Mount Sanitas and Sanitas Valley Loop Trail

MODERATE 1,212 reviews

Mount Sanitas and Sanitas Valley Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Boulder, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Broadway: Traveling north passed the University turn left on to Mapleton Avenue. The trailhead lies approximately seven blocks west of Broadway. While parts of this hike are dog friendly, dogs are not allowed on Lions lair section of the trail.

Loved the view on top and the wildflowers on the way up. Not too crowded. Good workout for sure.

Beautiful view of the city and great for trail running if you hike counter-clockwise!

It was steeper with more boulders than I anticipated. Good day. Good hike. A lot of people on the trail.

Hike up to Mount Sanitas first to get your heart rate elevated, then loop down through Sanitas Valley as a cool down. I hiked it while it was overcast and rainy, and I didn’t mind the rain at all, in fact it made the hike more fun. Some of the trail was muddy, but still easy to traverse.

The hike itself is remarkable. A nice incline and a good day challenge. Not the biggest fan of the city overlook at the peak, but the trails leading up make up for it.

Only giving one star because I wanted to let people know that it’s closed today 5/9/18 for parking lot work. I’m sure it’s a lovely trail just a heads up!

Excellent loop. 3 mike round trip - well maintained hike. Bring your dogs, water, and friends. Be careful of where to park as they hand tickets out like crazy. Hiking shoes or trail runners, you will fine. Steep, rocky, fun.

Great hike! Definitely moderate, great incline for a nice workout. I recommend taking the sanitas route first (go right at the starting junction). Gorgeous views the whole way, will definitely be back. No snow— perfect spring hiking conditions.

I like the hike, the view was good if you like looking at Boulder. Made me realize I dont want to hike to see a city :(

04-29-18. Had great weather late in the afternoon. Nice views of Boulder. This hike is a great workout ..

Great day hike. Bit steep going up to Mt. Sanitas, you will definitely get a workout in, but nothing too challenging.

Beautiful trail. Bit of a steep climb to the top of mount Sanitas, but the trail is really well maintained. Very dog friendly, highly trafficked.

Lucy my 4 month pup took it like a champ :)

Hiked on 4/25. Muddy and slippery in areas. We hiked up the peak trail first, which was very strenuous but a great work out. Amazing views of the Rockies when you get close to the top. Then took the East Ridge trail to connect to the valley trail. That route was definitely more than 3.2 miles. Didn’t clock it but i would guess closer to 5-6 miles. But amazing hike and leg workout!

I love how close to Boulder it is! Great views and a good workout

Very steep and a bit slippery on the way down. Very busy but it was Earth Day afterall! Good views!

Wonderful workout! Definitely a steep trek

Yaaaaahhhh! Gorgeous day, friendly people on the trail. Steep at times, short and fun.

Wonderful hike with my girls, ages 11 & 13.

The wildflowers are beautiful right now. I would consider Mount Sanitas trail difficult though.

This is rated moderate, but it’s that if you are a seasoned hiker. Steep steps up and down,very rocky. Awesome views! Good trailhead parking.

Love the views of Boulder on the climb up. Rapid elevation climb. Plenty of people on the path but not crowded. Was a bit muddy and still bits of snow at the top April 1.

Awesome hike with a beautiful view at the top! We took Sunshine Trail to Lion’s Liar, then the Mt. Sanitas trail down. Weather was perfect. We were worried about the ice and slush reports, but the trail was perfect. Age ranges in our group were ages 5 to 43 and we did 5.5 miles in just over 3 hours at a steady but easy pace.

I love this hike!

Tough hike due to the quick elevation gain- probably deserves a bit higher than a moderate ranking. Beautiful trail though!

Great trail. A little muddy when we went. Took the west leg first and it was quite the workout. Lots of stone stepping.

Great trail. Very busy. If you are bringing a dog you should know that it is sketchy in certain sections.

My husband and I hiked this trail today. We took Sunshine Trail that linked to the Lions Lair Trail. I am SO glad we started this way.
The hike down from Mount Sanitas should be rated as HARD. Knee high boulders all the way down. If you want to stay on a moderate trail, turn around at the top and go back down to Sunshine Trail. I was sure glad I had my trekking poles to assist my knees with all those rocks!

Go West way up - beautiful and aerobic - great weather in am today

It is a good hike with views along the entire trail. There are many rock formations along the trail where people stop to boulder. It is pretty steep on the way up, but was more gradual on the back side of the mountain. The peak was fairly crowded, even on a Wednesday. Overall I enjoyed the hike.