Nymph Lake Trail

Nymph Lake Trail is a 1.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Estes Park, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

partially paved

Went up yesterday 12/12/18 and although it was quite windy it wasn't to bad with the trees shielding the wind. Really easy hike with a very good snow pack conditions, all I needed was crampons. I have trouble breathing at altitude but this hike didn't leave me to much out of breath. Didn't go on to Dream Lake since I would need snowshoes and didn't bring any with me.

Went on a weekend in early December and the trail was packed with people. Trail was snow packed. I didn’t wear boot chains but i should have.

It’s not an easy trail for me, an incline hike all the way to the lake. We went in the afternoon, so it was less crowded. What a beautiful and tranquil
place to see!

Up hill the whole way to the lake. Beautiful! We have 4 kids who did this with no problems. All 7 and under.

The trail is uphill the whole way to the lake. Not everyone would find it easy. The lake is pretty but there are way too many people on the trail to make the trip enjoyable.

Beautiful !

Hiked to Nymph Lake in late July 2018. The yellow Lillie pads were blooming! Such a treat. Pretty lake and surrounding views.

Keep going to see other lakes (they’re all different), water falls and meadows with flowers. You’ll feel like you’re going to run into snow while cottage as you press on to emerald lake. Easy hike to the end.

You should at least see bear lake

Great easy hike if you just stop here. Lake is beautiful. Completed early June with zero snow.

This trail was ok... Nymph Lake was pretty buggy, and stagnant, push on towards Dream & Emerald Lake. Those are truly remarkable!

5/22. Easy hike to here. Peaceful place to sit. Went on to Emerald. Not much snow to this point.

Still some patches of snow on 5/22 but nothing you can’t do with sturdy hiking boots. Pretty good cardio workout on the way up. Excellent Birdseye view of the lake with the mountains in the background from a rock formation a bit off the trail.

Parking lot about a third full early 05/20/2018. Heavy overcast, very few hikers on trail early on. Well packed snow trail off and on. We would have been wise to have had better footwear and poles, but made it to Lake none the less in good stead...proceeded on trail to Dream Lake.
On our return to trailhead sky had cleared up beautifully for fantastic views and pix and traffic increased, but by the time we returned to vehicle in maxed out parking area a downpour began!

Easy hike, did 4/11 and used spikes only. Definitely recommend going to Dream and Emerald Lake for even prettier views!

The weather was perfect (30 degree). Lake was frozen. Snow packed trail. Used trekking poles- no spikes, crampons, or snowshoes (although I’d def recommend spikes). Arrived by 10am and parking lot was already 2/3 full. Very, very, very busy with families, kids, visitors, etc. Since I’m from Kansas, the altitude always is an issue for me. Took my time. Fairly easy with a few slick spots- I was easily passed by locals with kids in tow.

Spikes definitely help right now, was able to take my 6 year old on her first hike with them. There is also a great rock outcropping to go up on one side of the lake. It has gorgeous views!

03/04/2018
This is a steady elevation gain on the way to the lake.
Nothing that can't be done with some boots, but putting on spikes on the way down is ideal. These trails are great for carrying snowshoes with you so you can get off the beaten path during winter. Which is great because all the trails in this little area are heavily crowded with people. Crowded year round basically.

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Mostly snow packed but fun if you go just off the trail..fresh powder and a real feel for snowshoeing when you do that.

Monday, January 08, 2018

We didn’t do the route on the app; we did what the ranger described as the “winter trail.” This was a ranger-led snowshoe program, which I definitely recommend for beginners. I think they offer it every Sunday during the winter. The program itself is more about ecology than snowshoeing technique, but the rangers are there if you have any issues and it’s a good way to get comfortable with the equipment. (You have to provide your own snowshoes.) The ranger led us across the middle of frozen Bear Lake, which was fun.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Lake is frozen. Snow snow and snow everywhere. Snow covered beautiful place.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Very cold and wicked windy on the day of this review (11.18.17). Park ranger said it was 0° with the windchill. Snow pack was good but I highly recommend traction support. We rented ours for $5/pair at the warming hut. Thank goodness we did because I fell in the parking lot without them on. We also saw 2 accidents on the road up to the Bear Lake area. But it was beautiful and manageable with warm gear and traction.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Steady climb up to lake which is small but perfectly delightful! Freezing cold when we were there today following heavy snowfall overnight! But easy enough route manageable by most people/abilities? Road up was a different matter but the conditions improved BH the time we left!

Saturday, October 28, 2017

ludicrously gorgeous for a short but inclined hike!

Saturday, October 28, 2017

This is a picturesque small lake ringed by pond lilies. Unfortunately, overhanging clouds and mist obstructed the views of the surrounding peaks from here during my late July hike. Even with the low clouds though, there were still a few impressive views visible on the short and steady hike up from the Bear Lake parking area. I continued on to Dream and Emerald Lakes and was fortunate there were some breaks in the clouds to reveal the stunning views.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Beautiful!!

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Fun trail. View of the lake with the mountains in the background is incredible.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

This is such a great beginner level hike!! It is only a mile but the elevation increase on the way up makes it a great workout! It's a beautiful hike with some beautiful scenery. Watch your step going up and down because in some places the trail path is patchy.

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Easy first day hike, keep going to the end of the trail head

Monday, September 04, 2017

Easy hike from Bear Lake. Lots of Lilly pads.