Mule Creek Trail

Mule Creek Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Woodland Park, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Love this trail. Today up past the road crossing about 2 miles in I came across a ton of turkey feathers across the trail, and a freshly ripped off wing. I’d guess a mountain lion got it, so be aware! Some lost looking wild turkey chicks were wandering about in the meadow beyond, I think the predator must have gotten their mom just shortly before I arrived (had dog and pepper spray along and didn’t see any other signs). In general this is a beautiful and fairly easy hike, but it was a reminder that wild nature still exists within a short drive from town.

This was a good hike just to do something short and go outside without exerting myself. It’s nothing really spectacular, and it’s fairly short. But this can also be a good thing. I would recommend this trail for if you have children, or if you just want to go outside and don’t have too much time :)

Super easy, pretty little hike. Great for little kids.

Awesome spot for a quick, scenic hike. Beautiful creek and rocks.

For a Maryland girl trying to get acclimated to the elevation, this was the perfect hike! My dog and I continued on pass what All Trails calls the end. We went until we got to the dirt road. It was really beautiful! I imagine in the spring it is totally awesome! We spent much time hopping the creek exploring both sides. Other than the birds, didn't see any wildlife (nor did we see any elk or deer droppings). This we found disappointing. But it is a perfect 1.5 hour hike (for someone slow like me).

Very pretty short hike along a small creek. Many creek crossings / fords so you may get wet. Immediately across from Red Rocks Trail.

Great for a quick hike and if you go in winter you might catch the river and waterfall completely frozen, which is stunning.

Beautiful hike...even in winter...though it can get muddy and icy...

Great dog trail, have heard of this called the unofficial Woodland Park dog park :) Never busy but we seem to run into at least one other person or group every time. Very common to see dogs romping through the water together. Gets VERY muddy during snowmelt but still traversable. Have never biked this trail nor seen others doing it, would be pretty boring on a bike.

Love this trail! Being near the water the whole time makes this one of my favorites!

Good quick hike with the dog

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Very lovely and easy hike. There is a smell from the poluted river for a little bit, but it passes after a bit. There are quite a few cow pies and the trail was a bit confusing to me with the creek. If you stay on the rocky/cliff side of the creek, there's a very tight, but good trail for avoiding the creek. According to All Trails, the trail ends at a sign that says, "Private Property." It actually continues for quite a while, eventually becoming Divide Trail 717.

Saturday, July 08, 2017

easy trail along shady Creek.

Monday, July 03, 2017

I take my dog here fairly often and my parents took me here when I was little. People rarely have their dogs on a leash so be prepared for that if you have a skittish dog. Overall I love it, but I agree with the reviewer here who mentioned the pollution. It's a very easy, leisurely hike, you just have to find the little makeshift bridges to cross the stream in places. There is no view but the beauty of the forest makes up for that.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Oh how I wish I could give this trail 5 stars as it is truly beautiful along the creek. I use to bike here 15 years ago. I dropped a star because the first 30 minutes of trail it is evident of a polluted creek - you can smell it, see the foam collecting along the banks and rocks, and my dog would not go in it or drink it. The smell and foam increase as you hike up the trail and Just before the private land and no trespassing sign, cross the creek to the right. Someone built a "bridge" so you don't have to put your feet in this water, but if you choose not to use the bridge, know that there is a clean snow fed creek that you come upon almost immediately to rinse off and it stays with you the rest of the way. There are several entries to this clean creek for your dog to get drink and for you to cool off. You will see wild irises. When you come to the road, cross it - trail continues. Quiet peaceful easy hike. And as others have mentioned, not populated and no dirt bikes allowed (this is new since my last time here in 2002)

Saturday, May 13, 2017

This trail is pretty great. Follows a nice little stream. Muddy in spots, with a few easy water crossings. Hardly anyone there. My dog had a blast. Don't trust all the pics on here, some are clearly not from this trail. The trail doesn't end where the map shows it does, you just have to cross the stream and it keeps going farther, you'll cross a dirt road it keeps going even farther.

Saturday, May 06, 2017

It's a lovely walk, follows the creek, very easy, little or no altitude gain, good walk to relax and enjoy the woods. Also great for dog who loves water.

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Simple and peaceful. My dogs absolutely loved this trail.

Saturday, October 07, 2017