Mount Sneffels Classic Route - Yankee Boy Basin

Mount Sneffels Classic Route - Yankee Boy Basin is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ridgway, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

off road driving

rock climbing

skiing

The views are beyond a 5-star rating - completely out of this world and so different than any other 14er. I have to give it 3 stars though because I don't think I could ever push myself to do it again - it was by far the most mentally challenging climb I've done to date - many "life or death" moments with steep steep uphill scree shifting beneath every step you take up to the ridge and then again up to the summit. The V-Notch was a test of true grit, be sure you research this part well so you're not surprised when you see it. The summit wasn't crowded at all, we even had about 5 mins of it completely to ourselves. It was hardly windy either which was a plus and a surprise. But all we could think about was the journey down, and it certainly was difficult. Had to use 3 points of contact minimum for most of the stretch. Great experience but one should really assess their mental stamina and physical capabilities before daring to attempt this one.

I gotta be honest, we hike a ton! We live in Ridgway and had been wanting to do this hike for awhile. Let me tell ya, it's probably the last time we will do it. We hiked it 8-6-17 and it was way more work than fun.
We parked at the bathrooms the normal spot, about 2 miles away from the trailhead. Take the trail when you see it, skip the road. It's more scenic and takes you around wrights lake with great views.
The trail... started on packed down scree, easy, no problem. Then once it started straight up, there was no trail, just crazy slick rock and dirt. This climb was shitty. We have had a ton of rain so I don't know if that affected the "trail" but it was basically just pick a line and take it. This portion easily took us an 1.5 hours each way.
At the top of that, you climb straight up a boulder field for around 300 feet or so. Of course the views were incredible but we definitely felt like we missed out on some of the fun by how focused we had to be. There are other hikes that offer these views without the risk of death. Lol! But really. Very tough on the knees, especially coming down. We were surprised by how we felt after about not wanting to do it again but we aren't trying to die on a hike. Bring a helmet.

Snow blocked the last part of the trail, but great views to that point.

It was my first 14er. The views and surrounding wilderness are worth the difficult climb at the end. We were in the clouds at the top, so we couldn't see the view of the mountains at the top, but still beautiful regardless. Coming down from the top is a little scary because of the loose rocks, so have make sure to have good supportive shoes and take your time. I would do it again!

This was a beautiful and moderately challenging hike! We started out hike at the lowest end of the four wheel drive road. Ten miles of hiking from start to finish. We started at 6am, reached the summit at noon and then returned to our starting point at 3pm. The pictures do not do this scenery justice. It is a must do in my opinion! Plan for weather around mid day. The clouds moved in around 1130. We were fortunate that the rain didn't start until we reached our vehicle.

Note as of 6/9/17 there is too much snow to finish the hike. We were able to hike to 11,500. You can't find the trail after this. Very hard from a cardio standpoint. Beautiful views.