Mule Deer, Coyote, and Elk Trails

Mule Deer, Coyote, and Elk Trails is a 3.4 mile loop trail located near Black Hawk, Colorado and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from April until October.

pretty trail, gorgeous views at the top. we even got to see wild turkey and some mule deer!

This is a gorgeous state park. I would rate the trails as easy, the coyote trail has a bit of steep rock hiking, but it is accessible for anyone able-bodied.

We got there a bit before 9 am on a Saturday and it wasn't too crowded...though on our way out around 1:30 the entrance and parking lots were packed.

Went on Oct 1, 2016 and the colors were perfect.

Great track. Started at Bootleg Bottom and took Coyote trail up to Frazer Meadow. Coyote is steep with a short rocky area that is close to scrambling. Arriving at Frazer Meadow makes the climb worthwhile. Beautiful mountain meadow with tons of wildflowers and very few people. Descended Mule Deer trail to Ole Barn Knoll and couldn't find the continuation of Mule Deer so hiked the road back to Bootleg Bottom. Total 5.65 miles. Great workout.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Monday, April 04, 2016

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Beautiful hike! We look forward to returning in the summer. The mountain base road is closed, so we had 15-20 minutes added to the drive.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Beautiful trail and saw an Elk cross the path!

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Started above Kriley Pond and took Blue Grouse to Mule Deer. Once you cross the road the first time, the trail is actually still called Mule Deer, not Elk as it shows on the All Trails map. Made it to the trailhead of Coyote only to learn that Coyote is rated as Super difficult with very steep terrain and some boulder climbing. I was bummed, as I relied on All Trails to be accurate with their levels. I had to turn around and go back the way I came. The views were beautiful and the Aspen trees were so colorful, but I was always in earshot of traffic noise.