Mount Zirkel Loop Trail

Mount Zirkel Loop Trail is a 10.3 mile loop trail located near Clark, Colorado that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September.

Great hike, a little busy, but spread out. Hiked it counter-clockwise to avoid traffic. Saw a few bears, views were great.

Did my first solo backpacking trip here in late June. And went counter clockwise. I camped the first like above Gold Creek Lake in a nice meadow. I had had a late start so I took my time. There were three crossings on the way the south side of Gilpin Lake including a intimidating log crossing with all the runoff flowing fast and high beneath.

Day two I peaked the pass to Lake Gilpin. The last thousand vertical feet on both side was snow covered with no signs of a trail, but the trail map I had with topography gave me a pretty good idea where I was going. Once I peaked the view was amazing. Lake still partially frozen. The trail down was hard to see but once the snow gave way to rock underneath the lake it was back to the regular trail. One deep crossing below the lake and then a good hike back to the car.

We did this counter clockwise as a two day. Camped at gold creek lake. Wildflowers were beatiful, fish were biting like crazy at gold creek lake, water in gilpin lake was cold but refreshing after going up over the ridge with packs on, heard report of a bear on the gilpin trail but didn't see it.

A few things to note: the forest service sign at the trail head (or at the entrance to the national forest land) will say no campfires allowed, but the wilderness area sign said they were fine. Not sure which is right. You're also not supposed to camp within a quarter mile of either lake. The best campsites I saw otherwise were in the meadow between mile 6 and 7

Best views I've ever seen! We camped in a gorgeous valley and saw deer. The lakes were beautiful and icy cold. There was plenty of creek crossings with clear, cold water. The altitude change got to me though...

This trail is beautiful. Make sure and go counter-clockwise at the loop toward Gold Lake first or you will be climbing up snowfields. Our GPS said 12 miles for the whole loop. It is about mile 4 to Gold Lake and then mile 7 clear to the top of the ridge above Gilpin Lake. Then it's all down hill for the last 5 miles.

Great hike, flowers, lush cover, beautiful rushing rivers (6 water crossings, bring your Teva's), snowfields amidst the majestic Mt. Zirkel. Wonderful. By the way, we did the entire loop trail from the northern side and our GPS said it was 12.5 miles not 10.3. You might want to update the mileage; it makes a difference.

We hiked from the Slavonia Trailhead and went clockwise on the loop. Lots of beautiful wildflowers along the path to start out the hike. All the vegetation was super lush and green throughout the whole hike. Too many stream crossings to count in all and easily crossable with the exception of the Gilpin Creek crossing and a stream crossing just before Gold Creek Lake. Both of those were too wide to cross so we had to take off boots and socks and wade across the freeeeezing cold water but the current was manageable. The incline up to Gilpin lake was easy the whole way. There was a bit of snow remaining just before Gilpin Lake but easy to get through. Gilpin Lake itself is magical and we had the place entirely to ourselves. The last incline and hike upwards from Gilpin Lake to the top of the pass was steep, tricky, and difficult with lots of snow cover making it slippery to traverse... walking stick would help here and definitely easier to zig zag up rather than try to go straight up and risk slipping down. Views from the pass were spectacular and then it was all downhill from there. Gold Creek Lake is beautiful and serene as well. You're following alongside the rushing waters almost all the way throughout the hike up and back down to the lush vegetation and wildflowers. Wonderful amazing hike!! One of the best we've done in Colorado for sure! Wubalubadubdub!!

The best hike near steamboat!! 2 lakes and great views❤️