Mount Sanitas Peak Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(545)
Boulder Open Space

Mount Sanitas Peak Trail is a 2.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,253 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This in-out hike is a portion of the more popular Mt. Sanitas & Sanitas Valley Loop. It is the more rugged and quicker route to the summit. Highlights include rock scrambling (if desired), a steady ascent, projected outcrops, and a "desert-like" baked earth terrain. When the parking lot is full, designated roadside parking is allowed.

This was a great hike! Came today around 1030 & it took us about two hours with our 1yo husky who hasn’t hiked with us before. Definitely doable for 20 something year olds and our pup! We had a 3L camelback and shared the water with our dog, it was plenty. Trail wasn’t too hard but you still feel accomplished at the top. Plenty of view points along the way but I recommend bringing a clif bar and chilling out at the top for a bit. Not super crowded going up but definitely more people coming up on our way down around 1130-12. Everyone was courteous and nice though!

Fairly crowded at outlooks and the peak between 12-2pm. You’ll spend the majority of the hike baking in the sun, but there are small spots of shade throughout. Scrambles are a fun challenge both up & down the trail!

Came here on a Tuesday with my dog. Not too crowded, but definitely passed other people. Almost all uphill, so definitely get ready to sweat. Bring a cap and wear sunscreen because there’s a lot of exposure. Take advantage of the spots of shade. Lots of great outlooks on the way up! I’d bring water and a bowl for your dog, as he’ll be thirsty!! Brace your knees on the way down - it can be a killer. All around a fun hike though!

Nature’s stair master! Heavy incline and lots of rocks. Beautiful views but a lot of people which I don’t exactly enjoy on hikes. My dog loved it but we did have to rest a few times so he could catch some shade and water.

This is such a good, quick, uphill local hike I like to do - I always appreciate the workout. Crowded at 10am on a Sat, with not many friendly people (not even a hi or wave back), 50% w.masks and some social distancing respect. 90% of dogs off leashed with some w.the ability to call back - we have to get it together or we will have our outdoors be very limited! The trail was dry and I went with only my running sneakers on.

Fun trail! definitely an uphill climb. Sweet views along the way. Very steep in parts.

icy

This is a beautiful hike and a great workout. We hiked 4/26/20, started at 6:15am. Dry trail, no mud, a few deer and quite a few early flowers popping up. We did a 3.2 mile loop - Mt. Sanitas Trail to the East Ridge Trail to Sanitas Valley Trail. Lots of people, so not the best for social distancing. If you have bad knees or tend to have cranky meltdowns on harder trails, this might not be the hike for you. (Saying for a friend.) Lots of dog poop bags on the trail. Love that.

I hate this trail. Out of all the Colorado trails I've done, this is my least favorite. One, it is hard. Not hiking up hill, but basically climbing uphill. Getting back down was almost worse.

Hiked 4-19-20 . Not the trail to go if you are trying to Socially Distance yourself. The trail is still very heavily trafficked, Decently muddy, & micro spikes were very helpful on the way down.

All uphill, mix of wooden steps and rocks. Very muddy right now. Beautiful views at top. Trailhead gets crowded so a lot of people park along the street.

Great experience! Muddy and slippery due to the recent snow fall, though!

For the beginning of March I would have expected more mud and snow, but I was pleased to find the trail conditions were fine! This is likely due to how little shade there is on the trail; a trait that worked in my favor on a warm early spring afternoon, but would probably not be ideal in the summer. Beautiful view from the top, and great back-mountain views on the way up! Sufficient parking along the street on the way to the lot. Will definitely be back.

Decently populated foggy enjoyable hike

Cool trail . Parking crowded . No spikes .

A bit slick on Sanitas this am. Fog made the rocks a bit slick - overall - same steps as always - and a few new built in! Looking good!