Mount Sherman Trail

Mount Sherman Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leadville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

The trail is great for hiking and normally takes 3-4 hours. There are many different places to park along the path up.

Tough hike in general, but easy for 14ers. No hike is easy when with so little oxygen though, so don't underestimate it. The climb is relentless, and due to loose gravel and steep grade you'll want good hiking boots for the way down. Saw several people slip and fall, and 2 out of 3 of us in my group with good hiking boots took spills going downhill as well. Very rewarding for such a short distance. Go on an early weekday to avoid the crowds. And summit before noon to avoid electrical storms!!!

This was my 2nd 14’er (Bierstadt was the other) and the first for my son and sister who was visiting from sea level. We hit the trailhead at 9:00am on the first Sunday in August. There were quite a few others hiking, but most on their way down.

It took us a bit under 2.5 hours to summit with a number of pauses. The ridge was super windy, but it was quiet at the top with great views of Leadville, Turquoise lake in the distance as well as the surrounding mountains despite the fire haze. Hiking poles helped as there is plenty of loose rock and ankle twisters to hike across on the way up.

There are a lot of cool abandoned mines and mining equipment to look at right near the trailhead. That can make the bumpy drive worth taking even if you don’t complete the full summit.

It sprinkled a little on our hike and was cold near the top so we were happy to be prepared with rain and warmth layers. I saw a number of hikers who weren’t as prepared.

I agree it’s a great first 14er due to the short distance of the hike, but don’t let that fool you, it’s still a climb at altitude and my legs were complaining afterwards!

My first 14er

Great hike and accessible for most anyone. A perfect intro to 14'ers.

Extremely crowded with people playing music on speakers, hiking with off-leash dogs who weren't very well controlled, etc. I guess that's how it is now... Like a frat party in the mountains.

Started at 5:30 and summited at 7:00am. Slick in spots from fresh ice and snow. Escaped the thick of the crowds by heading over to Sheridan to make this one a little more difficult. Took the long way down from Sheridan to meet up with the Sherman trail, bypassing the crowds. Would be very easy to add Horseshoe and Peerless as well.

Road up is a little rough but made it fine in my sedan. The trail is simple but a lot of lose rock and gravel. Made it to the top around 1130 ish and had a storm roll in so be careful of the weather. Beautiful views

I agree with the reviews below: road is rough but doable for most vehicles (high clearance recommended though) and the hike is an easy 14’er but is a more difficult hike overall. My advice, especially to the less experienced, would be to go right at the fork seen on the map. This is a more gently sloping ascent and you get to see more ruins, bonus. We went left ascending and experienced more loose rock. But it was doable for sure.

We hiked Mt. Sherman on Saturday, 7/21. It was a beautiful day, hardly any wind at all. Couldn't ask for more perfect conditions. The road to the trail head is bumpy to say the least, but totally doable in a regular car if you drive slow. You will just need some clearance from the rocks. A low sports car will not work. Let me start by saying that there is no bathroom at the trail head, so take care of that before getting there. I keep hearing people say this is an easy hike. I just don't get that. It was not easy, maybe easy for a 14er, but don't be tricked into thinking it is easy. It is certainly doable by moderately fit persons, but you will be huffing and puffing. There is just one small section that you are not climbing up the entire time. Most of it you are climbing uphill on rocks. Near the top it gets steep. As for the ridge that everyone says is so scary, I have a fear of heights and did not find this section even remotely scary. Even if you fell off you would not fall off the mountain, so if that is something you are concerned about, don't be. Once you are on top there is plenty of space to sit and have lunch, etc. You can even walk over to another mountain. Views are beautiful to say the least. I tried with no success to find the summit marker. If anyone has seen it, I'd like to know where. LOL!

Nice easy hike for a 14’r. I’ve done 13 and this was the easiest so far. The reason being is the approach is really short and the vertical climb isn’t that long either . If you are used to hiking at altitude it’s a 2.5 to 3 hr hike depending upon how large my you sit at top. It’s worth the hike as views are good and a little different than you see to the north 14’rs. A lot of mining equipment still around which is cool . Another advantage of this hike is there is plenty of hiking to do on either the left or right of Sherman as you look up. You’ll see the paths . I made it a 5 hr hike by hiking over to mt on right of Sherman and then hiking down that mt. Would not recommend without poles as it’s steep and loose rock.
Road in was good for a 14’r road. 2wd is fine .
It’s a pretty area and worth the drive to get to!

2nd time climbing this one, 1st time with our 7-year-old. We are older and didn’t think it was easy at all! Kids loved the snow and weather was great. So beautiful. ❤️ Sherman!

