Mount Sneffels via Yankee Boy Basin

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(112)
Uncompahgre National Forest

Mount Sneffels via Yankee Boy Basin is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Telluride, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fly fishing, and off road driving and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 3,320 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

This road can be hiked or driven on 4WD trucks/dirbikes. If you have a 2WD car, it may be best to park at the trailhead indicated on this page. If you have a 4WD vehicle, you can get as far up the road as you're comfortable with, and then hike from there. This is a very difficult hike with stretches of scree and scrambling.

Best one so far. Hitched a ride to the TH for a 6 pack. Up to the summit in 3 down in 2.

I drove up Yankee Boy to the upper lot with a stock Jeep without much difficulty. As written in previous reviews, the skree can be a little demoralizing but it's doable. I would not attempt if the weather was sketchy. Once you get to the saddle it becomes a fun hike/climb with better footing. There's one class 3 move at the top. I've found it helpful to work with a hiking partner to make sure nobody is coming from the opposite direction. The panoramic view from the summit over the Blue Lakes is spectacular and makes the journey well worth it.

Beautiful views all the way up from 4wd / hiking trail to the summit. Steep incline the last 1/2 mile or so with loose rock. Stay on the more secure boulders for better stability. One missed step could be fatal as it very steep. Be careful climbing through the notch on way to the summit. Its easy to fall. Winds about 40 mph and gusts around 60-70 mph when I was up there. Got thrown around quite a bit and the summit is not very big so be careful in these conditions. Coming down is difficult, do not trust any rocks that are not secured into the ground. If you decide to slide down from the saddle, be prepared to ruin some clothing. Was pretty scary hiking this one with high winds. Will probably do it again on a calm day.

4 wheeled up to the upper trailhead. The scree is all over and hard to get traction on, so went over to the boulders, crawled a long way up. Got up to the second colouir, about 1/2 way up, to 13,776 feet before had to turn around. Saw many rocks tumble down and narrowly miss people on way down. It’s still amazing to get up that high. I liked it but my wife didn’t too much.

This was the hardest 14er we’ve done yet but we enjoyed the challenge! Don’t let the short distance fool you - the incline is intense but fun climbing/scrambling up the rocks. The notch was dry luckily - my group made the summit separately so someone could stay back and spot each of us on the descent from the notch (if you lose your footing then you have the potential to fall off a nasty ledge) it was a quick way to make friends as everyone was spotting each other after they saw the drop off! The views were incredible and made it all 100% worth it!!

We parked where this map’s route shows to start. Signage indicated high clearance 4x4 required. We were in a Subaru Outback and I believe we would have been fine to at least drive to the next parking area about .5 miles up the road. My Garmin Fenix data had the trail length at 8.9 miles, so be aware this map is probably a bit off. 4x4 road is not my favorite kind of hiking but views were great. There isn’t any forest scenery, as you start this hike already close to 11k ft. It’s a little steep but the road to the main trail head is pretty easy going. The route becomes challenging once you reach the base of the mountain. The first gully section is very steep, with loose rocks and boulders. There is no trail, choose your own way up. We stayed on the larger boulder areas for firmer footing. Be VERY aware of falling rock from anyone climbing above you. Using your hands for this scramble might be necessary as well. Some hikers wore helmets and gloves. After you reach the top of this first steep section, be prepared to do it AGAIN as you approach the summit. Footing is slightly better on this next section but falling rock is still a threat to be aware of. The notch is a little technical. You’ll have trouble if you are seriously afraid of heights or do not have the strength to perform a fairly basic rock climbing maneuver. Obviously, remember you have to go back down the way you came up, which can be equally or even more difficult. Overall, a worth while challenge. I personally found the poor footing mentally draining more than physically demanding. Enjoy.

Amazing climb & perfect weather! This was my first 14er and it was an exhilarating experience. The most challenging & steepest section was the bottom of the gully to the V-notch. Be careful with your footing on this section on your way down. I would recommend acclimating to the elevation of the surrounding areas (Ouray/ Telluride) before attempting. I recorded my experience on my YT channel... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spJIZfavJAk

Got in a sunrise summit. Camping at the end of the road makes this a short and easy hike.

