Mummy Pass Trail (#937) is a 14.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bellvue, Colorado that features a lake. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 14.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,998 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The first 2 miles are on Emmaline Lake Trail (#945) and skirts the west side of the Pingree Park Campus of Colorado State University using a road that is bordered on both sides by private land. The Emmaline Lake Trail leads to the junction with the Mummy Pass Trail. One half mile from the junction, the Mummy Pass Trail enters the Comanche Peak Wilderness, and after 3 additional miles through forest then above timberline, it reaches the northern boundary of Rocky Mountain National Park. The trail continues in the park for 1.7 miles to Mummy Pass and also may be used for access to Mirror Lake, Comanche Peak, and other trails in the park system. Permits are required for overnight stays in Rocky Mountain National Park and no dogs are allowed.

Hiked on 08/24/2019. Naming this hike "Mummy Pass" may be somewhat of a misnomer. From the boundary of RMNP, one has to drop down to reach Mummy Pass, about 1.7 miles from the Park boundary. The hike through Comanche Peak Wilderness is beautiful and I saw at least a couple of moose. Once one reaches timberline (about a mile below the RMNP boundary) the trail takes off on a series of switchbacks with great views down-valley. The "summit" is the RMNP boundary, just at the base of Fall Mountain. I continued hiking towards Mummy Pass for about 0.5 miles, along a beautiful flat plateau. Then the trail drops and I stopped there, great views looking towards Mummy Pass. Very windy the day I hiked. A RT of about 12.4 miles from the small parking lot above Tom Bennett campground. Well worth the effort.

Not for the faint of heart. We started at Emmaline Lake Trail head and hiked in from the north side of the park to Mirror Lake.. I highly recommend being acclimated completely to the altitude before starting. (We didn’t, and learned the hard way). Give yourself one night at Cirque Meadows or a nearby campsite before you start. The hardest part of the hike is from the start of mummy pass trail up to the park border. The way down is not as bad. Mirror Lake is absolutely incredible. We were surrounded by wildlife the entire time, mostly moose, and views of the lake were astonishing. We did a total of 25 miles round trip with a stop at Cirque Meadows the last night. Water was abundant along the way and we were able to go with 2 Liters per person for the whole trip even though we originally started with three. I highly recommend the hike to mirror Lake from Emmaline Lake Trail head. Temperatures during the day were around 70 and down to the 30’s at night. We had very light rain in the early evenings, but nothing too bad. If you make it to Mirror Lake, say hi to our Bull Moose friends Bo and Jangle.

Got up to 7 miles. After that the trail dissipates and it’s hard to find it. A storm came in so we didn’t try that hard. There’s a couple parts for the snow but you can find the trail if you continue to use all trails app. The trail was delightful and we had a great time.

Amazing and beautiful hike! My AllTrails stopped a few times so does not show full mileage. We did 14.2 miles total. We missed about the last mile or less, weather was coming in fast and trail seemed to disappear. A bunch of wildflowers. Trail was a steadying incline nothing too much. Beautiful views. Would hike again. No snow just start early due to weather change. Only saw one other group of people.

Beautiful trail, not easily hikable until July. There is usually lots of snow during the latter half of this hike. Started at the Sky Ranch Trail, hiked through CSU mountain campus. Shortly before getting to Mummy's pass, there is a large rock formation on the right of the trail that we call "Cathedral." Love exploring the rocks, great view from atop the formation.

We made to within a mile of the Park boundary, but turned around because of 3 ft deep snow at about 10500 ft. Saw only 2 other people on the hike. We will be back later this summer after the snow melts!

Mon Oct 01 2018

We went last week and this hike was perfect! It was sunny and cool, but still warm enough to be comfortable. The aspens are changing color - the perfect autumn scenery. We were lucky - all of the snow is fully melted!

Sun Jul 08 2018

One of the better hikes I've been on within a short drive from Fort Collins. You essentially get to hike into RMNP from the backside, and I did not see a soul when I did it solo... only two very good sized bull moose that I watched feed for about 20 mins!! Was windy up above treeline, and it's a longer hike, so if you aren't a fast hiker, start early.

Sat Jun 18 2011

Calling all long distance hikers! You should check out this trail. Part of what makes this a long trail is the fact that you have to hike over a mile just to get to the trail head. However the scenery is all encompassing. What I mean by that is you get to hike through meadows, see wild flowers, and romp through wooded areas and cross the occasional stream. Once you get close to the end you are awarded with majestic views above tree line. The best part of the hike happened on the way back to my jeep. I was 90% of the way back and I hear a deep woompf, woompf, woompf to my right. I look over and a Bald Eagle is flying by me at head level. What a site that was. I wish I had my camera ready but no such luck.

Sat Sep 01 2018