Mount Spalding Trail

Mount Spalding Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

This is a great hike! I would classify it as moderate so long as you stay on the main trail - which you should! Hikers and perhaps a few goats have worn an alternate path which is more difficult and dangerous. You can reach the summit on a number of alternate routes but you will have to climb over boulders which may be loose. Here's how to stay on the route:

If you are traveling the loop with the Mt. Spalding summit first, start looking for stacked stone trail markers as soon as the well defined dirt trail ends. There is a permit box near the end of the dirt trail. After you pass the permit box, start looking for the most direct route straight up to the top of the east ridge. You should see the stacked stone markers. Once you are on top of the ridge, it's easy hike to the summit.

If you miss the route, you'll see a mess of trails going over boulders along the wall face. If you are climbing over boulders and not seeing trail markers, go back to the permit box and try to pick up the route from there.

When descending the route is fairly obvious: Just go east on the ridge as far as you can.

Beautiful scenery at the summit. Left TH at 1100 and back down by 1300. Fairly simple trail, didn't leave early enough for the loop however. Multiple stops just to take in the views.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Monday, July 18, 2016

One of my favorite hikes we have done in colorado! We took our 3 kids with us. Great for a adventurous family!

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Did the whole loop and went up Mount Evans. Good views gorgeous flowers. Was pretty easy though. I wouldn't classify this as hard.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Great hike with a pretty easy to follow trail and not too crowded as compared to many of the other front range 14ers.

Summit trail is approximately 6.4 miles in length with about 2800 feet of elevation gain on the out and back.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Great hike, pretty easy! Saw some wildlife mountain goats and beavers at the top!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

This is my all time favorite hike so far. I say that because even if you are not a "hard core" hiker or let's say your health is not "optimal" you can do this hike and have amazing views. I have to be honest, we did not do the whole hike. There is a parking lot at the top of the mountain where you can set off to the top. If I had to guess I would say that it is about a mile with all the switchbacks, but it may not be that long. It is a little steep and of course the breathing is not easy, but if you did not work at least a little you would not feel like you deserve this view!! This short hike is one that got me inspired to really hike more often and helped me change my lifestyle.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Monday, April 06, 2015

Beautiful trail. Went at just the right time during the season when the last 5 miles of the road to the summit is closed to cars. I heard that it tends to be mildly disappointing to hike Mt. Evans only to summit with people who drove to the top. If you are looking to avoid that crowd, I recommend going later in the season when the road closes. You run the risk of snow storms, but just be smart and watch the weather.