Mule Deer Trail

moderate 112 reviews

Mule Deer Trail is a 9.6 mile loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,446 feet Route Type: Loop

Beautiful trail - mostly in the woods. Showshoes a must. I would rate this as an easy hike.

This was an amazing hike. My brother and I took detours on the Black Bear trail as well, which was a great lookout point.

Loved this trail! Ran out of time for more exploring today. But I’m coming back next weekend to see what I can find!

Completed this trail with "Blue Grouse and Mule Deer Loop". Beautiful, but the AllTrails map was off. Went Lost a car remote while I was hiking, if found, please bring it to the visitor center. Thank you! 10/13/2019 #51

Not too strenuous but great for a longer hike

Started at the start/end point marked on the default map here and traveled south just a mile or two before turning around and heading back. The leaves were AMAZING. Definitely at peak! I've never lucked out on timing this well! Pretty easy trail if you only do a couple miles of it, haha. Also fairly heavily trafficked by hikers and mountain bikers. Probably not usually that busy when the aspens aren't changing. Also, this is a state park so there's a fee to get in. I believe it was $8/day.

The leaves are beautiful, the trails are pretty easy and well marked, and some of our group saw a bull moose! Great trails!

What a lovely trail! It's long, which makes it a good exercise, but it's not really strenuous. There is some elevation but mostly, it goes through the open meadows and aspen groves. A great hike for Fall to enjoy the colors.

Amazing! Aspen are turning and will be even better early October.

This may be my favorite hike that I’ve ever done in Colorado. It was beautiful open fields, lush pine trees, and plenty of aspen trees. It had it all! While a long 9+ miles, I look forward to doing it again and I try to never repeat hikes! Oh, and the panoramic peak was great, although accessible via car, so a stark difference from the quiet trails. Lots of friendly mountain bikers on the trail!

I ran this with my dog at 8am. Beautiful! Mix of shady forest and sunny meadows. I had trouble finding the path at Panorama Point, and ended up on the Raccoon Trail briefly, which trimmed about .25 a mile off the run, unfortunately. By 9:30am there were lots of mountain bikers (it was a Centennial Cone odd day), but almost all of them were super polite.

Amazing fall colors right now. The prairie side is perfection.

Really nice hike - clear trails and very moderate terrain. Our 14 year old husky had no issues and wasn’t exhausted by the end even with a brisk pace.

I hiked from Bootleg bottom around clockwise and took Coyote back Bootleg, for 7.2 miles. Not much elevation gain but some beautiful views at Panorama Point and from the top of the Coyote trail. I wish I had ascended Coyote (its steep with big rocks) but enjoyed the trail. There was still snow on the trail around Panorama Point on the Mule/Raccoon portion of the trail on May 5th. No traction needed, but I was glad I was wearing waterproof shoes!

Sun Feb 03 2019

Went to Golden Gate originally to snowshoe Raccoon Trail. Raccoon was super packed down so decided to do part of Mule Trail instead which still had good snow cover. Beautiful hike, great views (we left from Panorama Point so we were on Raccoon for parts of it.) Very enjoyable in snowshoes with moderate inclines and declines.

Tue Sep 04 2018

This was a long hike, but worth it! Started at Panorama Point, Raccoon Trial and continued on to Mule Deer. The first half was mostly meadow, but beautiful. Stopped at the Old Barn picnic area for lunch then crossed the street to continue on Mule Deer. Very easy at first, then some switch backs which makes it moderately difficult. Opens up to some beautiful meadows and the fall colors are beautiful right now. At Frasier meadows you will come to several paths, take the one labeled Coyote and Mule Deer to continue. The next fork was not labeled when we got there. Go LEFT to continue on Mule Deer. Depending on how fast you hike, Panorama Pont is 1.5-2 hours away.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Be ready for a long hike! It was a good hike, lots of different terrain. Some of the signs (I felt) were mis labeled with the distance to go to get somewhere. The panoramic view was beautiful.

Wed Jul 18 2018

So nice! Beautiful meadows and wildflowers. We did have some difficulty at Panorama View with the trail markings, but it was quite a lovely hike.

Wed Jun 27 2018

Very nice hike! I started at the Barn Knoll parking lot, crossed the street and started on the trail there. I would rate the trail as easy-moderate. There are two slightly steep areas and the length of the trail gets the moderate rating. The rest is a very gradual incline, down, or flat. Lots of different scenery. I really liked the Frazer Meadow portion of it. At the panoramic overlook, finding the trail again to continue is confusing. Exit the platform to the right and find the raccoon trail and take it left. To the right is a raccoon loop that will add 2.0 miles to your hike. A little ways down after you went left it indicates that you are on the the mule deer trail (and raccoon trail) and on the way back to Barn Knoll parking. This portion of the trail is very single track and surrounded by high grass. It almost seemed more like a horse trail than a hiking trail, but was okay for the 1.5 of it like this.

Sun May 27 2018

Beautiful trail with great views! Pretty easy to access and lots of parking at several trail heads. Some parts of the trail aren't well marked and it could use a bit more upkeep.

Thu May 10 2018

Listed as moderate but honestly very easy in terms of a wonderfully maintained trail. The only reason to rate is as moderate is because of the length of the loop.

Sun Apr 29 2018

Nice trail, not too crowded!

Sun Apr 01 2018

Today may have not been the best day to trek the loop. Lots of snow and ice, just slick enough to need bands. Of course we didn’t bring any. Beautiful day though. Frazier valley is nice.

Sun Mar 18 2018

Hiked Blue Grouse to Mule Deer, up to Frazier Meadow, a bit of Coyote, and then back to Mule Deer TH before going back to Blue Grouse. Beautiful and peaceful. So many trails. Look forward to returning. Just a few icy patches near Frazier Meadow. No need for spikes, just tread carefully in those areas.

Sat Feb 10 2018

Easy to follow trails and not super strenuous. Not much snow overall, but some in spots - no extra traction needed. Walked up to Windy Peak as well. Overall fun hike.

Sun Nov 26 2017

This was great hike with lots of different scenery. Went in November when the weather was unusually warm and didn’t run into many people on the trail.

Tue Oct 24 2017

Didn’t do the entire trail. But it’s beautiful with a wind variety of terrain. Will go back and do the whole thing.