Learn more

Nice Kitty and Shinglemill Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(28)
Pike National Forest

Nice Kitty and Shinglemill Trail Loop is a 12.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Buffalo Creek, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,505 feet Route Type: Loop

Great hike but no shade at the start. Lots of great places to catch your breath and take in some views once you get into it. Lots of bikes but everyone is alert.

Nice trail lots of bikers. Go early because it is hot due to past forest fires and parking fills up.

The GPS on my Garmin watch tracked 14.4 miles for this loop and 2,286 for elev. Great trail conditions, dry, minimal shade due to majority of trail in burn area. I hiked/ ran CCW from Shinglemill to Nice Kitty which I liked better bc it was a gradual incline going up and steeper coming down Nice Kitty. Less bike traffic on weekdays!

The climb up was worth the ride down. Quiet and views are great!

I recommend being at the TH before 7 on weekends if you want parking there. Great loop that is closer to 13 miles (at least). Steady climbing on the way out and steady descending on the way home. Excellent trail surface. Popular with bikes. Will be hot in extended stretches of shade-less terrain traversing a big wildfire burn. Great views of the region.

Great hike. Got to trailhead around 7, very cool temps. Perfect for hiking. Met lots of bikers on the trail. Overall a wonderful day was had by the moof. My distance by Garmin was 14.46 miles.

This is my favorite moderate trail! I also started hiking at 2pm even though I'm usually a slow hiker, and made it back to the car just past 7pm. The views in the burn area (which is a significant portion of the trail) are amazing!!! I'd estimate there are also 4-5miles of gravel road walking involved, but the views in the other areas made it totally worth it!

Sat Jun 29 2019

Nice trail, very well maintained but very full of mountain bikes if you go on the weekend. Most of them were really nice and thankful to us moving out of the way. Probably had 20-30 go by us. Great views in the burn area if it's a clear day, but also very exposed. We clocked it at just about 13 miles from the parking lot and about 7 hours.

Sun Jul 22 2018

Did the entire loop yesterday. Has a great mix of everything, even the burn areas are beautiful. You will also be in the trees, so you get a great eclectic experience. An afternoon summer thunderstorm blew over us. Only got a rained on lightly for an hour before it cleared up and was completely sunny the rest of the afternoon. The elevation gains aren't bad at all, so you are able to move pretty quickly. We got a late start at 2pm on trail, and finished at 8pm on the dot, with sunshine to spare. All-in-all from parking lot to loop completion, we clocked 14 miles. The legs were feeling it in the last 3 miles, but it was definitely worth doing the entire loop. Barely saw anyone...no hikers and only a few bikers...the types of trails I love.

Thu Jun 27 2019