Mt Sherman from Iowa Gultch

Mt Sherman from Iowa Gultch is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips.

Hiked on Sunday, October 29th. This was an incredibly difficult hike for me. I've only been in Colorado for 3 weeks and I'm definitely not used to the altitude yet. Looking at the weather forecast I had to hike it now or not at all so I decided to go for it.

Getting there is easy in that there is one road in (from Fairplay) but my goodness the road is horrendous. It is much worse when your suspension is already shot but yeah, give yourself ample time to get to the trailhead as the road is pretty rough.

The climb was steady and tough for me. It was my first 14er and I wanted to give up several times. There are about 2 or 3 false summits that are discouraging but I knew it was something I had to complete.

I was slow going and don't know how long it took me to get up there but if it is your first time, give yourself about 5 hours to be on the safe side. It is possible to finish it quickly (one guy came in late and booked it the whole way - probably in 3 hours) though. The views at the top are phenomenal. There was snow in multiple places but I never felt like I needed crampons or any other equipment to summit. There were a few spots where the wind was just absolutely insane, enough to physically shift me. My dog made it to the top with me and overall it was a great day!

Did this 10/28. Snow and ice patches here and there. Brought microspikes that helped a bunch !! We were the first to go up and difficult to identify the trail even on the way down. Nice view and minor rock scramble at the top. Last few feet at the top was mostly flat which was a plus! Watch out for the saddle wind !

Monday, September 26, 2016