Mount Zirkel Loop Trail

Mount Zirkel Loop Trail is a 10.3 mile loop trail located near Clark, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

a wonderful trail and adventure!

Wow! Beautiful and rewarding hike. We were unsure if we'd make it reading other recent reviews about the snowfields. We started the loop on the Gold Creek side, and I don't think we'd have made it if we had started in the other direction. There wasn't much snow at all until we got to the second lake (Gilpin). We did lose the trail going around the lake for a little while, but we were able to pull up a map of which direction to head around the lake. We scooted a little bit down the snowfield, but it would have been not as much fun having to trek up that! We did the whole thing in Chaco's which actually worked great because there were several creek crossings. We only saw 3 other hikers the entire time. It felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. Definitely worth it -- gorgeous views, dynamic landscape. It took us almost 5 hours to hike the entire loop including stopping for lunch at GC Lake and spending some time figuring out how to navigate down the snowfield/getting a tad lost after that. It was 12 miles according to my watch.

6/16-6/17 Backpacked the loop clockwise, we lost the trail after the climb after Gilpin lake. It’s usually switchbacks, but was covered in snow. Stay left once you reach the top of that climb...we ended up walking in marsh and fallen trees for awhile before we were able to find the trail again, but we veered right a little...our mistake. But, we eventually made it! Also, bring water shoes for creek crossings. I think we were the only ones camping that night out, so it was very peaceful. One of my favorites by far!

We were on a fly fishing/hike to Gold Creek Lake so only did first part of counter-clockwise route. There were 2 stream crossings, one across a log bridge. The hike and lake are beautiful and moderately challenging for us...mostly a steady uphill to lake. We kept a nice pace to be able to enjoy the views but leave plenty of time to fish.

One of the best round these parts

Awesome hike! We did it 6/2/18 and it was definitely difficult with all the snow but still worth it if you have GPS. There were ~4 river crossings, lots of postholing, and lots of sliding down snowfields. We went counterclockwise and getting to Gold Creek Lake was pretty easy. Then, there was a fairly wide river that we had to take off our shoes to cross (knee deep). After that, it was difficult to follow the trail due to the snow. Climbing up the pass was the most difficult part, again due to the snow, but the view from the top was amazing. We then slid down the snow and lost elevation quickly, using GPS on my phone (would have been very tricky without it). We crossed another wide river, and finally got down to
solid, dry ground again. Beautiful lower trail through Aspen trees and meadows. We saw in the guestbook on our way out that two people encountered a bear!

Absolutely my all time favorite hike. So beautiful. Stop at the clark store and get ice cream after ;) So tranquil.

We hiked this last weekend. The views are spectacular.

Great hike, a little busy, but spread out. Hiked it counter-clockwise to avoid traffic. Saw a few bears, views were great.

Did my first solo backpacking trip here in late June. And went counter clockwise. I camped the first like above Gold Creek Lake in a nice meadow. I had had a late start so I took my time. There were three crossings on the way the south side of Gilpin Lake including a intimidating log crossing with all the runoff flowing fast and high beneath.

Day two I peaked the pass to Lake Gilpin. The last thousand vertical feet on both side was snow covered with no signs of a trail, but the trail map I had with topography gave me a pretty good idea where I was going. Once I peaked the view was amazing. Lake still partially frozen. The trail down was hard to see but once the snow gave way to rock underneath the lake it was back to the regular trail. One deep crossing below the lake and then a good hike back to the car.

We did this counter clockwise as a two day. Camped at gold creek lake. Wildflowers were beatiful, fish were biting like crazy at gold creek lake, water in gilpin lake was cold but refreshing after going up over the ridge with packs on, heard report of a bear on the gilpin trail but didn't see it.

A few things to note: the forest service sign at the trail head (or at the entrance to the national forest land) will say no campfires allowed, but the wilderness area sign said they were fine. Not sure which is right. You're also not supposed to camp within a quarter mile of either lake. The best campsites I saw otherwise were in the meadow between mile 6 and 7

Best views I've ever seen! We camped in a gorgeous valley and saw deer. The lakes were beautiful and icy cold. There was plenty of creek crossings with clear, cold water. The altitude change got to me though...

This trail is beautiful. Make sure and go counter-clockwise at the loop toward Gold Lake first or you will be climbing up snowfields. Our GPS said 12 miles for the whole loop. It is about mile 4 to Gold Lake and then mile 7 clear to the top of the ridge above Gilpin Lake. Then it's all down hill for the last 5 miles.

Great hike, flowers, lush cover, beautiful rushing rivers (6 water crossings, bring your Teva's), snowfields amidst the majestic Mt. Zirkel. Wonderful. By the way, we did the entire loop trail from the northern side and our GPS said it was 12.5 miles not 10.3. You might want to update the mileage; it makes a difference.

We hiked from the Slavonia Trailhead and went clockwise on the loop. Lots of beautiful wildflowers along the path to start out the hike. All the vegetation was super lush and green throughout the whole hike. Too many stream crossings to count in all and easily crossable with the exception of the Gilpin Creek crossing and a stream crossing just before Gold Creek Lake. Both of those were too wide to cross so we had to take off boots and socks and wade across the freeeeezing cold water but the current was manageable. The incline up to Gilpin lake was easy the whole way. There was a bit of snow remaining just before Gilpin Lake but easy to get through. Gilpin Lake itself is magical and we had the place entirely to ourselves. The last incline and hike upwards from Gilpin Lake to the top of the pass was steep, tricky, and difficult with lots of snow cover making it slippery to traverse... walking stick would help here and definitely easier to zig zag up rather than try to go straight up and risk slipping down. Views from the pass were spectacular and then it was all downhill from there. Gold Creek Lake is beautiful and serene as well. You're following alongside the rushing waters almost all the way throughout the hike up and back down to the lush vegetation and wildflowers. Wonderful amazing hike!! One of the best we've done in Colorado for sure! Wubalubadubdub!!

Thursday, June 22, 2017