Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak

Mount Shavano and Tabeguache Peak is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

difficult if your not acclimated to the altitude. lots of uphill hiking. wear good shoes

Gorgeous trail. As other reviewers have noted, do be prepared to work for it. This trail took most of the day. The terrain can be loose, so wear something with good traction. A couple of compatriots and I managed fine in our chacos, but other hikers thought us a bit mad. I would recommend bringing more water than you think you will need; I brought only a 3L camelbak and rather wished I had just a little more. The last ascent to the summit is tough, but worth it. Lots of little mousetrail options heading up to it. Take breaks as often as you need, and you will make it just fine. No snow anywhere on or near the trails near the end of Summer. Also worth noting: You will hit Mt. Shavano's summit first. From there, you can opt to jump over to Mt. Tabeguache's peak if you like. I would hazard a guess that it adds approximately 2 miles and 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to your round trip. 14ers.com shows Mt. Shavano alone to be ~9.25 mi roundtrip and ~11.25 including a foray to Mt. Tabeguache.

You can't beat the view from the top, but you'll have to work for it. In July/August you should be on the trail by 6:30 in the morning in order to make the summit and get down below the tree line before the afternoon thunderstorms.

Brutal first 1.5 miles. Up and up. Very easy to follow.

I did this hike yesterday and it was very beautiful. The lack (or little amount) of switchbacks is not bad going up. However going down can makes it a little difficult. The trail is gravel so be careful when descending. Having good shoes with ankle support would help a lot (however mine did not and my friend wore nikes so it is possible without)! There were marmots and mountain goats which were fun to see!

Being a seasoned hiker when it comes to 14ers, my boyfriend and I found this trail pretty challenging. it was essentially up the whole way, no switchback just straight up. it wad a very beautiful hike, but it was akin to doing the manitou incline 10 times then a mad scramble at the top. not sure what happened, but my fit bit tracked it as a 13 mile hike round trip, and we didnt even get to mt tabagauche!

plenty of campsites on the road up to the trailhead. my prius made the road, although there were some questionable areas.

all in all - bring double the water because i truly believe this mt was one of the harder ones. we met someone who has hiked 50 14ers and he agreed! but dont let it scare you away, just be prepared to get your sweat on!

How long does it take to get up to the peak and back down?

6.19.17 Left the parking lot at 6 AM and had a good round trip to Shavano. Saw Pika, Marmots, friendly humans and lots of nice alpine wildflowers. There were a couple snowfields to cross going to Shavano (don't let the first one you encounter discourage you) Did not use crampons. Saved Tabeguache for the next time since the path looked a bit snowy for my gear but saw other climbers heading on that way.

6.8.17. After a lovely first half mile, the next mile gets TOUGH. Straight up with very little relief, hiking on beds of rock. Admittedly, I am in the worst shape of my adult life due to an injury, but I would've found this challenging when I was in great shape. After that, there are moments of reprieve via switchbacks and some softer terrain. We knew we probably wouldn't be able to summit since we weren't equipped for blankets of snow. The snow was slippery. We made it about 2.5 miles & had to turn around.