New York Mountain Trail

New York Mountain Trail is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Edwards, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Eagle: Go 18 miles east on I-70 to the Edwards exit. Go south on Highway 6, then turn west . Go 0.7 mile and turn right onto Lake Creek Road, at the National Forest Access sign. Travel 1.8 miles and turn right onto West Lake Creek Road. Be sure to stay on West Lake Creek Road as it winds through a residential area. Follow to Forest Road 423, a rough, rutted 4-wheel drive road and take it 3.2 miles until it deadends at Baryeta Cabins site. There is limited parking at the turnaround. The trail begins on the right-hand side just before reaching the cabin site, but there is only parking at the turnaround. There are no facilities at the trailhead. Those not wanting to drive the very rough Road 423, can park at the bottom and walk the 3.2 miles to the Baryeta Cabins site. Mountain bikers using the Bareyta Cabins Road are reminded that bikes are not permitted on trails through the Wilderness.

Did a little different version of the hike today with my daughter. Instead of starting at the cabins we cut 6 miles round trip and went around via Eagle and Sylvan State Park to the upper trailhead. Google sent us on a road that wasn't well maintain but we made it up to 418 this way and from there to the trailhead. Once on the trail it was a bluebird day and easy hiking. Our total out and back was 4.2 miles and 1,328 feet of ascent. Cairnes marked the way pretty well although close to the top they are a little hard to pick out. We spent over two hours at the summit since my hiking partner had to take some conference calls (5 bars and LTE). It gave me a chance to pace around a bit and watch the colors change as the sun moved across the sky and cotton ball clouds passed over. We figured out the roads on the way down (who knew paper maps could help) and cut almost 45 minutes off the commute. From the pavement above the Sylvan welcome center take 415 to 418 and turn left - about 45 minutes from the pavement. Great day. Great hike. Great views.

Overall this presentation is confusing. There are two segments here. I followed the driving instructions and arrived at the trailhead by Baryeta Cabins. As noted the road is extremely rutted and narrow. Setting off on the marked New York Mountain Trail was clear until midway up a series of meadows where the trail became invisible. If you hike from this point use my return track from the second trailhead to navigate or my edited route saved in uploaded routes. The Garmin Route and the actual route divert 180 degrees at this point. I bushwhacked along the Garmin route on the way up for about 45 minutes before reaching the actual trail. About 2.9 miles in you'll reach the second trailhead with parking that can be reached via Eagle for the actual climb to the peak. From this point the trail is fairly clear until closer to the top. I joined another hiker mid-way up this section who had done the hike before. We circled to the south around the summit to avoid more significant scrambling. In this case use my outbound route or edited route to navigate. Spent some time at the summit in beautiful weather although watched several storms run through the valley to the north, I started down and overshot the trail in the rocks before climbing back up. Upon returning the the second trailhead I followed a sign "to Baryeta Cabin" which was the actual trail back to the start. All in all an excellent hike. Out and back for me was about 10.4 miles and 3,400 gain. Track has been uploaded and suggested as route.

Beautiful hike, great adventure! The forest service road had huge ruts, pretty slow going in our Jeep Cherokee but we managed. Also that road is ~4.1 miles not 3.2 mikes! As for the hike, it was pretty but easy to loose the trail in the meadow around the first mile, we definitely lost it and just bushwhacked straight up hoping we would meet up with the trail again. Luckily we did! Beautiful wildflowers and nice views. There were a ton of trees fallen over the trail, seemed like Forest service hasn't been through with the chainsaw in a while. Strange ending spot for the trail. For some reason we thought this trail went to the top of New York Mountain, but it actually ends at the trailhead for the trail that summits the mountain. Pretty anticlimactic. If you want to climb New York Mountain make sure you go to the New York Mountain Trailhead from Eagle, not this trailhead from Edwards. Or, you could just keep going when you reach the summit trailhead and make it a 16 mile hike!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Have done this hike a few times now. First time with the kids. Always beautiful and enjoyable.