower parts of the trail, but everyone except me (including my boyfriend) was snowshoeing and managing fine. Great views of the canyon. 400 foot descent, switchbacks on the ascent make it very manageable. Enjoy!

Fri Oct 05 2018

We went right at the fork at the beginning, and because it had rained that day, the steep descent was a little nerve wracking. Wish we had gone left to start. Not a trail if someone has any fear of heights, as the trail is narrow and right on the edge of the canyon/hill many places. We loved it! Fantastic canyon views, as well as an aspen grove right up against the rock wall.

Sun Sep 23 2018

This hike allows you to get wonderful views of the Black Canyon. An easy walk but wonderful scenery!

Sat Sep 22 2018

Nice little loop. It was good to take the left at the loop fork--more of a gradual downhill and a shorter, steep hike back up.

Mon Sep 17 2018

good hike and great scenery

Fri Aug 10 2018

It's not a trail for seeing the black canyon. I think it's for seeing the plants. A little steep and I'm tired when going up.

Fri Jul 27 2018

Great little trail that allows views of the canyon from in the canyon. Saw a mule deer on our hike.

Wed Jul 18 2018

This hike was the perfect length and allows you to view the canyon from many awesome perspectives. Even some of the rock walls you hike right next to have a spectacular black, rust and silvery coloring to them. Beautiful!

Tue Jul 17 2018

Good trail with great views of the canyon.