Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail

Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alma, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

skiing

snowboarding

private property

The trail is accessible year round through the Kite Lake Trailhead. The road near the top is treacherous, but easy enough to park a half mile down the road before that part and hike.

Loved the opportunity to spend so much time above 13,000 ft. Great views, but prepare for cold & wind this time of year. Scary talus on the way down, if you do the clockwise route, especially for people without poles (IMO). Some impressive exposure west of Cameron, and east & west of Lincoln. Talus fields on way down from Bross are amazing. I think if I did this again I'd go counterclockwise and avoid going down talus & scree at end of route. Take lots of photos, lots to remember!

Absolutely gorgeous. Super windy though.

Not a fun hike compared to other 14ers I've done. More or less just a walk up a rock field. However, the views from up top are some of the best I've seen. We decided to call it quits after completing Democrat, partially due to weather, partially due to honest lack of appeal. The idea of "4 peaks in one day" sounds good on paper, but like others have mentioned, there are certainly more enjoyable ones to climb. 3 stars solely for the views and cool people at the top. For those considering the loop, may want to avoid Bross all together. Not only is it private property, but it looks like a nightmare going up or down.

If you plan to do all 4 peaks, go up mt Bross and down democrat! Bross would be very difficult to come down with or without hiking poles

Its awesome to be able to do so many 14ers in one day. I wrote a whole blog post about it, You can find it here http://wp.me/p7ZycW-3F if you;d like to read it.

Don't go up Bros. it's a bear to come down. I can't imagine going up!

Fantastic trip! Tag four 14ers in a day.

My husband and I hiked Mt. Democrat with our pup last week (8/30) and found it to be relatively easy compared to many 14ers, but still a challenge, especially for our four legged friend! I wrote a blog about if you'd like to get information on what gear you need, trail conditions, the campsite, and of course some beautiful pictures of our adventure. Hope you enjoy it---> http://borntobewandering.com/2017/09/06/the-ultimate-guide-to-mt-democrat/

We started up Bross at 5am in the dark. All of the reviews say Bross is a mess to come down, so we went up it. I also think it is easier to go up in the dark that to go up Democrat. The only "easy" portion of this is between the top of Bross and the way point that connects Lincoln and Cameron. There is no water on the trail so leave your water filter at home. We took off layers and put them back on throughout the day. The wind is bad in some spots but fine in others. There weren't as many people as I expected on labor day but it was still pretty heavily traveled. The campsites were not used. We stayed in a hotel in Breck because we didn't think we would be able to get a campsite. I would take the chance of getting a spot especially if you come between 1-3pm. All in all, Democrat was our 4th summit and I felt like it was the hardest. I also felt like the climb up Bross and up the rest of the way to democrat was as hard if not harder than the Manitou Incline. The stars were amazing at 5am.

Amazing day summiting four 14ers. This entire hike was probably easier than Quandary (save the end) and you bag four 14ers instead of one! Start early. Took us 6 hours exactly. We were on the trail at 5am and honestly 430 probably would have been optimal. Incredible to see all of the stars and everyone's head lamps make for a cool way to follow the trail up.

We went up to Democrat first and highly recommend this clockwise approach. I cannot imagine trying to climb (and I mean climb) the Bross trail, let alone at night. The 5am start let us see the sunrise near the Democrat summit. That's why 430 would have been a perfect start - could have watched it on the summit! Still had beautiful dawn light when we reached it - awesome photos.

Climb from the saddle to Cameron was the toughest part of the ascent in my opinion. Lincoln was a short jog from Cameron and was my favorite summit. Great views of Quandary, Grays, Torrys, Silverheel. Bross summit had some climb but was also quick.

The Bross descent is as bad as everyone describes. We were skeptical ourselves but seriously - what a mess. Not really a trail so much as a steep descent on scree for what feels like forever. Thank God for hiking poles! It is obviously doable, but be prepared for what is coming and take it SLOW.

All in all an amazing hike, incredible views and memories. These are very accessible 14ers if you come prepared and take them seriously. Layers. Water. Time. And those hiking poles!

Did solo during labor day weekend, this is a crowded popular trail which makes it safe to do so. Started hiking at 5:30 am, great weather, clear sky all day, very windy at the saddles, rather calm everywhere else. Bring good hiking poles and hydration pack, you dont want to reach for your bottle everytime. Also pick snacks that won't freeze in cold temp, it was 95 in Denver but high 30s up there. I was in good spirit because you can see the tops most of the time.

The trail is what you would expect from a type-2 14er. Clear path but tough and demandiing, not to mention thin air and altitude which make it even harder, so take a lot of rests. I would recommend you to be in a good shape, or train beforehand. Have fun and enjoy this magnificent trail! You'll love it.