Mt. Huron Trail

Mt. Huron Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

One of Colorado's 14ers. Great, easy to follow trail. Need 4x4 to get to the top trailhead.

Completed this hike in the middle of September. Arrived at the trailhead around 5:00am and enjoyed stunning views of the open night sky and heavy silence all around. To be clear, I parked my car about a half mile away from the official trailhead. I think I may be too cautious with my vehicle as I noticed other cars with lower clearance at the trailhead upon my return, but parts of the road about are pretty gnarly so use your discretion. Hiking up the road in the dark was great- a family a deer revealed themselves as glowing eyes and then rather quietly and quickly bounced away. The trailhead begins in the woods and offers beautiful and lush pine growth. It climbs steadily for some time before emerging from the tree line. Once past the tree line, there is a brief reprieve from the climb as the trail flattens out and offers great view as you look back towards the direction you came. Good spot to take a break. The wind was really kicking up at this point without any shelter from the trees and even though the sun had risen, overcast skies and below freezing temperatures made this a bitterly cold ascent at times. The final hump is more steep travel as you can imagine, and from the shoulder is probably another hour or so to the summit. Patches of snow and ice dotted the trail on the way up. The summit is absolutely beautiful offering views of many ranges all around you. The wind was quite intense up there, so be prepared. The whole trip took me about 7 hours.

Very challenging hike. Our first 14,000 footer , it was so incredible and beautiful.

Tough hike, especially below the tree line where there isn’t much reward. Started at around 5:15 and gained the summit at a bit after 8. Great view of the Apostles.

Scenic hike. Started hailing and snowing around 8am and it got slippery at the top with strong winds. Be prepared for any weather conditions.

This was my first 14er, and I really enjoyed it! The views were awesome.

7 Miles to be more exact... difficult at the top as it is quite steep and slippery, more difficult on the way down. it was actually snowing on the way down. I was just under 6 hours.

Super scenic! Took about 2 hours to summit, and got snowed on at the top! The skies parted and revealed the awesome view of the surrounding peaks.

I would recommend trying to get up to the actual trailhead, unlike us. Otherwise, when you get to the bottom, you realize you have to still walk back to your car two miles away, which is prettyyyyy torturous. Other than that it was a gorgeous hike. Definitely, some scrambling to get to the top and I wished I had hiking poles at many different times. BUT the view was so worth the pained knees!

It was a fairly challenging hike with breath taking views.

Trail is well-marked. Our 2001 4Runner handled the 4x4 road to the trailhead with ease, although it was slow going in spots, but we didn't have to worry about clearance. Took us 3 hours to summit and 2 hours to descend; we took our sweet time on this hike since the weather was good and the scenery was glorious - abundant wildflowers, ptarmigan, pika, and marmots. The trail ascends gradually, but has a few steep(ish) spots near the summit; this was more of a problem going down, and we're glad we took our trekking poles. This would be a good "First 14er" for a reasonably fit person living in CO (I'd hesitate taking my 60-yr old mom who lives in GA, despite her being healthy and active).

Hiked on July 19. We had great weather the entire way. Left the trailhead at 5am and sat at the top for about an hour, hardly any wind at all and very sunny at the summit by close to 9am. After arriving at the flat meadow part at the face of the mountain it took us about two hours more from that point. Our total ascent time was 2 hours 45 mins with lots of stops along the way. 360 view at the top. Get an early start! T-storms came in soon after we got back to the trailhead.

Question: people keep saying high clearance to make it to the 4wd parking lot. We have a Nissan Armada, it does have 4wd, will it's clearance be enough? Thank you!

Great hike. Started from 2nd trailhead - definately need a 4WD to get up there. Trail climbs about 1000ft/mile, so pretty steep. Mostly dry, just a couple melting snowfields in the meadow above treeline before starting the climb up the summit. No need for traction devices or gaters. Tracker says 6.3 miles roundtrip.
Perfect blue sky day at the summit
(If you don't have 4WD park at lower trailhead. Total hike will be around 11miles)

A nice workout. Great veiws.

Wonderful trail! Well maintained, with a great variety of scenery. Surrounded by trees at the beginning (gets steep there, but don't give up!) Then you reach a meadow with beautiful flowers and marmots above treeline. Rock field at the top is challenging and steep, but SO worth it at the top. Wonderful hike!

We got a mid morning start and ran into an early afternoon lighting storm. The storm came in from the west and horseshoed around us we were attempting to take shelter on the easterly shoulder below the final summit approach. Lightning zapped every lower peak around us and then moved on. Be smarter than us and start early enough to be off the summit by early afternoon. Great mountain!

a crazy day: we had a 2 wheel drive and can't make it all the way to the trail head of La Plata peak, so we hitchhiked and ride with a truck...then ended at this trailhead. It's mid of July and the peak of wildflower season, all the flowers are so out of control! then we hiked all the way back to the car and I went to a wedding in denver dancing till midnihgt

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Need 4x4 to get to the top trailhead. Wonderful hike, gorgeous views, a little bit of scrambling over rock required at the top. Arguably one of the prettiest 14er hikes I've done. Summit is small but 360 degree views are outstanding!

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Really good views, not super hard although it's pretty steep at some points

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Bring your oxygen tank! This was the toughest, most rewarding hike I have ever done. The views are astonishing up there. There's wine and cheese at the top!