Learn more

Mount Victoria Peak Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Frisco, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 5.7 mi Elevation gain 2,631 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (266)
Recordings (57)
Completed (194)
Mike Noble
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2020
Hiking

Good trail with steep accent to big vistas I started from closer lot off 2nd street, which was a mistake since AllTrails has incorrect map of trails at the start of hike. I spent more time than if I had just started from the lot by I-70 suggested here. Very steep for long stretches which was a challenge both up and down. Nice view throughout the hike with a big payoff at the top of Mount Victoria. The majority of the hike was through forest

Alexandre Amice
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 28 2020
HikingSnow

Great trail with wonderful view of peak 1, Frisco, Breck, and the mountains surrounding highway 70. Trail is tougher than I expected. There are three patches of snow that you have to traverse but they’re fairly compacted. Recommend hiking boots and poles as the trail is sandy and it is easy to slip on the steep descent.

Aaron Gano
HikingGreat!Rocky

Hiked this one 6/28/20. It was really great. I left at 8a and was down by 330p. if I were to do it again I would definitely leave much earlier. I was lucky there were no thunder storms in the afternoon otherwise I would have had to turn back. I'm not a very experienced hiker. I live in Dallas TX, and it's kinda low and flat there. I felt the altitude for sure, but if you're from out of town and in decent shape you should be able to do this. When I got to Peak One I had to do a little rock climbing because I took the route going right. I'm not sure the condition of the other route. That was a little nerve racking for me. But I've only done a few mountain hiking trips, so I'm still learning the ropes. The view at Peak One is totally amazing and worth it.

Sheri Paul
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 25 2020
HikingBlowdownRockySnow

Still a decent amount of snow to work around on the way to the summit. Outstanding views, but not my favorite hike in the area. Pluses: Views, easy access to town, easy to find large parking lot and trailhead. Minuses: loose rock which makes downhill tough, no water running for dog hydration, meh wildflowers, lots of downed and dead trees, really steep almost from the start with fewer switchbacks than one would like, and unclear trail in many areas. Glad I did it, won't be on the top of my repeat list though.

Lesley McFarland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 23 2020
HikingSnow

Great hike!! A lot of snow at the top. But nothing you cannot get through. The views are amazing. Also on the way down poles would be helpful from Mt. Royal. There is a lot of loose rock.

Quin Petersen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingSnow

Great trail but towards the top snow drifts cover the trail and it’s very easy to loose it. If you do find yourself off trail keep going up you’ll find it again eventually

View Quin's Recording
Logan Westgard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 22 2020
HikingSnow

Still a fair amount of snow that is avoidable and easy to cross. Fairly easy with a round trip time of 2 and a half hours and great views from the top!

Laura Podewils
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 20 2020
Hiking

I can’t say this is a favorite. Straight uphill and compared to other hikes in the area this is simply mediocre. Lots of scree.

View Laura's Recording
Estela Kieffer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 17 2020
Hiking

Great hike with beautiful views! There is still some snow on the last 3rd of the trail but you can walk around it in most areas.

Vicky Elder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 11 2020
HikingSnow

Awesome awesome awesome trail!! Like everyone else says, it’s pretty steep with some flatter switchbacks along the way which give a nice rest to the butt. According to my Garmin, I was about .7 miles from Victoria summit before I got turned around due to a very large/tall section of snow. I walked over two very tall sections (maybe 10-15 ft deep) of snow to get to that point. Still got pretty high and the views were stunning! Can’t wait to complete this summit when it’s melted!!!

Paul Gennings
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 26 2020
HikingSnow

Tried this morning, snow on the trail started right when the trail splits off the Mt. Royal trail. Got through the switchbacks to the ridge of Victoria and ran into an ice wall. Didn’t try to go any further and turned around. Can’t wait to try in a few weeks.

Wayne Seymour
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Oct 27 2019
Hiking

Glad I brought a pack to take my jackets on and off, more than once.

