Mount Sneffels Classic Route - Yankee Boy Basin

Mount Sneffels Classic Route - Yankee Boy Basin is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

off road driving

rock climbing

skiing

Lots of elevation gain for an absolutely breathtaking view on top. Ran into a red fox, which was cool. Most challenging and rewarding hike I've done so far.

Gorgeous trail-completely worth the climb. My husband and I did the Blue Lakes Pass route, which, although longer, has incredible views and is well worth the extra couple of hours. I wrote a complete trip report if you're interested in seeing photos and getting more information on trail conditions, gear, and general tips and tricks : http://borntobewandering.com/2017/09/15/the-ultimate-guide-to-mt-sneffels/

This was our first 14er, and to be honest it was the most difficult thing we have accomplished yet. We started early at 540, very dark out and lights were necessary. This is mostly uphill and the trail is mostly rocks, very much a workout. It was worth it, but don't underestimate it!

Was an epic adventure going up to the peak. And coming down was a blast sliding down the dirt and rocks!

Mentally challenging
A great physical work out

Definitely a class 3. Only 1.2 miles from TH to summit but also a 2,000ft elevation gain. Hands and feet bouldering all the way to the top. And the boulders are your friend. The V notch isn't bad...people help you through it. And the summit is completely worth it. It is very steep and exposure at the V notch and a little after up to the summit!
It was my first 14er...definitely a challenge!

There is a great video on YouTube that shows the V notch...

The views are beyond a 5-star rating - completely out of this world and so different than any other 14er. I have to give it 3 stars though because I don't think I could ever push myself to do it again - it was by far the most mentally challenging climb I've done to date - many "life or death" moments with steep steep uphill scree shifting beneath every step you take up to the ridge and then again up to the summit. The V-Notch was a test of true grit, be sure you research this part well so you're not surprised when you see it. The summit wasn't crowded at all, we even had about 5 mins of it completely to ourselves. It was hardly windy either which was a plus and a surprise. But all we could think about was the journey down, and it certainly was difficult. Had to use 3 points of contact minimum for most of the stretch. Great experience but one should really assess their mental stamina and physical capabilities before daring to attempt this one.

I gotta be honest, we hike a ton! We live in Ridgway and had been wanting to do this hike for awhile. Let me tell ya, it's probably the last time we will do it. We hiked it 8-6-17 and it was way more work than fun.
We parked at the bathrooms the normal spot, about 2 miles away from the trailhead. Take the trail when you see it, skip the road. It's more scenic and takes you around wrights lake with great views.
The trail... started on packed down scree, easy, no problem. Then once it started straight up, there was no trail, just crazy slick rock and dirt. This climb was shitty. We have had a ton of rain so I don't know if that affected the "trail" but it was basically just pick a line and take it. This portion easily took us an 1.5 hours each way.
At the top of that, you climb straight up a boulder field for around 300 feet or so. Of course the views were incredible but we definitely felt like we missed out on some of the fun by how focused we had to be. There are other hikes that offer these views without the risk of death. Lol! But really. Very tough on the knees, especially coming down. We were surprised by how we felt after about not wanting to do it again but we aren't trying to die on a hike. Bring a helmet.

Snow blocked the last part of the trail, but great views to that point.

It was my first 14er. The views and surrounding wilderness are worth the difficult climb at the end. We were in the clouds at the top, so we couldn't see the view of the mountains at the top, but still beautiful regardless. Coming down from the top is a little scary because of the loose rocks, so have make sure to have good supportive shoes and take your time. I would do it again!

This was a beautiful and moderately challenging hike! We started out hike at the lowest end of the four wheel drive road. Ten miles of hiking from start to finish. We started at 6am, reached the summit at noon and then returned to our starting point at 3pm. The pictures do not do this scenery justice. It is a must do in my opinion! Plan for weather around mid day. The clouds moved in around 1130. We were fortunate that the rain didn't start until we reached our vehicle.

Note as of 6/9/17 there is too much snow to finish the hike. We were able to hike to 11,500. You can't find the trail after this. Very hard from a cardio standpoint. Beautiful views.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

My favorite CO fourteener never disappoints! Nice moderate hike. The scree can make things a bit interesting so trekking poles are a good idea for the descent.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Definitely difficult. Especially skree field but worth it. Spectacular views!!!

Saturday, August 20, 2016

amazing view worth the hike

Friday, August 19, 2016

TREKKING POLES. You'll need them for the steep scree section both going up and coming down. Absolutely beautiful views and the V notch near the summit makes you feel all the more accomplished when summiting.

geocaching
Friday, July 29, 2016

We actually completed the topgun approach which links the ridgeline between Yankee boy and sneffels. The scree was as expected at 40 degrees -ish but there was absolutely nobody else on it until it linked up with the classic route. There was Little bit of snow still left in the couloir but easily manageable with basic skills. take care if you are completing the topgun approach because it contains class 4+ navigation in sections depending on your route.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

One of the most beautiful summit views in Colorado in my opinion. Great starter 14er... one that is a comfortable day hike without technical pitches. This is a great choice for those that are wanting to take on their first 14er with a bit of a challenge. The trail is established, but you still want to research the route before you go.

The scree field is steep, so be ready for the scramble. There will be snow in shaded areas for most of the summer, but you can avoid most of it by mid to late summer. There is a more technical route available... just FYI. This is a great day's adventure!

Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Did this in August 2015 and it has been my favorite 14er so far. The basin is gorgeous and the views from the top are amazing. Very steep climb through scree and then some scrambling near the top. It's a pretty short hike if you can make it to the upper lot but we started pretty low and had to tack on a few more miles.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016

This was a truly unforgettable trek for me.
If you can tough it through the scree field up to the saddle, you should have an easy time making it to the summit.
I recommend going early in the morning if you plan on summiting after July, as the monsoons come in around noon and the view will not be clear.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

I've renamed this 14er Mt. Doom. My husband picked out this 14er for us to do while on a road-trip vacation and passing through Ouray. We had a park a bit of ways from the lower trailhead because we weren't in a 4WD vehicle. Started making our way up and first 3/4 were great. Beautiful views, really well maintained trail, challenging elevation gain but in a good way. The last bit is just a straight up rock slide. Complete rock scramble over very loose shale. You have to be super careful about your footing or else you will start sliding back down the mountain. When you finally reach 14000 ft., you have to climb up and through this V notch to get the actual summit. Extremely beautiful views at the top. However the way back down on that loose shale and at such a steep angle was just a little too far out of my comfort zone to be enjoyable. My husband on the other hand was loving life, so it all depends on what you like. I will continue to call it Mt. Doom.