North Gross Jeep Trail: Road 68

North Gross Jeep Trail: Road 68 is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lake Shore Park, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

off road driving

Fun trail. Moderate rating seemed appropriate. Starts off with a narrow rocky section but gets more tame and wider.

off road driving

Super easy trail, my favorite local trail to run. I remember the first time I did this trail which was at night in my stock Wrangler with bald street tires (I had just bought the Jeep) and we took the trail on with no problems. I have done this trail in every imaginable type of conditions and love it.

Good trail to introduce people to the sport with and test to see how certain mods are performing.

off road driving

I wasn't sure what to expect, but think moderate is the right rating - with the caveat that I'm a casual off-roader (more over-landing, but no rock-crawling or the like). That said, the more capable stock vehicles (with good ground clearance) should be able to do it.

Other's comments about the signs are true. Don't be fooled by the 'Gate Ahead, Turn Around Here' sign at the start either.

East to West (mostly climbing for the fist 50%) is semi-steep, rocky, and rutty. There aren't many turn around/passing areas in this section, so you're basically committed once you're in it. The second half is more up & down with some deeper ruts (+2'). My car has 11.3" ground clearance and didn't scrape. It was dry when I was there, but snow and rain probably changes the character quite a bit. It was obvious a lot of the deeper ruts were deep mud pools when wet.

It was a really nice Dec. day and I came across one other truck (Chevy Silverado), some ATV's, bikes, and a couple hikers.

For reference I would say 68J is more difficult than Switzerland Trail (which I would rate 'easy').

Overall, it's my new favorite local trail. I had a blast and was able to push right up to the edge of where I was comfortable without feeling like I was being stupid. Not to mention some pretty sweet views...

off road driving

fun trail! i ran it opposite direction because i came from switzerland trail and did the "hard" gross trail first, which was smooth and easy. THIS gross trail was great and would be awesome to run the proper way, next time. right after rain or snowmelt it could probably be pretty gnarly but i didn't have any problems today. has fun ruts and wedges to get flexy in and a few cool rock sections. nice views in short bursts but definitely a cool trail all around. will be back in spring. if you'd like to see a video of the trail i have one up at:

07 ranger manual
bilsteins
13psi
33"
no lift
no locker
no sway bar

youtube trail channel: b roll offroad

have fun!

off road driving

Took my 2006 Jeep Liberty out in a couple inches of snow, great fun trail, not too hard. My liberty has 8.5in of clearance and didn't scrape on rocks once so if you know what youre doing you don't need a high clearance. The "no Trespassing signs" that other people have mentioned seem to be for the land that is outside the designated trail. So staying on the trail is totally fine. All in all a great place

off road driving

Trail still open as of 10/26. Went with my Jeep Trailhawk and had a blast. Some obstacles that you need to have higher knowledge of rock crawling to overcome. Otherwise very fun and great experience!

off road driving

Great trail but please remember to follow mountain etiquette leave nithing but yourtire track, NEVER go off trail and be sure to keep your wakes through mud puddles to minimum. Colorado is still a beautiful place because the natives have taken care of it. Let's keep it that way!

off road driving

Be ready to drive! This trial is a little bit more than moderate but definitely worth it! Beautiful!

Has lots of no trespassing and private property signs. Not sure if they're legit but not trying to find out.

Posted sign at trail head stating trail closed for restoration efforts. No start or end date listed. (sad face)

off road driving

I just moved from Texas and have never done off road driving before. bought a new 2017 f150 fx4 3.5 ecoboost a couple days ago and wanted to try it out so I chose give this trail a try. most fun I've had driving ever. had a few points where I thought I was going to flip my truck. there were a few times I thought I'd broken something but turns out it was just the rocks hitting my skid plate. definitely would do it again but with better weather. started sprinkling when I arrived but God held it off until I finished. then the heavier ran started. and it was awesome having the mud puddle at the end of the trail

off road driving

Very fun beginner road with some challenging spots, but nothing that is going to hurt anyone or the jeep. Took new teen driver in stock 2012 Wrangler, just west of Boulder, drove half the route in 4L, Some great views, some spots to develop technical skills and confidence with the help of a spotter around the bumps. Had to drive carefully in a few spots to avoid adding pinstripes. Started out very nervous and by the end our driver has a lot more confidence and comfort behind the wheel. Drove East to West, but if the easiest route is needed, the opposite direction would leave the more rocky spots for the end. There are plenty of scenic spots to pull off along the way.

off road driving

Fun run, done along with Gross Reservoir trail. Did it in a stock 2017 Trail Rated Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with adventure package. A couple of nice little challenges but nothing too crazy. Agree with Eli regarding difficulty of north trail vs. campground trail. Good outing for getting back into off-roading.

off road driving

7/2/17- Drove both the Gross Reservoir and this trail on the same day. This road will bring you back to Flagstaff. In my opinion this trail is much more suited for 4x4 in comparison to the Campground road which some sedans were able to navigate. Nothing too difficult, easily completed with JK with 2.5 inch lift and 33's