Mount Sanitas and Sanitas Valley Loop Trail

MODERATE 1,056 reviews

Mount Sanitas and Sanitas Valley Loop Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Broadway: Traveling north passed the University turn left on to Mapleton Avenue. The trailhead lies approximately seven blocks west of Broadway. While parts of this hike are dog friendly, dogs are not allowed on Lions lair section of the trail.

This was a nice trail, super icy today! It’s definitely a workout climbing up and around all the rocks but worth the view from the top. My dog had a great time running around too!

I ran Mt Sanitas today. There was minimal ice and even where there was ice, there was enough trail to go around. The sun was welcome as it warmed the body coming back down. It was a bit windy today, but not too bad.

Busy on the weekends but it’s a good hike. Not really any spots where dogs can’t make it. Be careful of ice along the East Ridge Trail though.

A good workout, and great for bringing the dog!

Excellent hike with our dog. We took a lot of breaks and we finished in 2.5 hours. Lots of people, but all friendly and respectful. There’s a small patch of ice near the halfway point on the valley side of the trail. We saw a lot of people fall and one woman broke her elbow so BE CAREFUL at this section! Other than that, a wonderful afternoon hike.

The view was absolutely beautiful! For others it may be meh, but this was my first hike. It got pretty steep and rocky towards the top. I had to stop plenty of times because I didn't bring my inhaler. Definitely worth it! I went in November!

Patches of ice on the east ridge close to the summit. I was in running shoes and didn't have a problem crossing.

great 50 degree day in boulder! no ice on the way up. slightly icy on the loop down, due to lack of sun.

Fantastic hike. Great views. Pretty icy on eastern part of the hike. Definitely recommend spikes or some sort of traction device.

Icy in some spots but I was able to have my dog on leash for a good portion. A good workout for a moderate hiker.

Hiked up the Mount Sanitas trail then down the East Ridge, returning via Dakota Ridge. Reason was threatening and it was a bit windy but this made the views even better. The only difficult section was the step decent near the peek because of ice but the rest of the trails were clear.

Good short easy-moderate hike. The beginning is steep but it gets super easy later. Good hike when short in time.

Great trail, beautiful views, perfect for winter hiking! There was a bit of ice in a few places, but nothing needing yak tracks. I went up and came down the same way, the Mt Sanitas trail was pretty clear, but a fellow hiker said that the Sanitas Valley portion was icy.

Will do this again! It was cold but loved it! I am glad I had traction .. pretty icy

I loved this trail, though parts were definitely more difficult than moderate (I say this is a somewhat novice hiker though). We started with the Sanitas Valley trail for about 1.1 mi, then took the East Ridge trail to get to the top of Mt. Sanitas (about 1.0 mi). That was more difficult- fairly steep and some scrambling on rocks. We then took the Mt. Sanitas trail down the mountain (1.2 mi). The views were gorgeous - of Boulder and beyond going up, then of neighboring mountains and further white peaks going down. Many people chose to go up using the Mt. Sanitas trail, which I wouldn’t recommend because of the steepness of the East Ridge trail going down (it was hard enough going up!). I was glad I had my yaktrax because it was muddy and/or icy in many spots, despite the fact that it was 50-60 degrees. All in all, it was a busy trail but not obnoxiously so - and we passed fewer people going up the Sanitas Valley and East Ridge trail than the Mt. Sanitas trail. The trails are well marked - I’d love to come back in the spring/summer.

Busy trail but nice views. Took the trail clockwise to top. Trail is steep with a lot of rocks. My phone said it was the equivalent of climbing 88 flights of stairs.

Completed this trail today. Microspikes would've been nice, but was do-able without them. Easy to follow trail, snow was pretty minimal, overall a pretty good hike, would do it again!

My first time doing this trail today. Plenty of mud, snow and ice. I was glad I had my ice cleats with me.

It’s a really good hike but there are a lot of people