Mount Herman Scramble

Mount Herman Scramble is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Pine Crest, Colorado that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

old growth

This is a challenging scramble up Mt Herman's east face. The lower section of the route winds through the forest, ascending and gradually getting steeper. The upper section of the route works along a prominent spine, presenting options between fun bouldering/scrambling moves and less demanding walk-arounds. Downloading the GPX track is highly recommended. While the lower section is reasonably well marked and obvious the upper section is an unmarked scramble. Bring hiking poles for the descent. It is steep and depending on the tail taken may require the use of a fixed line in one section. Microspikes are also recommended for wintry conditions.

Sort of a bushwhack. I was fortunate to be with a friend who knew the area well. He paraglides from the summit regularly. It would have been a much more challenging trek without him. In any event, a great time was had by all. We descended by the normal route in 1/3rd the time it took me to get up. BTW I am in my mid 70’s and the next oldest member of our troupe is 45.

One of the worst trails ever!

1) No sign at the trailhead
2) No sign ever at which way is the trail
3) Super steep and no place to grab for your safety- No stairs, but just dangerous paths.

I was able to get to the top where the flag is- but there was no way of making to the "loop" as the map suggested. I got lost so many times even following the map, this 2.7 mile hike turned into 4.1 mile hike and crazy enough to tell you but the "trail" took me to nearly to death experience because the path I follow took me to a cliff and I fell from my face. Yep, I didn't think I was going to be able to get back after all. Today's weather was foggy, misty and nobody was around get a help from. I DO NOT recommend this trail to a beginner and kids. Although the views were amazing. Wish they do better job on making this place safe.

Oh and please do not go there by yourself!

Monday, June 12, 2017

Download or bring a trail map with you. There is a web of trails and social trails here and there are no signs or trail markers. The hike is pretty much straight up and straight down. There are no switchbacks except towards the bottom. Trekking poles are definitely needed as there's loose dirt on steep trails.
When we got to the top we couldn't find the south side of the loop trail. There were multiple trails at the top making it quite confusing!
It's a hard workout! But it's quiet and very shaded! There are beautiful views along the hike and at the top!

Monday, April 24, 2017