Mule Deer Trail is a 9.6 mile loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,446 feet Route Type: Loop

Coming from sea level, this hike definitely got my heart racing at times, so I agree with the moderate rating. Most crowded on the section that overlaps with Racoon Trail near Panorama Point. Otherwise, super quiet trail on a weekday, only saw a few other hikers. Nice mix of mountain views, forested areas, aspen groves, and the occasional meadow. Took me 3.5 hours.

fee

Nice easy hike with great views. There are a few aspen meadows along the trail and some small historical sites as well. Trail is in great condition and is well marked.

Nice hike not hard at all.

fee

Trail was in decent condition, there’s parts that are pretty narrow and deep so you are more or less walking in a rut. Went off the trail about half way through and climbed to the top of Tremont Mountain. Great view from up top!

Very little snow left. Nothing super exciting, but a lovely, fairly flat in the woods. Can’t wait to visit in the fall!

I started at the connection between Mule Deer and Blue Grouse Trail south of the trail head because the road was closed- lots of beautiful scenery the first 6 miles or so with moderate incline but plenty of time to rest with flat parts; the latter 3 miles were a little less exciting as the trail borders private property. Total distance was about 10.5 miles with the connecting trail - would recommend, particularly for those new to altitude.

icy

Wonderful trail! The only issue was that in certain areas, the trail was completely gone - nothing but one other person's footprints for a bit, and then nothing at all. I would definitely take caution going on this trail during the winter. Microspikes are a must, and snowshoes would have made it a lot easier. Beautiful trail overall!

Beautiful trail - mostly in the woods. Showshoes a must. I would rate this as an easy hike.

This was an amazing hike. My brother and I took detours on the Black Bear trail as well, which was a great lookout point.

Loved this trail! Ran out of time for more exploring today. But I’m coming back next weekend to see what I can find!

Completed this trail with "Blue Grouse and Mule Deer Loop". Beautiful, but the AllTrails map was off. Went Lost a car remote while I was hiking, if found, please bring it to the visitor center. Thank you! 10/13/2019 #51

Not too strenuous but great for a longer hike

Started at the start/end point marked on the default map here and traveled south just a mile or two before turning around and heading back. The leaves were AMAZING. Definitely at peak! I've never lucked out on timing this well! Pretty easy trail if you only do a couple miles of it, haha. Also fairly heavily trafficked by hikers and mountain bikers. Probably not usually that busy when the aspens aren't changing. Also, this is a state park so there's a fee to get in. I believe it was $8/day.

The leaves are beautiful, the trails are pretty easy and well marked, and some of our group saw a bull moose! Great trails!

What a lovely trail! It's long, which makes it a good exercise, but it's not really strenuous. There is some elevation but mostly, it goes through the open meadows and aspen groves. A great hike for Fall to enjoy the colors.

Amazing! Aspen are turning and will be even better early October.

This may be my favorite hike that I’ve ever done in Colorado. It was beautiful open fields, lush pine trees, and plenty of aspen trees. It had it all! While a long 9+ miles, I look forward to doing it again and I try to never repeat hikes! Oh, and the panoramic peak was great, although accessible via car, so a stark difference from the quiet trails. Lots of friendly mountain bikers on the trail!

I ran this with my dog at 8am. Beautiful! Mix of shady forest and sunny meadows. I had trouble finding the path at Panorama Point, and ended up on the Raccoon Trail briefly, which trimmed about .25 a mile off the run, unfortunately. By 9:30am there were lots of mountain bikers (it was a Centennial Cone odd day), but almost all of them were super polite.

Amazing fall colors right now. The prairie side is perfection.

Sat May 25 2019

Really nice hike - clear trails and very moderate terrain. Our 14 year old husky had no issues and wasn’t exhausted by the end even with a brisk pace.

Sun May 05 2019

I hiked from Bootleg bottom around clockwise and took Coyote back Bootleg, for 7.2 miles. Not much elevation gain but some beautiful views at Panorama Point and from the top of the Coyote trail. I wish I had ascended Coyote (its steep with big rocks) but enjoyed the trail. There was still snow on the trail around Panorama Point on the Mule/Raccoon portion of the trail on May 5th. No traction needed, but I was glad I was wearing waterproof shoes!

Tue Apr 09 2019

Sun Feb 03 2019

Went to Golden Gate originally to snowshoe Raccoon Trail. Raccoon was super packed down so decided to do part of Mule Trail instead which still had good snow cover. Beautiful hike, great views (we left from Panorama Point so we were on Raccoon for parts of it.) Very enjoyable in snowshoes with moderate inclines and declines.

Tue Sep 04 2018

This was a long hike, but worth it! Started at Panorama Point, Raccoon Trial and continued on to Mule Deer. The first half was mostly meadow, but beautiful. Stopped at the Old Barn picnic area for lunch then crossed the street to continue on Mule Deer. Very easy at first, then some switch backs which makes it moderately difficult. Opens up to some beautiful meadows and the fall colors are beautiful right now. At Frasier meadows you will come to several paths, take the one labeled Coyote and Mule Deer to continue. The next fork was not labeled when we got there. Go LEFT to continue on Mule Deer. Depending on how fast you hike, Panorama Pont is 1.5-2 hours away.

Sat Aug 18 2018

Be ready for a long hike! It was a good hike, lots of different terrain. Some of the signs (I felt) were mis labeled with the distance to go to get somewhere. The panoramic view was beautiful.