Mt. Huron Trail

Mt. Huron Trail is a 5.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Buena Vista, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

rock climbing

One of Colorado's 14ers. Great, easy to follow trail. Need 4x4 to get to the top trailhead.

7 Miles to be more exact... difficult at the top as it is quite steep and slippery, more difficult on the way down. it was actually snowing on the way down. I was just under 6 hours.

Super scenic! Took about 2 hours to summit, and got snowed on at the top! The skies parted and revealed the awesome view of the surrounding peaks.

I would recommend trying to get up to the actual trailhead, unlike us. Otherwise, when you get to the bottom, you realize you have to still walk back to your car two miles away, which is prettyyyyy torturous. Other than that it was a gorgeous hike. Definitely, some scrambling to get to the top and I wished I had hiking poles at many different times. BUT the view was so worth the pained knees!

It was a fairly challenging hike with breath taking views.

Trail is well-marked. Our 2001 4Runner handled the 4x4 road to the trailhead with ease, although it was slow going in spots, but we didn't have to worry about clearance. Took us 3 hours to summit and 2 hours to descend; we took our sweet time on this hike since the weather was good and the scenery was glorious - abundant wildflowers, ptarmigan, pika, and marmots. The trail ascends gradually, but has a few steep(ish) spots near the summit; this was more of a problem going down, and we're glad we took our trekking poles. This would be a good "First 14er" for a reasonably fit person living in CO (I'd hesitate taking my 60-yr old mom who lives in GA, despite her being healthy and active).

Hiked on July 19. We had great weather the entire way. Left the trailhead at 5am and sat at the top for about an hour, hardly any wind at all and very sunny at the summit by close to 9am. After arriving at the flat meadow part at the face of the mountain it took us about two hours more from that point. Our total ascent time was 2 hours 45 mins with lots of stops along the way. 360 view at the top. Get an early start! T-storms came in soon after we got back to the trailhead.