Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail

Mounts Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alma, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

skiing

snowboarding

The trail is accessible year round through the Kite Lake Trailhead. The road near the top is treacherous, but easy enough to park a half mile down the road before that part and hike.

great hike! bross was a little slippery coming down, lots of loose gravel. I'd recommend trekking poles !

As others stated road up is bumpy but gets bad at the switch backs where everyone was parked. Snow was about two feet in the road after this point so we hiked up to the camp. The group didn't like the looks of the trail with snow so we turned back at 12000'. Great views. Will return.

About 2 1/2 hours from Colorado Springs. We did have some trouble finding the Kite Lake dirt road as it wasn't noticeaby marked. In the town of Alma, it is where the crosswalk is. I loved this hike! Did the whole loop: Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross with my adult daughter and her dog. Once you get up Democrat, I thought the hike wasn't to difficult. We parked at Kite Lake and paid the couple of dollars to park. Bross coming down has a lot of scree. I didn't bring my trekking poles and wished I had. Other than that, the views were amazing! No where to really eat in Alma though and we were really hungry! Made up for it in Woodland Park though.

How often can you bag four 14er's in a day? While there can be a pile up of people ascending Mount Democrat, the trail to the other peaks was void of other hikers when we went. It was a great day with amazing views.

Drove out the night before to scope things out and found that I couldn't get to Kite Lake Campground due to the low clearance in my vehicle. I parked just before the private land area, slept there for the night and then hiked in. This added a couple of miles total, but the walk along the road is nice anyway. I left just after sunrise and was happy to summit Bross by 10am, Lincoln by 11 and Democrat by noon. I slid down the east face of Democrat to catch back up with the trail which was fun and much faster. I was back at Kite lake around 1pm and things were starting to get pretty soft. I just barely missed having to use snowshoes. I used crampons for part of the way up towards Bross and along the ridge as I made my way up to Democrat. Other than that, you could easily manage with hiking boots as a lot of the trail was clear of snow and ice.

First time: Finished Democrat as the first 14er since my Jamacan friend has altitude sickness and can't make it any further
Second time: Finished Bross and Cameron then had to leave due to winter storm (the weather started off super nice but turned to white out and my hair was frozen)
Overall very easy climb. To be continued...

Great summit of Mt. Democrat. We didn't do the loop because it was cold and a bit snowy. The weather moved in on Sat. But we waited to go up Sunday morning. Car camped at Kite Lake campground (very cold and fire ban in effect so no campfires). Late season tips: the drive up is 4-wheel drive unless you want to risk damage. We took our dogs but only those that are used to climbs and cold. We took water up for them and dog treats. Layers, no yak trax required but good waterproof boots and gators because of snow. I wished we had brought sunscreen and sunglasses. Just be smart...not for beginners...gorgeous views.

Absolutely breathtaking 14ers summit loop. My friend and I got started around 7am and made it back to the car by 3pm. The climb up to Democrat is challenging but beautiful. Be aware you need to be mindful of footing as most of this hike is above treeline with a fair amount of rock and scree. Lincoln and Cameron were moderate rolling ascents with incredibly rewarding views from the Cameron summit! I continued on to Bross which is technically closed as it's a private peak, so out of respect I skipped the ascending trail which had a "closed" sign next to it. The descent down Bross was very, very challenging. If I were to do it again I'd do an out-and-back across Cameron and Lincoln and down the saddle between Lincoln and Democrat. The trail from Bross to the lot was incredibly steep and one section of about 1/2 a mile was chunky scree you essentially have to "surf" down. Overall the weather that day was terrific. Warm and mostly sunny with a tiny micro "blizzard" that passed over. Even in August it helped to have warm gear!

Amazing - 4 x 14ers (technically 3 due to proximity one is not ranked an official 14er)..... Right in the middle of Colorado. One of the best most memorable Colorado hikes I've ever been on. Inexperienced hikers make sure to prepare for what a 14er can do... But, only summiting one is a good option for some people

This was an amazing hike. I made a video for anybody who is interested in doing it. Prepare for lots of wind. You may have to copy and paste the link in your browser.

We did this hike on a beautiful, sunny, crisp, cool fall Colorado day. We opted to do only Mt. Democrat (out of the 4 in the decalibron). The day was a perfect hiking day with temps only reaching up to the mid-50s and slightly lower temps at the top of the mountain. We started at the Kite Lake campground trailhead. The road to the trailhead can be accessed by following the signs to Kite Lake from Hwy 9 in the town of Alma. The road to the trailhead is dirt/gravel with a moderate amount of potholes (some deeper than others). The hike itself was moderate with the majority of the steep sections in the middle. It is only about 1.5 miles (one-way), but there are some steep sections going through boulder fields. There is a false summit right before the last steep section to get to the actual summit, but it's a short distance. I would recommend this hike to those who have some experience with hiking the Colorado mountains and cautioning those who may be prone to altitude sickness.

Everything people say is true! The road near the top is treacherous, but easy enough to park a half mile down the road before that part and hike - other descriptions didn't quite allow me to visualize how rough the road is, so think of a bumpy mogul run on a ski slope and that's kind of what it looks like. I think it requires a high clearance vehicle.

The hike is amazing! I did all four peaks in the afternoon (late season and a clear day). The typical order: Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross. It was a beautiful hike and certainly feels like an accomplishment to do four peaks in one day.

I should add that many people wrote reviews saying that Democrat was the hardest stretch for them. It certainly was the longest since you're coming all the way up from the parking lot and also is quite rocky terrain, but for me Cameron was the most difficult because I felt it was a steeper climb and there were a few false peaks.

Also, I didn't realize until the way down that the Bross trail was closed because I came from the other side, but at that point I had to get down. I managed the Bross trail, but there is a good deal of loose rocks and scree. I would be very careful taking this route up or down right now without proper experience, and even then it can be pretty slippery. It's definitely doable though, just be very alert and cautious.

A wonderful hike overall! I highly recommend it.

We hiked all four peaks and had a great time. Easy hike compared to other 14ers. The road to the trail head was good except in a couple of places that required some careful driving. I would recommend backtracking to Cameron after you summit Bross to avoid the mind numbing decent on loose scree.