North Star Mountain Trails

North Star Mountain Trails is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

I made the entire loop today with my mother and my dog. I would also suggest turning left first since that will allow you to go downhill at the most steep part of the trail. The initial incline is steep but it gets less intense after you go around the first corner. There is a beautiful view of Montgomery Reservoir on the left, mountains to the front and a valley below. I've seen deer in the valley on a prior hike. The thing I love most about this hike is the 360 view of the area if you go to the very top of the mountain. There are some very steep parts to this trail and the air is thin but it is worth the hike.

Finding the trail is very simple and had great views. The family (wife, MIL, 6mo old strapped to dad) loved it and felt it was a good hike to get acclimated to Colorado.

A couple things to note, as you walk up when the trail splits it has a natural curve to make you want to go left. This is actually walking the trail backwards and shouldn’t be an issue. Just plan for that when looking at the elevation. We found the trail easier this way as we took the steepest grade downhill.

The other thing is the trail (if walked backwards) goes from a well defined road to a less defined two lane atv looking trail that leads down to a small lake you can dip your feet in to.

Anyways would recommend this trail.

Walked the trail toward the false summit. We turned back before the ridge line that leads to the actual summit because we didn’t have floatation and the trail was covered by snow at a very steep section heading down the south slope. It was really fun hiking.

Great hike today. I used my snowshoes most of the way except for summiting the mountain. A few people only had sneakers and they postholed most of the way. Really slushy snow, with a 3-4 foot base in most areas. Great views at the top.

The views are really nice but this "trail" is basically a road. There was some cloud cover today, but this trail is not shaded. Not too easy, not too hard.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

A nice easy hike with great views!

Thursday, August 10, 2017

A little muddy/ puddles across the trail due to heavy rain last night. Beautiful ponds and waterfall. There is also a cave with water at the top of the loop right before you head back down.

Wednesday, August 02, 2017

We parked at Hoosier Pass and the trailhead is to the right of the info signs. This was a wonderful kid-friendly hike. We took all four kiddos (7, 10, 12 and a 1 yr old in a carrier) up the left side of the loop and then up to the top. That little grassy "summit" is not part of the trail listed here, but it provides lovey views both north and south from the Continental Divide. We then came back down the small "ridge" and joined up with the loop below. The kids loved getting to walk right by some snow still on the ground. We would definitely hike it again!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Great, moderate hike with fantastic scenery - the only downfall is your trail is an old mining road. We took the short path to the lake and the direction we chose meant a steep incline to the top of a ridge.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

Had a great time with my husband and two kids. 4 year old was able to walk and play most of the way until the steeper incline towards the top of the ridge. Beautiful stream and lake along the way. And loved all the different wildflowers. Great way to start the day !

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Easy hike to do with kids, dogs.

skiing