Mount Sherman Trail

Mount Sherman Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 3-4 hours. There are many different places to park along the path up.

Fun! Starting above tree line takes away from the 14er experience of ascending/earning your changes of scenery, carried my 4-yr old, she hiked a good portion on her own, she didn’t like the exposure on the edge leading to the summit, and about lost it when she learned what a false summit was the hard way lol. However, a great experience for the two of us!

Super short and easy fourteener. Took me less than 2 hours to summit and 45 minutes to descend. Giving this 4 stars because it isn’t one of the prettiest fourteeners I’ve summited. Road leading to trailhead is rough but 2WD vehicles can make it.

My 5th 14er. Beautiful wildflowers and the old mine buildings are cool as well. There are a lot of trails to follow and we got a little off track and turned it into an 8+ mile hike. It was very windy in places and hiking near the top with drop-offs on both sides was a new and exciting experience for me.

Easiest 14er I’ve done.

Beautiful hike! The views are gorgeous on the way up and the wild flowers were in bloom!

Completed the hike in less than 3 hours despite the intense winds (which I am assuming is “normal”) and altitude sickness (fault of my own). We started at 1:30pm and had minimal crowds. Wonderful views and challenging in some spots. Saw a few chipmunks, birds and a marmot. There are a few patches of snow that can easily be walked around. Highly recommend!

This would be a really great 1st 14er. We parked up near the gate on the road (lower clearance cars could probably make it close to there) and were on the summit within 1:30. Weather was nice so we also traversed over to Sheridan, Peerless, and Horseshoe. Great day!

Loved it. Did it 6/28. Weather was perfect and not many people up there. Don’t be mislead that it Is easy. It will still get your lungs pumping and is pretty much a walk up but there is a section near that top that will get you heart beating as you look over the ledge into a valley over 1000 feet down. Such a great one. Glad I got to do it!

Easier fourteener but still a challenge for an old man. Great views from the ridgeline to the summit. very windy much of the way up and on the ridge. needed fleece, wind breaker and gloves.

Just hiking up the road portion makes you think you're not going to make it, but I thought it actually got easier (mentally) as you got better views higher up the trail. Pretty crowded but we started at the trailhead around 8 and got back around 11. Beautiful views once you get to the ridge all the way to the summit.

Certainly one of the easier 14'ers, but still a 14'er! There is not much easing into this hike, as you're working pretty hard within the first 100 steps. The road leading into the trail isn't terrible, but I would've been a little concerned in a vehicle without clearance. You are sheltered from the wind for maybe 1/3 of the hike, but it is very windy the other 2/3. Without gloves and ear cover (I elected a hood), I would've been very uncomfortable. The hike is quite short but very steep. I left the car at 7am, topped out at 8:30, and was back at the car at 9:30. Fantastically quick! Views are great up top and the exposure up the ridge on the summit push makes the steep climb well worth it!

This was a great , quick , straight forward 14er. 1.5 hour round trip run with some great views. Lots of options and amazing views . Tons of wind as always in this area so bring a layer . Awesome day in the Rockies !

A moderate difficulty 14er. Pretty rough road leading to the trailhead, not quite as bad as the one heading to Gray's & Torrey's, but still quite rocky.
Trail has a spiderweb of options from the start, most of which cross/meet back up. Crossed a snow field, but should be gone soon. Only complain is once the trail gets steep, it is hard to tell which direction to go. STAY RIGHT!!! We went left and it wasn't terrible, just a lot of the small, annoying rocks. Trail gets pretty steep.

Overall, not too difficult of a hike, just make sure you pay attention to where you are going!

This was our first 14er. Definitely more difficult than moderate but still doable. We started the hike around 10am. By the time we got close to the summit the wind was insane and we had to turn around. At the first fork in the path, turn right Bc the left trail is still snowy. Took us 3.5 hours but we were about 30 more minutes from the summit.

Was my first 14er in 1978 and have hiked a bunch of times since including a route not on the maps. We like this route because of the wildflowers. From the parking area find the small creek with all the shrubs and flowers and follow that up to a small pond. Stay in the middle of the draw until it opens up to the right (north). Stay right for a ways and you will find a moderate ascent to the top. Essentially this is an east approach. Along the way are beautiful alpine grass pastures in contrast to the traditional gravel paths.