Rob Basnett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 08 2019
Hiking

Great trail! Hiked all the way to Peak 1. Took about 3.5 hours with a few stops on the way. Very steep about mid way to the top with few switchbacks. Great views, nice trail, awesome workout. We saw 4 mountain goats just below Peak 1. This was one of the nicest hikes we've done

Lisandra Caraballo
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 06 2019
Hiking

so dang steep but you feel so good at once at the top. incredible views and if you feel like pushing further there’s peak one right there !! beautiful views

David Kleinkopf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

Did this hike a week ago. It was super crowded the whole way with several groups doing a training hikes. It was a bit of a slog, not much to see along the way. At the top it was so windy and cold we decided to turn around and save Peak One for another day. The wind was so bad that one of the hikers we saw on the way back said his partner had gotten blown over so they too turned back. We will definitely do it again when the crowds and weather are better.

Veronica Santos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Aug 17 2019
HikingRocky

Very tough, loved it.

View Veronica's Recording
Lauren Jenkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 03 2019
Hiking

Tough trail for a beginner! I didn’t make it all the way to Mt Victoria but I did go out to Mt Royal. Beautiful!

View Lauren's Recording
Don Harms
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 30 2019
Hiking

Fun, amazing views, a bit of elevation gain in short order.

Carrie M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 14 2019
Hiking

Steep steep steep! A lot of gain but amazing views at the end —so worth it! Hiking poles would have been helpful for both up and down and through the snow. Several shorter options to two other ridges so if you can make the steeper climbs for Mt Victoria you aren’t out of luck.

Laura Skladzinski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 14 2019
Hiking

Only a little bit of snow; we were able to complete it no problem without gaiters. However, trekking poles would have been helpful for the steep descent. Took about 6 hours roundtrip at a slow and steady pace from Frisco Kayak Parking Lot.

Bridget Menke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 12 2019
Hiking

Was able to get to the top on 7/10. Had to go over/ around the snow in about 5 places, but not bad. As I looked at the summit with a giddy feeling, I was stared down by a mountain goat! I gave him a wide berth and he walked away. Great hike!

Jackie Poulson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 05 2019
Hiking

Snow begins around 2 miles in. It covers lots of the trail and you have to follow a set of tracks and go off trail. At any point walking across the snow you can sink knee deep into it and crawling is required in some places. The section between mile 2 and where you get above the tree line about a half mile before mount Victoria is hard because the snow covers the trail. I was off trail going the direction I remembered on the way back down. Above the tree line to Mount Victoria isn’t as steep but you have to walk through a lot of snow. Peak 1 seems closer than it is from Mount Victoria. There are 5 false peaks in between the two. There is some snow on the sides of these peaks but make sure to stay on the trail. Everywhere else on these peaks is rock climbing and scrambling. The final climb to the top is a full vertical rock climb. You can get nearly to the top by following the trail but you have to climb hands and feet up about 30 feet of vertical snow like a ladder to summit. There are tracks but the snow was slick and loose and a slip from there is especially dangerous because there is so little trail at that point to catch you and because you are on the steepest side of the mountain. Back down is slippery on the snow. Took me 9 hours.

Lesley McFarland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 26 2019
HikingSnow

There is snow about 1/2 way up and you can still follow the trail up until 3/4 the way up then it Too much snow for me to pass. We had to turn around.

Ragan Patterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 16 2019
Hiking

My wife and I did this hike on 5/16/19 and I’m sad to say, we weren’t able to complete it. The snow covered trails were not frozen enough to walk over the top of the snow and we ended up post holing like a mother. My wife and I are stubborn and we don’t quit so we trudged through the soft snow till we hit 11K altitude and decided to call it. Total hike took us over 9 hours with one miserable mile taking over three hours! We had trekking poles and micro spikes which are a must. Because of the snow, and a few different footprints that were in different directions, we had a hard time staying in the trail. I would not recommend doing this hike around this time of year. Wait for the snow to melt or do it while it is hard enough to walk on. We will be back to conquer this Peak.

View Ragan's Recording
Kyle Shepherd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Apr 20 2019
Hiking

Did this about a year or two ago and it was one of the best hikes I’ve been on. Dog friendly, some pretty steep up hill switch backs, amazing views, and surprisingly a lot of wildlife.

Brennan Draper
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Mar 04 2019
Running

Did a run hike fartlek up it. It went very well.

Nick Mckinney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 27 2018
Hiking

Tried this hike 15 years ago with my German Shepherd and turned around at Victoria. Successful ascent today with a round trip in 5:45:00 at the age of 71. Trail was easy to follow with only some scrambling near the summit. Great views. Wonderful experience.