Scenic hike, but boy is it steep and full of loose rock/dirt. I felt like one poorly placed step would send me sliding to the bottom of the gully. If you’re up for a challenge, this is a good climb. A good first class three climb.

My first 14er and it was awesome! Our Subaru Forester made it 0.4 miles past the bathroom parking lot before we decided that was as far as we’d take it. It was a big big help going with someone who had done it before-I’d highly recommend that if possible. We hiked up past wright lake then up towards blue lakes pass before cutting over to Sneffels. The climb was difficult but completely doable if you take your time. I’m a big guy at 240lbs and found the V notch a little challenging to figure out. It has good holds, just had to wedge myself in there correctly. Surprisingly our decent down to the base took longer than the ascent. Very loose rock coming down, be extra careful with your footing. GORGEOUS views at the top. Purchase an app called “PeakFinder AR” so you can identify peaks at the top. Great hike!

My first 14er! Incredible experience. PERFECT weather today. I was lucky to go with someone who has done it before-I would highly recommend it. Like most hikes, coming down was the worst part. Make sure to pack and use sunscreen! I am nice and toasty right now. Highly recommend!!

This was one of the best climbs I’ve been on! Started off by parking at the lower trailhead (restroom and beginning of 4WD road) and hiked up the road to the start of the main trailhead. Only took us about an hour as we were crossing small streams on our ascent up. Once we reached the trail head it took us about an hour to reach the first saddle going up the South Slopes Route. The saddle provided us with a phenomenal view of a meteor shower that went on until the sun started to rise! We continued up the next section which was the V notch, this notch was filled with big rocks and loose rocks, took us a little bit longer on this section but still wasn’t awful for any experienced hikers! Then we did a bit of rock climbing to get over a ridge to the actual peak which was a little nerve wracking but not awful. Took us 3 hours from the lower trailhead and 2 hours from the main trailhead! Highly recommend this hike early in the day as lots of Jeeps started to explore the roads leading to it on our descent!!

We tried this hike yesterday. We parked just past the mine as we had a Chevy lumina. It was myself. fiance and his 13 yo son. Left the car about 7am and made it to the upper trailhead at 9:00am. Saw tons of beautiful wildflowers (and even more jeeps and 4wd vehicles - definitely the way to go!) and crossed several streams over the trail/road along the way. Only 1.2 miles to go! Don't be fooled! They are almost all straight up! They are all over scree, rocks or boulders! We made it to the saddle around 11 and to the notch at noon with some dark clouds rolling. We were the last ones up there and would have had the summit to ourselves. Unfortunately. we just could not must up the courage to go up through the notch. Too much exposure and our legs were shot and we just didn't want to chance it. So disappointed! But still had great views! Sadly we started back down just as it started to lightly rain. I think we could have made it down in about 2 hours but for some reason the teenage was poking along and it took him an hour and a half to get down the chute and boulder/scree field. As we got to the upper trail head it started to rain in earnest. A good clap of thunder got the teenager moving a bit quicker and we made it back to the car around 4.... 9 hours total. Will have to try a different 14er.

I’ll start by saying that I have experience with hiking 14ers but not in snowy conditions. This hike is absolutely stunning but we had to stop 100 feet away from the summit because of the conditions. The snow by 9am had gotten so soft and slick that even with axes we had a bad, uncontrolled fall down the final ascent just before the V notch. You absolutely need poles, spikes, and axes for this hike under current conditions. The snow is melting fast but most of this trail is still covered and we did a lot of post holing. It was a little tedious to keep putting on and taking off our spikes but we would have slid all over the place without them. We did glissade down several portions of the lower trail because it was more dangerous to try and hike down them given the state of the snow. We looked up how to hike in scree and that was super helpful for this hike. We didn’t have any falls on loose rock and were able to make it down quickly. This trail says dog friendly but our dog who has hiked other 14ers with us would never be able to summit this. The class 3 scramble at the end is too steep, the scree shifts too much, and the rock would cut their paws. The closest trail head is not open to any vehicles right now because of 3 separate avalanches. We couldn’t make it very far up the 4WD road in a 2018 Tiguan. You really need to be in a Jeep, those were the only cars we saw make it past the 4WD start.