National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Ramble Trail

National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Ramble Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and road biking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Large black and white Great Dane no collar on trail now near water tank walking back to parking lot 4043143763

Great loop! Get there early to park on the street

Beautiful trail, but watch out for rattle snakes! We had to turn around halfway through because there was one in the middle of the trail that wouldn't move (it was sunning)- other than that it was great!

Great loop, easy run!

Great hike! Did the full loop and will for sure be back again. I recommend it to anyone just beginning hiking. It's a great easy trail with beautiful views and wonderful photo ops!

A good hike if you're looking for an easy trail with little incline. Took less than two hours and had a variety of views throughout. Dog friendly (on leash).

Took less than 2 hours. Nice views. Well marked but lots of trails, a map/app was a good call.

easy and comfortable trail

Really enjoyed the trail, especially the first half. Did the full loop and gps registered closer to 4 miles. Also the last piece was a bit steeper than expected.

Trails were well- maintained and traffic was light. Beautiful sunrise views.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

One of my very favorites. Make sure to take pictures of the trail maps as there are a few loops

Monday, August 29, 2016

Made a 7.5 mile loop starting at the homestead trail. Was an easy to slightly moderate hike. Much preferred the scenery/landscape on the homestead & shadow canyon side of the loop to this side.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

My knees would definitely rate this as a moderately-easy hike! Some steep elevation changes but really nice views. As a newcomer to the region, I also found the weather guides near the trailhead to be interesting and informative. Saw a handful of deer, chipmunks, and a rattlesnake!

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Beautiful trail but with multiple paths to take, I could see where it's easy to get lost. Pretty steep in some parts. Took about 1.5hrs to go around with a toddler on my back.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

I am dead and I am writing this review from beyond the grave. The NCAR has numerous intersecting trails that turn into each other and branch out from each other. There were no maps to take with you at the beginning. There were many parts of the trail that came to a fork and had zero signage so I don't even know what trail I actually ended up on. We started on a steep incline, followed by a heartwarming invitation to Emily for homecoming written in graffiti on a large green water tank, then awkwardly walked directly behind some people's backyards, and finally passed away (RIP) whilst walking up what I can only assume was a 90 degree incline. We were under power lines the entire time, we enjoyed the sounds of airplanes overhead, many areas of the trail were very slim and had tall grass and thorny plants scratching our legs as we walked though, part of the trail had us walking through and ducking under big bushes, and we were in direct sunlight nearly the entire time. One star because the mountains were admittedly beautiful, and one star for the hard, perky butt I assume I'll wake up with tomorrow morning.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

This is a great late afternoon/early evening hike. It's an easy hike with well regulated trails. It's mostly open to the elements with occasional tree cover.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Great hike. Love it here.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

I love this trail, even tho it was my first time to this one I enjoyed it!