Mt Sherman from Iowa Gultch

Mt Sherman from Iowa Gultch is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips.

There is a lot of confusion about the trails up Mount Sherman. This one says its from the Fairplay side, but the link for directions takes you to the Leadville side. The Fairplay side is more moderate than the Leadville side. Many of the complaints I've read are likely due to this confusion. The Leadville side is difficult as you negotiate Rock and Scree from near the very start.

Love going up sherman/Sheridan from Iowa Gulch. Gorgeous wildflowers for the first 1/2 mile or so and if you're early enough the first hour, hour and half the trail will be yours and yours alone.
Did Sheridan today, the peak was mine and .mine alone - amazing!! Then helped new friend Tamara and Ollie the dog get un-stuck, amazing hike and a good deed. Day couldn't have been better!

late to post but completed this hike June 10th. Would have to agree with post from Pat. Hard trail, insane high winds, beautiful views. Most if not all hikers take the other route and if I was to repeat I would probably do the other trail to summit Sherman but was thankful for a great hike and beautiful views!

So 4 stars instead of 5. I'll get to that. We just completed this trek, 6/13/18. I have read a few reviews for this elsewhere, that say this is such an easy hike. Don't totally agree with that. It was similar to the Mt. Democrat hike we just did in terms of low miles, and not a lot of elevation gain to claim a 14er. But I think Democrat was easier. So let's begin. This trail starts in the Iowa Gulch on the Leadville side of Sherman. It drops down to the creek and there are a few crossings to make that were easy. Then some mud to navigate. Then promptly starts climbing up the talus field. There were a few snow drifts to go across too, and they were still frozen at 9 a.m. That was a little unnerving, and one of them we completely went around on more talus, lest we risk sliding out of control and ending the hike right there. Then this trail just keeps climbing up and up. Probably a good time to mention that Colorado trail builders apparently don't believe in switch backs. And you don't encounter any until right below the saddle between Sherman and Sheridan. And the constant thought of what it was going to be like to go down, kept you busy. Once at the saddle, you bear left and head up more non switch back climbing. One thing I have not heard anyone mention about this stretch, is that once you are above the saddle about 2/10 or so, the trail now follows a fairly narrow ridge line. Not knife edge, but close. And now the reason for 4 stars. We did have a stellar blue bird day. The trail, steep as it is, is easy enough to find the whole way. What we didn't expect was the horrific winds that ensued along that ridge line section, until we got above the false summit, and then the rest of the way to the summit is almost flat and the winds settled down. It was crazy windy. Like probably 40-50 mile an hour sustained winds. No let up. Not fun. Once at the top we sat for about 20 minutes in low to no winds? That was weird, but much appreciated after that blast we just got. It took us 3 hours to summit, and my Garmin said 2.4. Now for the return trip back down. I warned my fellow hiking cronies that we will probably encounter those winds again at that spot, for whatever reason. Well, that was an understatement. As they were now so bad I would venture to guess they were closer to 70-75 miles an hour, steady!!!. It was the worst mother nature encounter I have EVER had. I had the chin strap cinched so tight on my hat, it was cutting off the blood flow, and yet the wind was doing it's best to rip my hat from my head and deposit it in Fairplay. At one point I had to hold onto my wife as I didn't think she was going to manage the last 50' or so to where we had a small area that was blocked. Unfortunately, it only let up slightly the whole way down. Wind burned?? Bad. I know that there is usually windy conditions at high elevations, but this was another story. All that aside, the views on top are great, and the rating of hard or difficult above is accurate. Not to discourage anyone, we just had a bad encounter today. One I will not soon like to repeat!!

Hiked on Sunday, October 29th. This was an incredibly difficult hike for me. I've only been in Colorado for 3 weeks and I'm definitely not used to the altitude yet. Looking at the weather forecast I had to hike it now or not at all so I decided to go for it.

Getting there is easy in that there is one road in (from Fairplay) but my goodness the road is horrendous. It is much worse when your suspension is already shot but yeah, give yourself ample time to get to the trailhead as the road is pretty rough.

The climb was steady and tough for me. It was my first 14er and I wanted to give up several times. There are about 2 or 3 false summits that are discouraging but I knew it was something I had to complete.

I was slow going and don't know how long it took me to get up there but if it is your first time, give yourself about 5 hours to be on the safe side. It is possible to finish it quickly (one guy came in late and booked it the whole way - probably in 3 hours) though. The views at the top are phenomenal. There was snow in multiple places but I never felt like I needed crampons or any other equipment to summit. There were a few spots where the wind was just absolutely insane, enough to physically shift me. My dog made it to the top with me and overall it was a great day!

Did this 10/28. Snow and ice patches here and there. Brought microspikes that helped a bunch !! We were the first to go up and difficult to identify the trail even on the way down. Nice view and minor rock scramble at the top. Last few feet at the top was mostly flat which was a plus! Watch out for the saddle wind !

Sunday, July 02, 2017