Mount Sneffels Classic Route - Yankee Boy Basin is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

rock climbing

The road to the trailhead can be difficult for 2WD vehicles. Depending on your vehicle, you may be able to get closer to the trailhead. This is a very difficult hike with stretches of scree and scrambling.

Amazing and breath taking view

This was a great hike! Didn’t make it to the peak for a couple of reasons. The main being there was way too much snow on the ground. My lifted Jeep made it up until we started sliding back on the ice. Also, we started at about 3pm, so obviously we were losing sunlight. It’s doable if you start early and wear snow boots. Hiking stalks would’ve been a plus as well.

Now one of my favorite 14ers!
If you have 4 wheel drive and high clearance try to go as far up this road as you can! It will help eliminate you hiking up the whole road to get to the trail head! If you can make it far up that road, you will thank yourself on the way back down

off road driving

Loved it. First time off road with a Jeep and wasn’t to bad.

Favorite 14er so far

Hardest hike/climb I've done so far for it's distance (started 6 miles down), amazing view at the top, well worth it.

It was an unending stairclimber until it became a climb instead of a hike.

Have you ever heard of the boy who cried wolf getting eaten?
Don't try to take your 2wd low clearance rental car up this one, you may have to back up 50ft straight.
Class 3 scrambling? It actually exists and you can learn what it is on this trail. Some very exposed maneuvers, try to stay on the shale going up and don't trust any rock regardless of size.

Remember the dirt roads you took up to the actual trailhead sign, you'll see many options going downward.

Somehow the waterfalls were ignored by nearly everyone. They made the area way more than just a crowded 14er for me.

Start early to avoid the crowds renting Jeeps. 8:30am summit, a few other people. 9am summit, a dozen with more on their way up.

I saw a medium-small dog make it up, but he had to be passed between group members at the very top section (Larger dogs probably wouldn't make this section either). I heard him bark a good amount on their way down, I'm assuming out of fear.

This was definitely a tough hike! If you don’t have a high-clearance vehicle be prepared to hike about 7-8 miles in & out. Once you finally get to the actual trail, there’s a deceiving sign that says 1.2 miles to the summit—it’s pretty much a straight incline up the full 1.2 miles and there are rocks/boulders that fall while you’re hiking up. Since the hike is so steep, the rocks slip constantly so we recommend a helmet, like some people had, and possibly hiking poles for the trip back down. Heading back down was honestly the hardest part because it puts a lot of stress on your knees. There are several false summits so be prepared! When you finally reach the top & are close to the summit, you’ll have to scramble through a tight notch to reach the actual summit. Get someone to help you because that part can be tricky—especially if you’re hiking alone. All in all, it’s a beautiful mountain & I promise you’ll remember the hike forever.

Challenging hike/ climb, but one of my favorite 14-ers ever. Beautiful views and totally worth it. Be prepared to climb/ scramble.

This is a TOUGH hike with a short bit of Class 3 climbing required. Straight up the steepest face of boulders and scree I can recall.
Nearly everyone had trekking poles, and I found myself very jealous of that as I scrambled down excruciatingly slowly. Bring poles. Lean on them every step of descent. Get down to the upper trailhead in 1 hour instead of 2 like me.
The summit was worth the effort.

Steep elevation gain after trail sign. Had to park at lower trail head (upper section is a legit 4wd road. Saw a Tacoma get stuck and towed out). South slope is steep but solid when we did it early morning. The gully is fun bouldering on the right. depending on which side you take it’s fairly stable rocks. The v notch has solid hand holds and is mostly a mental game pretty easy to get through depending on your size. Final push has some exposure but nothing that is extreme. Strenuous climb but views are amazing.

Wow this was a tough climb. After being at altitude for six days, I thought I was ready for a 14er. This hike kicked my tail but I was so impressed with the guidance from AllTrails. The pics and reviews helped my prep towards success.

Super tough but also pretty exciting!

This trail is very hard. It is the hardest 14er we have completed. We started from the upper trail head. Ascending and descending the gulley is very difficult. Glad we did it. One and done!

Difficult but worth the views! Lots of elevation gain in a short distance and a lot of hiking on scree. Get ready for a workout on the way up and be cautious on the way down, I slipped on the the scree and landed on my butt a couple times! Also, be careful taking your pups on this one, the rocks can make for very sore and bloody paws! My schnauzer made it all the way up but I had to carry him the last half of the top on the way down.

