Mount Shavano is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maysville, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mt. Shavano was a tough climb. My son and I completed the hike in about 6 hours. The weather was perfect and the views spectacular. I did get a little altitude sickness, but overall had a great hike.

There is snow along the way, but managed to summit without snow shoes. We had so much fun!

Nice hike with a pretty unrelenting uphill climb. About 4,600 ft of gain in the 4.5mi to the summit.

Slept in my car at the TH the night before. Many cars were doing the same thing, but there were plenty of spaces along the road to pull off and set up a tent. Parking lot was getting full by 6am.

What a beautiful hike! I went up on July 18, leaving the parking lot at about 9:15 and was at the summit by 1:05. Fortunately there were no storm clouds. The hike itself is pretty rough and I'm not sure I'd agree with the Alltrails designation of "Moderate." If you make it to the summit, make sure to watch for marmots, which perch on the rocks and watch you.

Also, you have to go about 5 miles on a dirt road to get to the parking lot. A 4WD would be helpful but I did it in a rental car.

Non-technical and fabulous views from the top, but relentless in the uphill (and then downhill, on the knees). Have enjoyed other 14’ers more that were longer hikes but more gradual climbs and descents. Our devices all said we’d done about 11.5 miles by end, not the 8.something that AllTrails says. One highlight was having a large group of Bighorn Sheep cross our path.

We were at the trailhead by 7:30am and reached the summit at noon on the dot. Like most 14ers, it’s a long and tough hike, but it’s not technical so if you’re in decent hiking shape, you should be good to go. We had a big group and started a little too late for some to reach the top since afternoon storms were rolling in by noon - so start early. If you’re with a group, this trail is nice because it’s open (once you pass tree line of course) so you can look back or forward and check on your group members from most parts of the hike. The switchbacks up to the saddle are arguably the hardest part. The scramble up to the summit is tough, but not as long as the switchbacks and you can taste victory by then so it’s mentally easier to ascend. As one of my fellow hikers put it, “You can see the whole world from the top.” Definitely worth the effort.

Great 14er to start the season, went yesterday 6.24.18 and it was extremely windy near the peak. Watch your footing as gusts of wind easily knocked people unbalanced. overall, steep the entire way so take your time and bring layers. started with a fleece, down to short sleeves then back to a hat and gloves near the peak, to scorching hot back at the trail head. Great views and good people on the trail. Enjoy!

Hiked this beauty two weeks ago for my first 14er! Definitely a workout but so worth the views! Really no snow on the trail, just take it slowly on the dirt road to the trail head!

Happy hiking!!

Difficult and totally worth it.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

It was a good hike for me. Lots of people on the trail near the summit, but it wasn't an issue. It's nice trails and no scree at the top. Watch out for those afternoon storms!

recorded MT shavano