Mount Sherman Trail

Mount Sherman Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1961 feet

skiing

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 3-4 hours. There are many different places to park along the path up.

Great 14er!

First 14er - nice hike - hard wind - spectacular views

Sept 2017

Very snowy and cold day. Very good 14er!

No way it is moderate especially with snow on the ground. I was up and down in 4.5 hours. Not a long hike but challenging. Much tougher than many hard hikes listed on this site.

Amazing 14er! Love the length and was able to finish in a couple hours. Beautiful 360 views of the mountain range from the top. Some snow towards the summit, probably about 6 inches or so. Layers and water proof shoes are a must! It’s still a 14er so be prepared! The ridge gets deeper snow and higher winds so careful there.

We went up from the Iowa Gulch side. Hadn't planned on going all the way as this was our second day at elevation (staying in Leadville) but one foot after the other led us steadily to the top. We had encouragement along the way and were very pleased with our success. Didn't break any speed records, though.

We started on the Iowa gulch side right outside Leadville. 8:30 we started hiking. Starting from this side was nice in the AM because you were in the shade for a good amount of time before having to shed a layer around 12,600 ft. This part was slightly steeper than I expected, but nothing to challenging. Arriving on the ridge you meet w people starting on the other route at 13,100. Starts to get windy around then and some clouds were starting to move in, but nothing threatening. Around 13,800/13,950 is the final push towards a ridge line where you walk across for a little bit before summiting. There was someone at the top of the mountain that had a titanium leg and was blind for any discouraged hikers, with the right people and gear, anyone can make it possible and it was amazing to see him up there! Had some lunch at the top and the weather started moving in by 11:30 am. Little rain but hardly noticeable. Thunder in the distance but nothing threatening at our location. Highly recommend this for people getting into hiking in higher altitudes.

Beautiful views. Easy for a 14er.

Great hike....but I learned today that there is no such thing as an "easy" 14ner. While I was able to physically do this hike, I'm 50 and not in the best of shape but hike most weekends, there were some challenges. Be prepared for an early start, feet crushing scree fields and a ridge that is not for the faint of hearts. Beautiful views!

Cool old mining artifacts everywhere around here. This was my first 14er and the wind was whipping around so much I got an earache! Bring a beanie! Great views from the top.

Incredible views in all directions. Windy on the ridge heading up followed by no wind at the summit -- not sure why. More hikers on top arrived via four wheel drive road from Fairplay.

Excellent for your first 14er

Great trail for a first 14er. Was a little dicey toward the top with the narrow ridge.

There are no "easy" 14ers, of course. But this is a great mountain to start with! Easier than most 14ers and a little taste of exposure on the ridge. There is an optional fun scramble up the talus field below the Dauntless Mine, that was my favorite part of the climb! Summit is broad and flat with tons of places to rest and drink champagne ;)

Great hike for your first 14er. Make sure to summit before noon or you may get bad weather. Bring a hiking pole. While I saw several dogs, it seemed a bit cruel for their feet. Owners discretion but I suggest leaving them home. Great views of Leadville and Fairplay. I came up from Fairplay - county rd 18 and drove about 10 miles on a dirt road. Several people but not overcrowded for a Wednesday. Experienced wind and hail on the way down.

Great hike, I agree with others that this is one of the easier fourteeners. Views towards Leadville are nice. Would give five stars but the road in is awful, did not like that part at all.

Earlier the better to avoid the masses. Currently still at least one snow crossing to do. I brought my crampons but they weren't necessary.

One of the easier 14ers. Still an enjoyable hike.

Weather was great and made for a nice hike. Enjoyed the views and old mining equipment.