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Lots of elevation gain for an absolutely breathtaking view on top. Ran into a red fox, which was cool. Most challenging and rewarding hike I've done so far.

Friday, September 15, 2017

Gorgeous trail-completely worth the climb. My husband and I did the Blue Lakes Pass route, which, although longer, has incredible views and is well worth the extra couple of hours. I wrote a complete trip report if you're interested in seeing photos and getting more information on trail conditions, gear, and general tips and tricks : http://borntobewandering.com/2017/09/15/the-ultimate-guide-to-mt-sneffels/

Monday, September 04, 2017

This was our first 14er, and to be honest it was the most difficult thing we have accomplished yet. We started early at 540, very dark out and lights were necessary. This is mostly uphill and the trail is mostly rocks, very much a workout. It was worth it, but don't underestimate it!

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Was an epic adventure going up to the peak. And coming down was a blast sliding down the dirt and rocks!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Mentally challenging
A great physical work out

Definitely a class 3. Only 1.2 miles from TH to summit but also a 2,000ft elevation gain. Hands and feet bouldering all the way to the top. And the boulders are your friend. The V notch isn't bad...people help you through it. And the summit is completely worth it. It is very steep and exposure at the V notch and a little after up to the summit!
It was my first 14er...definitely a challenge!

There is a great video on YouTube that shows the V notch...

Sunday, August 20, 2017

The views are beyond a 5-star rating - completely out of this world and so different than any other 14er. I have to give it 4 stars though because I don't think I could ever push myself to do it again - it was by far the most mentally challenging climb I've done to date - many "life or death" moments with steep steep uphill scree shifting beneath every step you take up to the ridge and then again up to the summit. The V-Notch was a test of true grit, be sure you research this part well so you're not surprised when you see it. The summit wasn't crowded at all, we even had about 5 mins of it completely to ourselves. It was hardly windy either which was a plus and a surprise. But all we could think about was the journey down, and it certainly was difficult. Had to use 3 points of contact minimum for most of the stretch. Great experience but one should really assess their mental stamina and physical capabilities before daring to attempt this one.

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Monday, August 07, 2017

I gotta be honest, we hike a ton! We live in Ridgway and had been wanting to do this hike for awhile. Let me tell ya, it's probably the last time we will do it. We hiked it 8-6-17 and it was way more work than fun.
We parked at the bathrooms the normal spot, about 2 miles away from the trailhead. Take the trail when you see it, skip the road. It's more scenic and takes you around wrights lake with great views.
The trail... started on packed down scree, easy, no problem. Then once it started straight up, there was no trail, just crazy slick rock and dirt. This climb was shitty. We have had a ton of rain so I don't know if that affected the "trail" but it was basically just pick a line and take it. This portion easily took us an 1.5 hours each way.
At the top of that, you climb straight up a boulder field for around 300 feet or so. Of course the views were incredible but we definitely felt like we missed out on some of the fun by how focused we had to be. There are other hikes that offer these views without the risk of death. Lol! But really. Very tough on the knees, especially coming down. We were surprised by how we felt after about not wanting to do it again but we aren't trying to die on a hike. Bring a helmet.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Snow blocked the last part of the trail, but great views to that point.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

It was my first 14er. The views and surrounding wilderness are worth the difficult climb at the end. We were in the clouds at the top, so we couldn't see the view of the mountains at the top, but still beautiful regardless. Coming down from the top is a little scary because of the loose rocks, so have make sure to have good supportive shoes and take your time. I would do it again!

Friday, July 14, 2017

This was a beautiful and moderately challenging hike! We started out hike at the lowest end of the four wheel drive road. Ten miles of hiking from start to finish. We started at 6am, reached the summit at noon and then returned to our starting point at 3pm. The pictures do not do this scenery justice. It is a must do in my opinion! Plan for weather around mid day. The clouds moved in around 1130. We were fortunate that the rain didn't start until we reached our vehicle.

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Note as of 6/9/17 there is too much snow to finish the hike. We were able to hike to 11,500. You can't find the trail after this. Very hard from a cardio standpoint. Beautiful views.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

My favorite CO fourteener never disappoints! Nice moderate hike. The scree can make things a bit interesting so trekking poles are a good idea for the descent.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Definitely difficult. Especially skree field but worth it. Spectacular views!!!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

amazing view worth the hike

Friday, August 19, 2016

TREKKING POLES. You'll need them for the steep scree section both going up and coming down. Absolutely beautiful views and the V notch near the summit makes you feel all the more accomplished when summiting.