Mount Sherman Trail via Four Mile Creek Road is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

historic site

Directions from Fairplay: From Fairplay, drive south on U.S. 285 one mile to the Fourmile Creek national forest access road. Turn right (west) and drive eleven miles to Leavick. This is a good place to leave two-wheel drive cars. At Leavick, a jeep road continues west-northwest to the Dauntless Mine. This road takes hikers to the Fourmile Creek Trailhead. Climb west to the low point of the Sherman-Sheridan saddle and then northeast up the southwest ridge.

Rocky covered with scree a d talus. Trailhead at about 12000, well above treeline. Easily accessible from hwy 285 just south of Fairplay north on County Road 18. Travel on this dirt road until a closed gate parking along the road in front of the gate where ever available. Parking is suitable for a weekend crowd. The dirt road is flanked by a healthy forest of limber and bristle cone pines. There is a short trail called Limber Pine Trail along the way that flanks a creek filled with willows. Great for possible moose sightings. The hike from the closed gate to the summit of Mt. Sherman is about 2.5 miles and about 2100 feet elevation gain. There is a very short area of exposure along the ridge near the top as well as strong winds.There are two false summits as well. Like any alpine peak, the view from the summit dismisses all experiences of wind rocks and fatigue. Great hike for a first 14er. It was considerably easier than most of the other alpine hikes I did this past summer. Sadly, I missed the wildflowers on this peak due to the lateness of the season.

Roommate and I completed the trail in ~4.5 hrs, which we feel pretty good about considering how out of shape we are. No snow yet, but a lot of the trail is loose gravel/scree, and by the end I was wishing for my knee brace. It was extremely windy up on the ridge but calm at the summit. My little '07 Honda Fit made it all the way up to the trail head just fine -- can't say I'd recommend it, but if your only option is a low-clearance vehicle, it's doable.

Beautiful views, great for hiking in off-season (late fall/winter). Not anything gnarly like other 14ers, but it’s a great first one.

Absolutely perfect day for the hike. Hiked on 9/23 spots throughout the hike were pretty windy but once you get to the top extremely calm. Make sure you have some layers as the temperature changes throughout and something for your ears.
Views were spectacular!

9/22 - Not a cloud in the sky, pretty windy but otherwise perfect conditions. Large, flat summit with amazing views! Easy for a 14er, just some pretty loose rock so be careful. The road to the trailhead can be a bit rough, but it’s far better than the Grays/Torrey’s Road. Would recommend highly as a first 14er or just a plain beautiful hike.

The dirt road was kind of a bumpy ride. But the trees are all yellow! It was a sight for me being from Houston. This was my first 14er and I had to take a lot of breaks. I took my time drank lots of water. My bandana helped a lot by breathing into it. It was hard but not imposible. The trail is soooo rocky, there was times when I couldn’t help but slide down. Watch your step. Don’t reinstall an ankle. I think I finished in 5 something hours. I run a lot in Houston so I think that helped me a lot. I felt really sick on the drive down. Could have been car sickness mixed with dehydration. I drank a lot of water and got really good sleep and felt brand new the next morning.

This was me and my husbands first 14er that we've done! We definitely enjoyed it and were surprised that the altitude didn't really bother us. We made it to the summit in 1 hr and 35 min which I think is pretty good. As the other reviews state, the road is bumpy at points but I have a truck so it wasn't a big deal for us at all and made it from fairplay in about 20-30 min. Only negative for me was the people who had their dogs off leash. Couldnt control their dogs when we hiked pass with ours on leashes. I'm sure it was just those few people though as others were thanking us for having ours on leashes. But, the view is worth it!!

It is relatively easy unless the last small ridge to the summit. The weather is so nice today and the trees are turning yellow along the road to the trail head. It is so beautiful!

Nice hike today. Road was rough, but still made it up to the 12,000 ft gate and back in a 10+ yr old minivan with touring tires. Watched our 12 and 11 year olds waltz up to the summit as we huffed and puffed along behind.

Great hike today and fantastic views from all along the trail. Very cold and windy at the top today so only stayed at the top for a short time. Climbing the final ridge to the top was fun with steep talus slopes on both sides. Not a particularly difficult climb as 14ers go so a good place for beginners. Don’t let it fool you though. Still not easy!

This was a great 14er! Much less crowded than the only other one we’ve done (quandary). We arrived on Sat AM around 630 and there were only about 10-15 cars parked. A few snow flurries on our way up and beautiful views. We finished around 1045.

No problem driving in our CRV, but slow going for the last several mile drive to the TH!

Our poles came in handy!

Trail was great. Views were incredible. Plenty of abandoned gold mines and old mining equipment to look at. Hard to imagine them mining above 13,000 feet.

Almost everything above the saddle was loose rock. Take your time. Poles are helpful. Very windy in the saddle and especially along the ridge. The summit was calm.

Had an F-16 pass at just over 14,000 about a quarter mile away. Very cool.

Road to the trailhead was crap. The last 1.5 miles was even worse. it may be normal for backcountry trailhead roads, but it was still bad. Allow a full hour from Fairplay.

Pretty easy for a 14er, we made it just fine up to the gate in our FJ Cruiser, I suggest you don't bring your Cadillac. There are no bathrooms, so make sure you go in town. A lot of loose gravel and boulders.

8/29 - up and back in 3h30m with a long break at the top since there wasn’t another soul in sight. Road is do-able; made in my AWD charger just have to be cautious.

Hiked in Saturday, August 25. Conditions were great! No snow or ice on the trail, easy to follow. The only maybe confusing part was that there is a fork in the road past the first two mines, stay right. There are rocks in the shape of an arrow pointing you in the right direction . After about 12,800ft, the trail is nothing but rocks, so wear sturdy shoes. I was cold enough to wear gloves at one point and hot enough to wear a tank top at another point. Lots of people at the top, but everyone was super Nice. The road to get to the trailhead was bumpy, but doable. We saw two moose on the way out!!

