For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Mount Sherman Trail via Four Mile Creek Road

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(742)
Pike National Forest

Mount Sherman Trail via Four Mile Creek Road is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.0 mi Elevation gain 2,027 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Tips
Getting There

PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT attempt to climb the cornice blocking the trail. It’s safest to hike around it to avoid getting seriously injured. As you approach the large abandoned mine, stay climber’s right and then traverse left across the more mild snowfield to gain the ridge.

Colorado Tourism Office, 1625 Broadway, Suite 1700 , Denver, CO, 80202, Phone: 800-COLORADO

A fair amount of loose rock, so watch your step.

Please note: roads leading to trailhead may seasonally close. Please research prior to your visit. Directions from Fairplay: From Fairplay, drive south on U.S. 285 one mile to the Fourmile Creek national forest access road. Turn right (west) and drive eleven miles to Leavick. This is a good place to leave two-wheel drive cars. At Leavick, a jeep road continues west-northwest to the Dauntless Mine. This road takes hikers to the Fourmile Creek Trailhead. Climb west to the low point of the Sherman-Sheridan saddle and then northeast up the southwest ridge.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (764)
Photos (899)
Recordings (522)
Completed (2044)
Cody Li
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Although this is one of the easiest 14ers, it is not as busy as most others. I went on a Friday and only saw about ten cars in the lot. The hike was pretty easy and straightforward, except there's a fork in the road towards the beginning that easily could've taken you the wrong way. Luckily someone made an arrow with rocks pointing the right direction. The correct way is to take a right, but going straight would've only been a slight detour as eventually it reconnects to the main trail.

Scott Vanderpoel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020

1st 14er and I'd have to assume it is the easiest aside from driving up Pikes or Evans. Arrived at 715am on a Saturday and had to park further back, adding another half mile one way. Back to the car 3 hrs later, including a nice break at the summit. You don't have to wake up super early for this one since it is shorter. In fact, if you're coming from Denver you can sleep in and snag a good parking spot from one of the sunrise summitters leaving.

Dayna Johnson
Hiking

Beautiful views! windy up on the ridge- make sure to bring appropriate warm gear... get there early and be careful of the mud on the road: a truck got stuck this morning!

View Dayna's Recording
Lindsay Sumner
HikingNo shadeRocky

This was our 1st 14er and I think it was a good one! The views were gorgeous at the top and it wasn’t too difficult to find the trail (especially because there were so many people doing it). The road to get to the trailhead is definitely a little rough and I’d recommend AWD/4WD & decent ground clearance... otherwise you’ll have to hike quite a bit further. There were quite a few people camping along the road which you could easily do. We started around 8 am and finished by about noon... which for the weather that day, was plenty early enough!

Blake Presley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2020
Hiking

8-1-20 Found a men’s wedding band in the parking lot. Great hike for my first 14er. Email me or let me know a better place to post at bpresl00 at gmail. If you can describe the ring I’ll mail it.

Claire Heskett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Did this as my first 14er, and I think it’s a good one to start with. Great view at the top, and there’s a fun mix of terrain, starting out grassy and very green, and eventually becoming very rocky and a bit technical (though super fun). Highly recommend!

Kelly Kramarik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
Hiking

Great hike - our pups first 14er! I will say I wouldn’t classify this hike as an “easy 14er”. The entire hike outside of the bottom leg is all on loose gravel and rock. Footing is tough and extremely steep for the majority of the hike which takes a toll on your energy pretty quickly. The views were great and yes it’s not a long one but it’s definitely a killer!

View Kelly's Recording
Nabin Patriots
View Nabin's Recording
Brandy Cichocki
Hiking

So this was my first 14er and I’m glad it was! Went on a Saturday morning - trail head was PACKED at 6:30 am when I arrived. So make sure you go early!! Or don’t go on a weekend. For those wanting to do a 14er - I highly recommend it. Bring poles, as there is a significant portion of the trail with large loose rocks (but they are sturdy and just wobble - didn’t feel like I was going to tumble down and the poles helped with balance). Views of Leadville and Fairplay at the top - super busy, but I really enjoyed the hike!

Erica Cook
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Giving it 4 stars because it was short and I had great weather! I ended up going off trail by accident. When you reach the first fork, go right, not left. The trail is exposed all the way up, so you must either be comfortable going to the bathroom in public or make sure to go down by your car (just don’t go near & contaminate the streams!). Also, the road to get to Mt. Sherman is pretty rough. Views at the top were pretty!

View Erica's Recording
Bodhi Governson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
HikingRocky

Very easy hike. Lots of people on the way down.

View Bodhi's Recording
Alon Bajayo
HikingGreat!

