Mount Sanitas and Sanitas Valley Loop Trail

MODERATE 1,141 reviews

Mount Sanitas and Sanitas Valley Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Broadway: Traveling north passed the University turn left on to Mapleton Avenue. The trailhead lies approximately seven blocks west of Broadway. While parts of this hike are dog friendly, dogs are not allowed on Lions lair section of the trail.

Wonderful workout! Definitely a steep trek

Yaaaaahhhh! Gorgeous day, friendly people on the trail. Steep at times, short and fun.

Wonderful hike with my girls, ages 11 & 13.

The wildflowers are beautiful right now. I would consider Mount Sanitas trail difficult though.

This is rated moderate, but it’s that if you are a seasoned hiker. Steep steps up and down,very rocky. Awesome views! Good trailhead parking.

Love the views of Boulder on the climb up. Rapid elevation climb. Plenty of people on the path but not crowded. Was a bit muddy and still bits of snow at the top April 1.

Awesome hike with a beautiful view at the top! We took Sunshine Trail to Lion’s Liar, then the Mt. Sanitas trail down. Weather was perfect. We were worried about the ice and slush reports, but the trail was perfect. Age ranges in our group were ages 5 to 43 and we did 5.5 miles in just over 3 hours at a steady but easy pace.

I love this hike!

Tough hike due to the quick elevation gain- probably deserves a bit higher than a moderate ranking. Beautiful trail though!

Great trail. A little muddy when we went. Took the west leg first and it was quite the workout. Lots of stone stepping.

Great trail. Very busy. If you are bringing a dog you should know that it is sketchy in certain sections.

My husband and I hiked this trail today. We took Sunshine Trail that linked to the Lions Lair Trail. I am SO glad we started this way.
The hike down from Mount Sanitas should be rated as HARD. Knee high boulders all the way down. If you want to stay on a moderate trail, turn around at the top and go back down to Sunshine Trail. I was sure glad I had my trekking poles to assist my knees with all those rocks!

Go West way up - beautiful and aerobic - great weather in am today

It is a good hike with views along the entire trail. There are many rock formations along the trail where people stop to boulder. It is pretty steep on the way up, but was more gradual on the back side of the mountain. The peak was fairly crowded, even on a Wednesday. Overall I enjoyed the hike.

Not so much moderate. More hard. Approaching the loop and heading to the right you have a slight grade for a mile which is deceiving. Boulders ahead! Pretty challenging for me and my Cattle Dog.

Very popular, mostly college kids and we were the oldest at 64 yrs. However I would not say it was moderate at all, but hard! High stepping up log”stair master “ and mostly knee high boulder climbing. Pretty views and really nice at the summit. Two hrs up and one to get down for us. Big wind gusts and temp drop coming down, but sunny. Ran into two rangers who said this should be labeled hard. Many dogs, so that’s always a plus! My dog loved it and worn out today! So if you are older with compromised knees, it will kick your butt. But we were proud to finish! Didn’t go down the other side as heard it’s still icy/ loose gravel in that side.

We only did a portion of the hike. The wind picked up and it got to be a little much. I would definitely go during the week. Parking was full in the lot and we had to park quite a ways down the street so that is the only reason for 4 vs 5 stars! I will be back to do the whole loop!

Very crowded on the trail but I went on a clear day. Be careful going down the mountain as there was still plenty of snow and ice. I managed just fine without spikes but it would have made it a lot easier with them. All in all, absolutely amazing hike with a view that makes walking straight up for 2 miles feel rewarding.

This was a nice trail, super icy today! It’s definitely a workout climbing up and around all the rocks but worth the view from the top. My dog had a great time running around too!

I ran Mt Sanitas today. There was minimal ice and even where there was ice, there was enough trail to go around. The sun was welcome as it warmed the body coming back down. It was a bit windy today, but not too bad.

Busy on the weekends but it’s a good hike. Not really any spots where dogs can’t make it. Be careful of ice along the East Ridge Trail though.

A good workout, and great for bringing the dog!

Excellent hike with our dog. We took a lot of breaks and we finished in 2.5 hours. Lots of people, but all friendly and respectful. There’s a small patch of ice near the halfway point on the valley side of the trail. We saw a lot of people fall and one woman broke her elbow so BE CAREFUL at this section! Other than that, a wonderful afternoon hike.

The view was absolutely beautiful! For others it may be meh, but this was my first hike. It got pretty steep and rocky towards the top. I had to stop plenty of times because I didn't bring my inhaler. Definitely worth it! I went in November!

Patches of ice on the east ridge close to the summit. I was in running shoes and didn't have a problem crossing.

great 50 degree day in boulder! no ice on the way up. slightly icy on the loop down, due to lack of sun.

Fantastic hike. Great views. Pretty icy on eastern part of the hike. Definitely recommend spikes or some sort of traction device.

Icy in some spots but I was able to have my dog on leash for a good portion. A good workout for a moderate hiker.

Hiked up the Mount Sanitas trail then down the East Ridge, returning via Dakota Ridge. Reason was threatening and it was a bit windy but this made the views even better. The only difficult section was the step decent near the peek because of ice but the rest of the trails were clear.

Good short easy-moderate hike. The beginning is steep but it gets super easy later. Good hike when short in time.