Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak

Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I did this hike yesterday and it was very beautiful. The lack (or little amount) of switchbacks is not bad going up. However going down can makes it a little difficult. The trail is gravel so be careful when descending. Having good shoes with ankle support would help a lot (however mine did not and my friend wore nikes so it is possible without)! There were marmots and mountain goats which were fun to see!

Being a seasoned hiker when it comes to 14ers, my boyfriend and I found this trail pretty challenging. it was essentially up the whole way, no switchback just straight up. it wad a very beautiful hike, but it was akin to doing the manitou incline 10 times then a mad scramble at the top. not sure what happened, but my fit bit tracked it as a 13 mile hike round trip, and we didnt even get to mt tabagauche!

plenty of campsites on the road up to the trailhead. my prius made the road, although there were some questionable areas.

all in all - bring double the water because i truly believe this mt was one of the harder ones. we met someone who has hiked 50 14ers and he agreed! but dont let it scare you away, just be prepared to get your sweat on!

How long does it take to get up to the peak and back down?

6.19.17 Left the parking lot at 6 AM and had a good round trip to Shavano. Saw Pika, Marmots, friendly humans and lots of nice alpine wildflowers. There were a couple snowfields to cross going to Shavano (don't let the first one you encounter discourage you) Did not use crampons. Saved Tabeguache for the next time since the path looked a bit snowy for my gear but saw other climbers heading on that way.

6.8.17. After a lovely first half mile, the next mile gets TOUGH. Straight up with very little relief, hiking on beds of rock. Admittedly, I am in the worst shape of my adult life due to an injury, but I would've found this challenging when I was in great shape. After that, there are moments of reprieve via switchbacks and some softer terrain. We knew we probably wouldn't be able to summit since we weren't equipped for blankets of snow. The snow was slippery. We made it about 2.5 miles & had to turn around.

very beautiful trail with a lot of Aspen and wild flowers at the base, going up thru the forest, pretty gradual ascend for a 14er, but the final part has some steep incline. we did this first weekend of June 2017, still some snow but spikes are enough, no need for snowshoes if you're just doing Shavano.

Saturday, August 20, 2016