Mount Sherman Trail via Four Mile Creek Road

Mount Sherman Trail via Four Mile Creek Road is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,024 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

skiing

historic site

Please note: roads leading to trailhead may seasonally close. Please research prior to your visit. Directions from Fairplay: From Fairplay, drive south on U.S. 285 one mile to the Fourmile Creek national forest access road. Turn right (west) and drive eleven miles to Leavick. This is a good place to leave two-wheel drive cars. At Leavick, a jeep road continues west-northwest to the Dauntless Mine. This road takes hikers to the Fourmile Creek Trailhead. Climb west to the low point of the Sherman-Sheridan saddle and then northeast up the southwest ridge.

icy

Went on Saturday and trail is pretty much dry. Had microspikes but only needed them maybe 20% of the time. Could drive up to the trailhead. Winds are just ridiculous on that peak, that's the only hard part.

Completed on 10/14/19. Wonderful hike! 8.4 km for us but we went off trail a couple of times. 1-2 false summits. Look for the cairns. Many areas with loose gravel/rocks. Some snow in areas. CRAZY wind gusts towards the top that made it a bit sketchy at times, but also fun! My first 14er so we took our time and it was just under 3 hrs up, 1.5 hrs down. Can definitely be done faster :) Some guys ascended before sunrise, which I would have gotten lost for sure,but if you are experienced reading trails and have a good headlamp, go for it! The views were stunning. Really enjoyed it!

This fourteener was the easiest one I’ve done by far! This trail is AMAZING if you have an over eager dog like me. The trail was wide and very gradual so I felt like I could keep a good pace with my excited pup. The trail is super wide and gradual until about the last half mile where it gets more narrow and scrambly, but nothing too bad. I went on a Wednesday (four days ago) so we only ran into about 4 other people. I definitely recommend this hike for anyone’s first 14er, because it is much easier and not as long. From my car to the summit back to my car, my Fitbit counted 9.5 miles.

Hiked with 11 and 10 year olds, this was their third 14'er and they had no troubles with it -it's a nice easy one and we enjoyed checking out the old mines. Extremely windy at the top. Clocked it at 5.25 miles from gate and completed in 3 hrs 45 minutes.

Short hike, relatively. No hiking poles needed. Wind can get up there in there and given temps now would recommend good winter gloves and appropriate layering. Exposure contained, but loose rocks...cool old mining cites, but unadvisable to get too close...completed in 3.45, wasn’t trying to go fast...

Definitely not 4.4 miles. I clocked 5.4 miles and 2600 elevation. Still amazing hike.

private property

This 14er was a short, but sweet hike. I arrived at the trailhead around 6am and was able to get one of the last parking spots in the main lot. There's still a decent amount of people on the mountain, but it's much less than others. the views from the top are great, although today it looked like a sea of clouds, still nice. There's also lots of old mining equipment and shafts to look at, just don't get too close. I would highly recommend this hike if you're looking for an easier 14er that isn't as crowded as Evans or Bierstadt.

I would recommend a high clearance vehicle even though I saw a car at the gate. The trail starts behind the gate which is a continuation of the dirt road and veers off toward the right to a more traditional trail. My hike was very windy especially right before the ridge and at the exposed ridge. I know of three people that turned around because of the wind. The trail is easy to follow and the end is awesome. I will say that the elevation could be an issue for some for sure.

My first 14er!! Not gonna lie, it was fairly challenging! I think the most challenging part were the 40mph winds we had to contend with. The views at the top were beautiful! And we definitely felt like it was an accomplishment.

Nice views at the top. Short RT, windy on the ridge compare to the summit.

Great hike. Ridgeline full of shale, but safe. Not too windy until you get to the top, but the view are very worth it. Old mine shafts were neat to look around in too

Probably the easiest 14er I’ve done and most likely my go-to for now on to start the season as a warm up. There’s an ankle-breaker (loose rocks) section just a little before the saddle, but other than that the risk of injury here is minimal. Getting there is easy and if you want to drive really slow to avoid rocks you can get a 2wd car there. I definitely would recommend something that’s a little higher off the ground, but it can be done if you don’t have access to a truck or suv. I definitely wouldn’t consider this a Jeep trail. Also don’t let bad reviews because of poor planning scare you off. If you want an easy intro to 14ers or just need to cross this one off the list - just go do it!

Great intro to 14ers! My wife didn't think she could make it up, but she did great!

Few important things to consider before hiking this trail. First, I originally typed in mount Sherman into google maps and it brought me to the other wide of the other side of the mountain opposite of the trailhead. So make sure you follow the directions on here unless you want to end up 2 hours away. Second, expect about 20 miles on an unpaved dirt/rocky road before actually approaching the trailhead. I have a Jeep Wrangler so it wasn’t an issue, but if you have a nice car or one that may break down if you hit a large pothole, then maybe reconsider. Third, and most important, I hike with my 3 dogs all of which are avid hikers and have done multiple 14ers. The entire trail is all rocky especially when you get towards the top there are a lot of loose rocks. The way up they were fine, however the way down on the rocks caused all 3 dogs to have severe blisters on all 4 of their paws to the point where my one dog was leaving a blood trail down the mountain (I would have carried him but he’s 130lbs). We had to carry one down because she couldn’t walk anymore. It’s now the next day and my carpet is stained with blood and he barley made it outside this morning to use the bathroom. I’m a vet, so luckily I can treat him at home, but please take this into consideration when bringing your own pups on this trail. I saw other dogs on the trail and they all seemed fine, but unfortunately mine were not and I wouldn’t want anyone else to experience this with their own fur babies.

Started this trail at 5 AM to avoid the crowds on a Saturday. Parked at the large lot and got a ride from a good Samaritan on the way up to the trailhead. Only a few cars so plenty of space. Trail was good as long as you stay right on the first split and follow it up. Definitely windy with gusts up to 30 mph on the ridgeline above 13,000 feet but almost no wind at the summit. Great views of fairplay and Leadville at the top! Spent about 3.5 hours hiking so a pretty quick trip compared to other 14ers. You don’t need trekking poles but would recommend layers and beanie/balaclava to protect from the wind. A great bluebird day!

Started at 7am and had front row parking. Beautiful hike although I am surprised people recommend for dogs. A lot of loose rock and scrambling, I wouldn’t suggest bringing the pups along. Crazy wind vortex close to summit