Mount Sanitas via Goat Trail

Mount Sanitas via Goat Trail is a 2.3 mile out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips.

We intended to take the Goat Trail to East Ridge route up to Mount Sanitas but accidentally took a left turn at the top of Goat Trail. So we took Sanitas Valley, turned right to hike up Mount Sanitas, hiked down East Ridge, and back down Goat Trail. Beautiful views, a bit rockier than expected, and a great workout.

The most memorable moment occurred on Goat Trail about 5 minutes before we reached our car. Due to the rockiness, my gaze had been focused toward the ground as I took each step. Thankfully, I stopped to take a break, looked up, and saw a huge, majestic buck with beautiful, enormous antlers facing us about two car lengths down the trail. To say I couldn’t believe what I was seeing is an understatement. I’m 5’1”, so his presence seemed even more impressive to me. Being relatively new to hiking, I wasn’t sure what to do, so we backed away slowly and stepped off the trail next to a boulder. I thought maybe he’d turn around, continue right past us on the trail, or run off. Instead, he walked toward us, stepped off the path exactly where we had, passed right by us on the other side of the boulder, hopped to the side of the hill opposite of us, and started climbing. Amazing!

Great hike to bring kids on!

Wednesday, March 02, 2016