This was my first 14er and as a 62 year old flat lander from Minnesota I thought this was a great hike. It was relatively short and had great views at the summit. Like any flatlander you’ll be somewhat short of breath, but a good steady pace will get almost anyone to the top and down again.

One of the easy 14ers. Great view from top

Tough hike in general, but easy for 14ers. No hike is easy when with so little oxygen though, so don't underestimate it. The climb is relentless, and due to loose gravel and steep grade you'll want good hiking boots for the way down. Saw several people slip and fall, and 2 out of 3 of us in my group with good hiking boots took spills going downhill as well. Very rewarding for such a short distance. Go on an early weekday to avoid the crowds. And summit before noon to avoid electrical storms!!!

This was my 2nd 14’er (Bierstadt was the other) and the first for my son and sister who was visiting from sea level. We hit the trailhead at 9:00am on the first Sunday in August. There were quite a few others hiking, but most on their way down.

It took us a bit under 2.5 hours to summit with a number of pauses. The ridge was super windy, but it was quiet at the top with great views of Leadville, Turquoise lake in the distance as well as the surrounding mountains despite the fire haze. Hiking poles helped as there is plenty of loose rock and ankle twisters to hike across on the way up.

There are a lot of cool abandoned mines and mining equipment to look at right near the trailhead. That can make the bumpy drive worth taking even if you don’t complete the full summit.

It sprinkled a little on our hike and was cold near the top so we were happy to be prepared with rain and warmth layers. I saw a number of hikers who weren’t as prepared.

I agree it’s a great first 14er due to the short distance of the hike, but don’t let that fool you, it’s still a climb at altitude and my legs were complaining afterwards!

My first 14er

Great hike and accessible for most anyone. A perfect intro to 14'ers.

Extremely crowded with people playing music on speakers, hiking with off-leash dogs who weren't very well controlled, etc. I guess that's how it is now... Like a frat party in the mountains.

Started at 5:30 and summited at 7:00am. Slick in spots from fresh ice and snow. Escaped the thick of the crowds by heading over to Sheridan to make this one a little more difficult. Took the long way down from Sheridan to meet up with the Sherman trail, bypassing the crowds. Would be very easy to add Horseshoe and Peerless as well.

Road up is a little rough but made it fine in my sedan. The trail is simple but a lot of lose rock and gravel. Made it to the top around 1130 ish and had a storm roll in so be careful of the weather. Beautiful views

I agree with the reviews below: road is rough but doable for most vehicles (high clearance recommended though) and the hike is an easy 14’er but is a more difficult hike overall. My advice, especially to the less experienced, would be to go right at the fork seen on the map. This is a more gently sloping ascent and you get to see more ruins, bonus. We went left ascending and experienced more loose rock. But it was doable for sure.

We hiked Mt. Sherman on Saturday, 7/21. It was a beautiful day, hardly any wind at all. Couldn't ask for more perfect conditions. The road to the trail head is bumpy to say the least, but totally doable in a regular car if you drive slow. You will just need some clearance from the rocks. A low sports car will not work. Let me start by saying that there is no bathroom at the trail head, so take care of that before getting there. I keep hearing people say this is an easy hike. I just don't get that. It was not easy, maybe easy for a 14er, but don't be tricked into thinking it is easy. It is certainly doable by moderately fit persons, but you will be huffing and puffing. There is just one small section that you are not climbing up the entire time. Most of it you are climbing uphill on rocks. Near the top it gets steep. As for the ridge that everyone says is so scary, I have a fear of heights and did not find this section even remotely scary. Even if you fell off you would not fall off the mountain, so if that is something you are concerned about, don't be. Once you are on top there is plenty of space to sit and have lunch, etc. You can even walk over to another mountain. Views are beautiful to say the least. I tried with no success to find the summit marker. If anyone has seen it, I'd like to know where. LOL!

Nice easy hike for a 14’r. I’ve done 13 and this was the easiest so far. The reason being is the approach is really short and the vertical climb isn’t that long either . If you are used to hiking at altitude it’s a 2.5 to 3 hr hike depending upon how large my you sit at top. It’s worth the hike as views are good and a little different than you see to the north 14’rs. A lot of mining equipment still around which is cool . Another advantage of this hike is there is plenty of hiking to do on either the left or right of Sherman as you look up. You’ll see the paths . I made it a 5 hr hike by hiking over to mt on right of Sherman and then hiking down that mt. Would not recommend without poles as it’s steep and loose rock.
Road in was good for a 14’r road. 2wd is fine .
It’s a pretty area and worth the drive to get to!

2nd time climbing this one, 1st time with our 7-year-old. We are older and didn’t think it was easy at all! Kids loved the snow and weather was great. So beautiful. ❤️ Sherman!

It was a great beginner 14er! While it was a little steep at times, mostly a gradual incline with a large summit. Took about 2 hours to summit and 1:15 to descend. May not be the most picturesque 14er, but the views are still amazing and will definitely climb again!

Had a great hike yesterday - sunny, windy at times and on the cooler side. This would be a great starter hike for the less-experienced. Interesting mine ruins and fantastic views. A fun stretch of ridge on top leads to a broad and flattish final stroll to the top. You won’t regret this super hike!

Pretty easy 14er. From the gate to the summit is 2.45 miles. It took us 2 hours and 50 minutes round trip but we stopped at the top for about 15-20 minutes. It was pretty windy in the saddle. The road to the trailhead is rough! Don’t bring your Cadillac.