It was a great beginner 14er! While it was a little steep at times, mostly a gradual incline with a large summit. Took about 2 hours to summit and 1:15 to descend. May not be the most picturesque 14er, but the views are still amazing and will definitely climb again!

Had a great hike yesterday - sunny, windy at times and on the cooler side. This would be a great starter hike for the less-experienced. Interesting mine ruins and fantastic views. A fun stretch of ridge on top leads to a broad and flattish final stroll to the top. You won’t regret this super hike!

Pretty easy 14er. From the gate to the summit is 2.45 miles. It took us 2 hours and 50 minutes round trip but we stopped at the top for about 15-20 minutes. It was pretty windy in the saddle. The road to the trailhead is rough! Don’t bring your Cadillac.

We made it to the trailhead in our rented minivan without any trouble, though we took it slow and easy. Three dads and four youngsters, ages 11 to 14, made the climb without any difficulty. We’re all from the East Coast and handled the elevation by stopping about every 100 feet of vertical climb. We began our hike at 9:30am last Thursday morning and reached the summit at noon. The summit is pretty flat and our weather was outstanding, so we hung out at the top for a while. The hike back down took about 1h15. We could have applied more sunscreen, but otherwise the trip was perfect.

The road is actually not very rough compared with Mt Democrat. Any pickup or SUV can make it to the 12000 gate easily and there is room for an easy turn around at the gate. Beautiful views and the easiest 14er I’ve done so far. Some smoke in the air from wildfires at the start this AM. Clear up top. Fireweed, Indian paintbrush, asters and other composite flowers abound. Could not find the bench mark. Anyone seen it?

Easy and short for a 14er, would be a good intro peak for someone new. Good view at the top. Road up to the trailhead is rocky and rough, but plenty of 2WD vehicles made the trip.

Easy for a 14er. Ridge near the top is a little dicey but easily doable with minimal skill. Great panoramic views at the top. Road to the trailhead is one of the worst I’ve ever driven - you really need high clearance, tons of potholes and rocks.

So windy holy cow! Be careful I heard it’s like this all the time.

Pretty easy hike (for a 14er). The ridge was awesome but a little scary ( make sure ur on the right side of the ridge. On side is tough and one side is safe.

This was my 3rd 14er and probably the easiest (bierstadt and quandary). Prettier than bierstadt up top, but not as good as quandary. This is a great beginner mountain to climb. We started from the FairPlay side

Fun! Starting above tree line takes away from the 14er experience of ascending/earning your changes of scenery, carried my 4-yr old, she hiked a good portion on her own, she didn’t like the exposure on the edge leading to the summit, and about lost it when she learned what a false summit was the hard way lol. However, a great experience for the two of us!

Super short and easy fourteener. Took me less than 2 hours to summit and 45 minutes to descend. Giving this 4 stars because it isn’t one of the prettiest fourteeners I’ve summited. Road leading to trailhead is rough but 2WD vehicles can make it.

My 5th 14er. Beautiful wildflowers and the old mine buildings are cool as well. There are a lot of trails to follow and we got a little off track and turned it into an 8+ mile hike. It was very windy in places and hiking near the top with drop-offs on both sides was a new and exciting experience for me.

Easiest 14er I’ve done.

Beautiful hike! The views are gorgeous on the way up and the wild flowers were in bloom!

Completed the hike in less than 3 hours despite the intense winds (which I am assuming is “normal”) and altitude sickness (fault of my own). We started at 1:30pm and had minimal crowds. Wonderful views and challenging in some spots. Saw a few chipmunks, birds and a marmot. There are a few patches of snow that can easily be walked around. Highly recommend!

This would be a really great 1st 14er. We parked up near the gate on the road (lower clearance cars could probably make it close to there) and were on the summit within 1:30. Weather was nice so we also traversed over to Sheridan, Peerless, and Horseshoe. Great day!

Loved it. Did it 6/28. Weather was perfect and not many people up there. Don’t be mislead that it Is easy. It will still get your lungs pumping and is pretty much a walk up but there is a section near that top that will get you heart beating as you look over the ledge into a valley over 1000 feet down. Such a great one. Glad I got to do it!

Easier fourteener but still a challenge for an old man. Great views from the ridgeline to the summit. very windy much of the way up and on the ridge. needed fleece, wind breaker and gloves.

Just hiking up the road portion makes you think you're not going to make it, but I thought it actually got easier (mentally) as you got better views higher up the trail. Pretty crowded but we started at the trailhead around 8 and got back around 11. Beautiful views once you get to the ridge all the way to the summit.