Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail

Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alma, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is accessible year round through the Kite Lake Trailhead. The road near the top is treacherous, but easy enough to park a half mile down the road before that part and hike.

Mt. Democrat only. Spectacular views and perfect weather! Arrived at 8am on a Saturday and had to park behind at least a 100 cars a half mile down the road from the trailhead parking area. There were easily 300+ climbers on the mountain but it didn't feel overly crowded. It took my teenage son and me 2.5 hours up and 2 down going at very leisurely pace. It was strenuous but worth it!

We reached the trail head the day before around 6:00 pm and the 5 tent sites were taken. We camped below the trail head in national forest just off the road. We could here cars passing all night and started heavy again around 4:30 in the morning. We drove up to the trail head around 6:00 am It was very busy early in the morning. The parking lot was full and cars were parking on the side of the road. We decided to start with Bross first and I'm glad we did. The majority of the people started out on Democrat and when we reached the summit of Bross we were by ourselves for at least 15 minutes. Bross wasn't bad going up I think I would rather go up Bross then down it looked like it would be very slippery and steep going down. Getting to Lincoln and Cameron from here is not bad. By the time we reached Lincoln we were in a crowed of cattle. Good to see so many people enjoying our outdoors. Everyone was friendly and in good spirits despite the cold and wind. We went over Cameron and only stopped for a photo op. Getting down Cameron into the saddle is rough and very rocky as is getting up Democrat. I feel the saddle between Democrat and Cameron is the rockiest part of the hike. By the time we reached the summit of Democrat the majority of the crowed was gone and at the end we were by ourselves again. All and all it is a rough loop little harder then I was expecting. From where we parked it was an 8 mile round trip.

What an incredible hike and stunning views! I've hiked three 14ers and this was Lori's first. If this is your first 14er, take your time. It's not a race. You win when you safely complete the loop and drive to a nearby tavern to celebrate your accomplishment.

We hiked on a Wednesday, reached the trailhead at 6:20am and there were still a couple of spots left in the parking lot ($3 fee).

The dirt road was fine for the first few miles, but gets rocky after that. We saw a few sedans at the trailhead but AWD and clearance help. Given that it was mid-week, the trail wasn't very busy. Those you run into are very friendly, but we saw only one dog - too rocky so be careful if you want to bring yours. It was reasonably easy to stay on trail up to the saddle, where it turned incredibly windy. The cold only added to the adventure - temps in 30s.

It's August but bring layers. I had a short sleeve, 2 long sleeves, a waterproof windbreaker, hat, and gloves.

We encountered snow prior to hitting 13k - less than an inch and all from the night before. We did not hike Democrat and went straight over to Cameron, then Lincoln, and off to Bross. Initially, coming down Bross was fine, but it quickly steepens. I can't vouch for Democrat, but it felt like a class 1 till we came down Bross. Just take your time and definitely bring poles.

My tracker logged 6.5 miles (remember, we didn't hike Democrat) and it took us 6 hrs, 50 min. Good luck! Oh, Lori's ready to tackle Democrat :)

My friend and I tackled The Decalibron Loop the other day and it was a magnificent trip up the mountain(s). We started around 7 am and completed the full loop around 2 pm. I have completed five different 14ers to date (Gray's, Bierstadt, Quandary, Elbert and Evans), and Mount Democrat was by far one of the easiest I've done. It was probably attributed to starting at 12,000 ft. Either way, it was pretty clear for most of the day with the exception of some light snow while coming down Democrat. It was incredibly windy at the top of Mount Cameron and that wind continued all the way to the top of Mount Lincoln. We did, however, find some cover on the east side of Lincoln, which game us some time to rest and escape the harsh blows. Although Mount Bross is technically on "private land", we still decided to complete the loop, along with a few others, and go down it's backside. Coming down the backside of Bross can be somewhat treacherous, as it is incredibly steep and covered in scree. This is where the route garners it's Class 2 difficulty. This is also where my hiking poles came in handy, as I was able to scale down the side of the mountain with relative ease. The tracker on my phone said our round trip route was 8.2 miles, even though the trailhead says it only 7.6. This was by far and away one of the best 14ers I've done and would highly recommend it for any 14er noobies (much like my friend who tackled his 1st four in one day)!

Cold and windy on this day even though it was mid-August. A fairly nasty storm rolled in just as we were coming down at around 1:30pm. There is no cover until you get back to the parking lot.This is definitely a "hard" hike. Very steep in throughout with lots of skree in spots. Watch your footing and bring poles if you have them. Like a lot of 14ers it gets pretty crowded and parking can be difficult. We were able to camp at the trailhead the night before .which made getting on the trail early much easier. This was a challenging one but the views and the fact you can knock back four 14ers in one day make this worth it. If you have the time take the .7 mile trek from the parking lot and head up to the other lake. It had a nice setting and we had the place to ourselves.

Beautiful hike. As mentioned numerous times you want to step carefully coming down bross. Started at 720am finished at 1125am.

Great hike! Slept in my car (the parking lot was full by 9pm the night before) and started at 4:30am... just in time to beat all the big groups. Made it to Democrat right at sunrise. It was pretty windy and on the cool side the whole day but it also kept clouds away for some amazing views. The hardest part was coming down Bross.. and that's just do to old knees. Finished at 11am.

Amazing to hit 4 summits in 1 hike. Do not go up Bross first you will regret it

The road there was a little suspicious, but worth it. The views were great. We did not dress for all weather. It was quite cold, windy, and sprinkled off and on. Make sure you have the proper hiking gear, because it is difficult and will take a while to complete all 4 peaks.