Mountain Lion Trail

Mountain Lion Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Golden, Colorado that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

At the trail head parking lot, there is an outhouse and trash bins. You'll need a day pass for the park.

Awesome trail with numerous possibilities to connect and combine with other trails The backside of this trail feels very remote compared to the southern part of the park, which is often crowded. In the right times of the right years, GG Park has some of the best wildflowers I've ever seen,

I did the mountain lion trail to windy point and then came back on burro trail. It’s a nice hike but seeing the poster of mountain lions being active in the area made me look around a lot and carry a big walking stick. One section of the trail goes along a stream with big rock formations. The trail up to windy point goes through evergreen trees without a view till the top and is steep in sections Returning down the burro trail, the views were nice. I ended up cutting across a field to the service road and finding mountain lion trail back to the parking lot. It was a moderate hike with some easy sections and some slightly more difficult.

Beautiful views!

Directions: Do NOT follow the signs to the park, that will take you too far (if coming from Denver.) Turn right on Crawford Gulch Rd, it's about 4 miles after you have turned onto Golden Gate Canyon Rd. Go about 8 miles on Crawford Gulch Rd (it turns into Drew Hill Rd) and the entrance to the trail head will be on your right. The road will turn to gravel..just keep going. Get your day pass and continue on the road in, there is a little parking lot right as you turn in but I suggest you drive in further as there's a closer parking lot to the trail head and bathrooms. I suggest you start walking the loop by going straight behind the bathrooms. This will give you a better view as you are descending. It's kind of boring the first mile or so, you will be walking through fields and it can get warm if it's sunny out. But you eventually will go into a deciduous forest, then along the stream and then into a pine forest where you will reach the top (we did not go to Windy Peak per the other reviewers.) Beautiful views as you descend. Towards the end you will walk through more fields. It took us a little over 3 hours and we took one 10 min break. Great hike!!

Several trails so you can combine. The old Tallman ranch site is cool. Nice views. Decent elevations. Some parts of the trail is single file.

Started on Mt. Lion up to Windy Peak, then took Burrow back down to Not Creek lot. It's pretty shaded about a mile in and a slow steady climb to the WP summit.(9200') Great views.

Serene if you catch this hike during wildflower season.

Recommend going clockwise or you'll be descending on a lot of loose rock. Challenging and varied scenery!

This is an 8.6 mile loop not 6.8. We followed the trail exactly and we finished at almost 9 miles. Wonderful hike.

beautiful hike. We saw only a handful of people all day, on a Sunday. avoid taking the windy peak route, a lot of work for lack luster views.

Takes you by river & meadows filled with wild flowers. You feel remote as not s lit of people on trail or views of city. It is marked difficult as there are some sections that have steady incline.

Great hike. A little too much exposure for the dog when we took Burro on the way back.

I've done this hike twice with my 17 year old. Decent hike that's not too tough. Golden Gate Canyon says it's difficult but it's very moderate. The nice thing about Golden Gate Canyon is that it's not as busy as some other places close to Denver. You do need to purchase park pass.

This was absolutely gorgeous hike do it again views were awesome!!! Flowers were spectacular!

absolutely loved this hike. going through the canyon on the right side doesn't even feel like you're in the front range. pristine creek along the way and dense vegetation. The extra mile to windy peak for sure worth it. will definitely be back to do this one again

To me, it isn't as much about the vista at the top as it is about the vista along the way, and this trail delivered both. We stopped at the pond and read the information on the Anders Tallman family history and shared a peanut or two with chipmunks at Windy Peak.

We started at Mountain Lion TH and went to up to windy peak and then down the East side of Mountain lion along the creek, but cut across back to Mountain Lion using burro trail as the eastern part of Mountain Lion was under "forest management". 7/10/2017

Our travel distance was 8.6 and our time was 3:27, Strava recorded our elevation gain as a little over 2,100.
Happy Hiking!!

This is a nice hike that was not too difficult and offered a variety of scenery. Went on a Tuesday and was halfway around before I saw anyone. The trail starts off in an open area and gradually progresses through woods along a stream. The majority of the incline is climbing up through the forest toward Windy Peak (which will add a mile round trip if you climb up to it); the views aren't spectacular from the top, but if you're one of those who can't pass up a half-mile hike to the peak, there are limited photo opportunities. After exiting the forest halfway through, the hike goes down into the forgotten valley, and there is a small pond and a historical homestead to check out. The remainder looks much like the first mile, mile and a half before ending on the backside of the parking lot. This trail offers a lot of diversity and there are some very beautiful parts. I gave it a four-star rating because I was rather unimpressed with Windy Peak and found the first mile and last two to be underwhelming in comparison to the rest of the hike.

The best well rounded hike I've been on this year. Nice break up between difficult rocky spots and walking path in the woods. I went the recommended counterclockwise to follow better signage. It was nice to walk next to the creek when getting tired. Apparently there are at least 2 different start and stop points the the trail. I did not end where I started and had to walk to find my car. You will also need a parks pass to park your vehicle. There are passes at a small visitors center located at one of the entry points.

Great hike. I started at 9:00a and there was very light traffic on the trails. I made it out around 10:30 and there were more people. Very nice views.

Great hike!