Mount Sherman Trail

Mount Sherman Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2011 feet

skiing

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 3-4 hours. There are many different places to park along the path up.

Easy access and only moderately difficult. I flew from my home near Norfolk, VA to Denver, stayed in Colorado Springs overnight and then drove to trail head, hiked Mount Sherman and was back in the car by 2:00 pm. It could have been done sooner, but I slept in. Came back a few days later and hiked it with my 18 year old son. Had a great time both trips and met some good people along the trail,

Climbed on 1/20/18
Not as much snow as we were expecting. Ended up not using our snowshoes at all. Great weather the whole hike, clear skies and sun. Wind was rough at the top: 40-60mph gusts, didn’t spend much time up there. Spectacular views though. Lost the trail a couple of times in the snow which made it more challenging.
Had to park about a mile below the Leavick parking site. Turned this into a 10mile round trip for us.

Great 14er!

First 14er - nice hike - hard wind - spectacular views

Sept 2017

Very snowy and cold day. Very good 14er!

No way it is moderate especially with snow on the ground. I was up and down in 4.5 hours. Not a long hike but challenging. Much tougher than many hard hikes listed on this site.

Amazing 14er! Love the length and was able to finish in a couple hours. Beautiful 360 views of the mountain range from the top. Some snow towards the summit, probably about 6 inches or so. Layers and water proof shoes are a must! It’s still a 14er so be prepared! The ridge gets deeper snow and higher winds so careful there.

We went up from the Iowa Gulch side. Hadn't planned on going all the way as this was our second day at elevation (staying in Leadville) but one foot after the other led us steadily to the top. We had encouragement along the way and were very pleased with our success. Didn't break any speed records, though.

We started on the Iowa gulch side right outside Leadville. 8:30 we started hiking. Starting from this side was nice in the AM because you were in the shade for a good amount of time before having to shed a layer around 12,600 ft. This part was slightly steeper than I expected, but nothing to challenging. Arriving on the ridge you meet w people starting on the other route at 13,100. Starts to get windy around then and some clouds were starting to move in, but nothing threatening. Around 13,800/13,950 is the final push towards a ridge line where you walk across for a little bit before summiting. There was someone at the top of the mountain that had a titanium leg and was blind for any discouraged hikers, with the right people and gear, anyone can make it possible and it was amazing to see him up there! Had some lunch at the top and the weather started moving in by 11:30 am. Little rain but hardly noticeable. Thunder in the distance but nothing threatening at our location. Highly recommend this for people getting into hiking in higher altitudes.

Beautiful views. Easy for a 14er.

Great hike....but I learned today that there is no such thing as an "easy" 14ner. While I was able to physically do this hike, I'm 50 and not in the best of shape but hike most weekends, there were some challenges. Be prepared for an early start, feet crushing scree fields and a ridge that is not for the faint of hearts. Beautiful views!

Cool old mining artifacts everywhere around here. This was my first 14er and the wind was whipping around so much I got an earache! Bring a beanie! Great views from the top.

Incredible views in all directions. Windy on the ridge heading up followed by no wind at the summit -- not sure why. More hikers on top arrived via four wheel drive road from Fairplay.

Excellent for your first 14er

1st 14k, glad to get it under my belt. While I'm a man of the sea, who'd have thought, I'm a mountain man too. Explored a lot while going through several communities & mountains over multiple trips this year. New to AllTrails though & appreciate the commentary & feedback of others. I'll be better at sharing too & give tips when they're evident. For now, just show up, anticipate some strenuous effort, & knock this out. A very manageable 1st 14.

Great trail for a first 14er. Was a little dicey toward the top with the narrow ridge.

There are no "easy" 14ers, of course. But this is a great mountain to start with! Easier than most 14ers and a little taste of exposure on the ridge. There is an optional fun scramble up the talus field below the Dauntless Mine, that was my favorite part of the climb! Summit is broad and flat with tons of places to rest and drink champagne ;)

Great hike for your first 14er. Make sure to summit before noon or you may get bad weather. Bring a hiking pole. While I saw several dogs, it seemed a bit cruel for their feet. Owners discretion but I suggest leaving them home. Great views of Leadville and Fairplay. I came up from Fairplay - county rd 18 and drove about 10 miles on a dirt road. Several people but not overcrowded for a Wednesday. Experienced wind and hail on the way down.

Great hike, I agree with others that this is one of the easier fourteeners. Views towards Leadville are nice. Would give five stars but the road in is awful, did not like that part at all.

Earlier the better to avoid the masses. Currently still at least one snow crossing to do. I brought my crampons but they weren't necessary.

One of the easier 14ers. Still an enjoyable hike.

Weather was great and made for a nice hike. Enjoyed the views and old mining equipment.

It would be nice to have some trail SIGNS. we hiked to several false summits...and another hiker even thought the mountain next to it was Sherman. We hiked for a grand total of about 11 miles from getting lost on trails. Other than that...nice hike and a good day. We finally submitted the real mount Sherman.

One of the quicker 14ers. Not the prettiest in the way up, but the views from the top are breathtaking!

Not the prettiest hike but the views were worth it. I don't know how to make this trail 4.5 miles RT. I hiked 7.8 miles by the time I was through with it. It was pretty rocky with a lot of scrambling.

My first fourteener.

Monday, April 17, 2017

first winter summit ever! our car can't make any further than the winter trailhead and we lost the trail a couple of times, but it was so quiet at the top that we had the summit by ourselves. very nice background view in the winter too.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

From the Iowa Gulch TH it was exposed, rocky, and today was very windy with small snow drifts at the top. Terrific views with little mileage and vertical gain compared to other 14ers in CO.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Short and easy compared to most 14ers. Good views at the top, but not a lot to get excited about on a majority of the trail.

There is access to some other 13ers once you get to the top - there is pointy one called Gemini that is worth scaling since you're already up there.