3rd 14er, and definitely the easiest one (did Bierstat and Torrey's). If going on weekend arrive early - at 6 am the upper lot was almost full. There were tens of cars behind us, and I guess by 6:30 you added half a mile to your climb. Also, the 10 mile access road is rough. A standard SUV will do fine (drive slow and careful), but smaller cars will struggle (though we saw some of these). The hike is short, which makes the grade high, but barebale. the last half mile is scrambling rocks, but not as bad as others. When you reach the first for, after about a mile or less, take a right! There is a high arrow on the floor directing you. We took left and the road ends, and you have to cut through rocks back to trail. Not so difficult, but less easy

Alicia Koehler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
Hiking

It was a beautiful hike, but definitely not the prettiest 14er it’s not as impressive as any of the others I’ve been on. I give it a 3 as a 14er but would be a 5 if it were just another hike. I would say it’s a great first 14er because it’s the easiest one I’ve been on and it’s very short. It’s fun to take your time and look at all the abandoned mines!!

View Alicia's Recording
Kiley Ob
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Very chill 14er. It has some nice features, like the vestigial mining stuff scattered around for the first mile or so. Then, when the weather is right, there is the slide!!!! So much fun. Did this sometime in June, but don't know if it's viable all summer. Highly recommend hitting this trail, if just for that.

Grace S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
Jenna Vater
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
Hiking

Hiked on 7/19. Summited just before sunset and had the mountain to ourselves. We descended a bit and hunkered down to see the Neowise comet from the saddle. Overall a great and pretty easy hike. Plenty of cairns to follow when needed.

Kelsey C.
Hiking

Woke up at 2:30 and arrived to the trailhead at 5:30. The 10 mile road to the trailhead was bumpy and rocky, but definitely not as bad as the Grays and Torreys trailhead. On the way up, we saw lots of cool, old mines. The first 1.5 miles was a gradual incline. The last mile was rocky and steep. We got to the summit in an hour and a half. When we got to the top, we were in a massive cloud and couldn’t see anything from the top. It was a good thing the hike up was so beautiful and we even got to see the sunset. Such a great 14er! #5!

View Kelsey's Recording
Nate McMillen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
View Nate's Recording
Nick Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

Did this Sunday. On trail by 6. A handful of people when we reached the summit. 30 minutes later, there were at least 30 people on summit and tons more on their way as we descended. Trail is very exposed so definitely take a bathroom break by the car or tuck away along some of the old abandoned mines. Dirt road to trail is a bit rough. Saw a couple flat tires in the parking lot so take it easy!

Brendon Riha
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

We began the trail around 6am and summited in about an hour and 45 minutes taking our time. Beautiful cloudy day with minimal wind but a storm rolled in around 11 but it didn't seem too bad (however we were well off the peak by then). Out of my four 14ers this one was definitely the easiest.

Johnathan Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 18, 2020
HikingNo shadeRocky

began at 8pm 07/17 summit at 1030pm slept at top, no wind no weather. great view of the stars and of the comet! lots of potential for taking the long trail though, especially if your in the dark.

Janae Newman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

I hiked Sherman on Friday, July 17. I arrived at 5:15 AM hoping to get a close parking spot and catch sunrise. I was probably car #8. The trail was fairly well marked but I did have to refer to my AllTrails map a couple of times in the lower half. This was my fifth 14er and by far the shortest and easiest. It was SO windy and pretty cold early on. The rocks near the top were icy until 9ish. Great trail and some pretty views, especially at the top. Four Mile Creek Road was rough but I had no problem in my Honda Accord. You just wouldn’t want a car that sits too low to the ground.

Tanner Smithwick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

A fairly easy, but beautiful 14er! The road up to the trailhead is about 10 miles of rocky washboard, might be rough in a car, but if you have AWD or 4WD, you’ll be fine. Got to the trailhead at 6am on a Friday (7/17) and it was not crowded, just a handful of cars and plenty of parking. Be sure to look for the arrow made out of rocks on the ground about half a mile in that points to the right. Very windy today, but it was beautiful. The last half mile or so is a class 2 scramble across the southwest ridge, which is pretty exposed but is plenty wide to traverse comfortably - this was my favorite part! Pretty quick hike, we were up and down in less than 4 hours and spent a decent amount of time at the top chatting. The view at the top is awesome, too. There is a large snow slab that is blocking the trail, definitely worth hiking around IMO. By the time we were on our way down and passing it at 9am, the snow was pretty soft. I know some people were glissading down, but it didn’t feel quite safe enough to take the chance, especially given the drop off straight into rock at the end. Well worth the effort, and would be a great first fourteener. Saw a lot of kids and older folks enjoying the trail today and summiting.