It's a rough road and it gets worse after the Leavick site at about 11k, but not nearly as bad as the road to Greys and Torrey's. We saw one compact sedan that made it to the parking area (can't call it a lot) at 12k feet. But caution with a smaller vehicle is advised. Most cars were SUVs.

I would rate this as difficult only bc it is a 14er; an easier class 2 but still a 14er. Remember, you are at elevation. Most sites place the hike at about 5.25-5.5 miles roundtrip from the gate.

A large snowfield awaits as you ascend to the saddle - probably about 100 yards? - just an estimate (see pic posted). Most hikers ascended without spikes. We chose to put ours on. It's a thin path in the snow and the spikes offer traction. One misstep and you'll slide down the slope. Snow softened up in the afternoon, descent is trickier. Other than that, it's summer conditions.

Once on the ridge, it's rocky, steeper, and windy but reasonably calm at the summit. Take your time, poles help, and views of the Sawatch Range to the west are stunning! It was a rewarding day.

The road in is pretty annoying if you're in a small car, but it's worth it. The trailhead is not marked, but starts when 18 dead ends into a "private property" gate. The second half of the trail is all loose rock. The trail splits into a bunch of different routes throughout the middle, which is weird, but as long as you're headed in the right direction, they all end up in the same place. We hiked at night to watch the sunrise from the top and it was very hard to follow. Luckily we had a GPS to keep us on track. With all that said, it is a short 14er with a great view at the top. Definitely worth doing.

Very short but rewarding 14'er. The trail starts at a very cool mine after a long, bumpy forest service road. We camped at the trailhead the night before and were the first ones up.

Nice morning hike. A lot tougher in winter than summer. Check 14ers.com for trailhead reports.

Easy access and only moderately difficult. I flew from my home near Norfolk, VA to Denver, stayed in Colorado Springs overnight and then drove to trail head, hiked Mount Sherman and was back in the car by 2:00 pm. It could have been done sooner, but I slept in. Came back a few days later and hiked it with my 18 year old son. Had a great time both trips and met some good people along the trail,

Climbed on 1/20/18
Not as much snow as we were expecting. Ended up not using our snowshoes at all. Great weather the whole hike, clear skies and sun. Wind was rough at the top: 40-60mph gusts, didn’t spend much time up there. Spectacular views though. Lost the trail a couple of times in the snow which made it more challenging.
Had to park about a mile below the Leavick parking site. Turned this into a 10mile round trip for us.

Great 14er!

First 14er - nice hike - hard wind - spectacular views

Sept 2017

Very snowy and cold day. Very good 14er!

No way it is moderate especially with snow on the ground. I was up and down in 4.5 hours. Not a long hike but challenging. Much tougher than many hard hikes listed on this site.

Amazing 14er! Love the length and was able to finish in a couple hours. Beautiful 360 views of the mountain range from the top. Some snow towards the summit, probably about 6 inches or so. Layers and water proof shoes are a must! It’s still a 14er so be prepared! The ridge gets deeper snow and higher winds so careful there.

We went up from the Iowa Gulch side. Hadn't planned on going all the way as this was our second day at elevation (staying in Leadville) but one foot after the other led us steadily to the top. We had encouragement along the way and were very pleased with our success. Didn't break any speed records, though.

We started on the Iowa gulch side right outside Leadville. 8:30 we started hiking. Starting from this side was nice in the AM because you were in the shade for a good amount of time before having to shed a layer around 12,600 ft. This part was slightly steeper than I expected, but nothing to challenging. Arriving on the ridge you meet w people starting on the other route at 13,100. Starts to get windy around then and some clouds were starting to move in, but nothing threatening. Around 13,800/13,950 is the final push towards a ridge line where you walk across for a little bit before summiting. There was someone at the top of the mountain that had a titanium leg and was blind for any discouraged hikers, with the right people and gear, anyone can make it possible and it was amazing to see him up there! Had some lunch at the top and the weather started moving in by 11:30 am. Little rain but hardly noticeable. Thunder in the distance but nothing threatening at our location. Highly recommend this for people getting into hiking in higher altitudes.