Mount Rosa Trail

Mount Rosa Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Green Settlement, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Following the Steps of the Pioneers (almost): Zebulon Pike & Rose Kingsley The red route line for this trail represents the hike. However, the drive to the trailhead is as important to your enjoyment of the adventure as the hike itself. So plan for a drive time of at least and hour from the time you exit I-25 (see directions below). I'd recommend even longer, especially if this is your first time using Old Stage & Gold Camp Roads. The opportunities for dramatic photographs abound. The goal for this hike is the summit of Mt Rosa at 11, 533 ft (according to my GPS). From eastern Colorado Springs, you can spot its unique "witch's hat" profile by looking at Pike's Peak, then turning your eyes south past Almagre Mtn. During his attempt to climb what is now called Pike's Peak in November 1806, Lt Zebulon Pike's unit was ambushed by the weather. He spent one night in a cave on the southeastern ridge of Mt Rosa. The next day he reached the summit, climbing through waist deep snow, only to realize that his goal was still eight miles away, farther north. You will be climbing by a different route, beginning in a wide valley west of Mt Rosa (Frosty Park) and finishing by ascending the northern ridge to the summit. The mountain you're about to climb was named for Rose Kingsley, an aristocratic young English woman who arrived in Colorado Springs in 1871, and, incidentally, started its first library. She was an avid hiker, and soon earned the nickname Rosa del Mont, or Rose of the Mount. Ms Kingsley was the first woman to climb this mountain.

Great hike. Hardest part is the 1.5 mile drive to the trail head off the main road. Make sure you have 4WD.

Amazing hike. From intersection of Penrose Blvd/Old Stage Road, distance to FS Rd 379 turnoff was 12.6 miles. The parking area is on your Left. If you chose to drive to the Frosty Park to Mount Rosa trailhead, highly recommend high clearance vehicle. Approximately 1.5 miles to trail head...very easy to find due to all the trash scattered about from irresponsible litter-bugs. Trail to the summit was spectacular due to great views and ease of climb, approximately 2.1 miles each way. Take rain gear as storms come in fast. Enjoy!

This hike was amazing, but they weren’t kidding about the final road to the trailhead. We hiked the final portion because we didn’t want to risk it with our Honda Pilot. The road was easy walking and was 1.8 miles long. It was hard to pass all the damage done to the area by people who come out to target practice and leave their garbage everywhere... After that the hike to the peak was 2.2 miles so our total day was 8 miles. Good thing we packed extra. We were expecting 3.6 miles. We could’ve turned around whenever but really wanted to see the summit. It was well worth it. The last .7 miles were spectacular.

Mount Rosa is one of the most incredible hikes I have been on - not every mountain has a 360* view at the summit. Very lightly trafficked - we didn't see a single other person on the trail, and is a very manageable distance when starting from Frosty's Park (although we had to hike a mile or so to the trailhead). Only downside is that it's hard to get to if you're not starting at North Cheyenne Canyon Park - Old Stage isn't so bad but you shouldn't drive too far on FR 379 to get to the trailhead unless you have a high clearance vehicle. Once at Frosty's park, the trail is the one furthest to the right (622 I believe). A while in, you'll get to a split in the trail; we made the mistake of continuing instead of turning right, so make sure you do turn and continue to gain elevation.

Beautiful hike! I climbed from the canyon (via St Mary’s Falls) which was about a 14 mile hike RT. Bring lots of snacks and water if you’re planning to go this longer route.

Mt. Rosa is an excellent hike, panoramic 360 view well worth the climb. A high clearance, short wheelbase vehicle ( jeep ) is necessary to get to Frosty Park via 379. The climb is moderate in difficulty, trail easy to follow, rock cairns as you approach the summit, which would be very helpful if the trail was snow covered. The footing can be treacherous on the descent, lots of small rocks/dry sand. Overall, I would highly recommend this hike.

Amazing.Very nice view. Easy trail. Definitely recommend.

The trail itself was nice. It was a little confusing once you got to the top of the mountain as there was no signage and 3 different trails you could take. Stay right to reach the summit. The views were great. Pretty cool view of Pikes Peak.

Rating it a 3 because of the road to get in. I had a Jeep and still had some trouble so I'd recommend high clearance. And you could hear shot guns the whole time.

Really fun hike! Getting to the trailhead was the best part! It was like the best of both worlds. 4wheeling and hiking!

Loved this hike. Had my two dogs and they killed it! Definitely doing Rosa again!

Did this hike today. Very beautiful. Unless you want to hike in, adding an extra couple miles to the actual hike. You NEED high clearance.

My only complaint is the abundance of shotgun and bullet casings near the trailhead. The area is known for being an unofficial shooting range but the people who use it as such don’t clean up after themselves.

Did this today with great ease!! Drove my '05 Ford focus to the 379 trailhead via old stage road which took approximately 40min from the bottom of it. My odometer read 11.5mi when we reached the parking area on the left side of the road. The road is in good enough condition to take any reliable vehicle down which I recommend vs taking the longer route through gold camp road. Everything was smooth and easy to find. Highly recommend.

Must have high clearance vehicle to get to trail head, well worth the almost 45 min drive to reach the trail head. Hike is not bad and views are amazing!

Not a bad hike from Frosty's park! The views at the top were incredible!

Climbed My Rosa via St Mary's Falls trail, about 12 miles round trip but what a great hike

Beautiful hike, some difficult parts. If you're going to drive, don't take a car with low clearance.

Got the to top of Mt. Rosa via Seven Bridges trail and coming down via St. Mary's Fall. 15.3 miles round trip with 4383 elevation gain. Going up Seven Bridges is about a mile longer, but so worth it.

If you don't have a high clearance vehicle you won't get to the trailhead it lists without scraping. Trail was sweet but weather got nasty right when I reached the summit. Basically ran down the mountain to make it to my jeep just before the hail hit. Good trail. I would have hung out on top for awhile if the weather was nicer.

Loved this hike, but it requires at least double the time from the route I took, from N. Cheyenne Canyon trailhead. Really enjoyable up Buffalo Creek to FS Road, then it gets steeper up east/north flank of Rosa. Relatively easy to follow trail up to saddle area between north "summit" at 11,000 ft or so, and south summit at 11,499 ft. You get an easy walk to slope up south side for the final stretch. This last part is common with what's shown here in All Trails. Great views in all directions from summit. Be sure to find NGS marker. It's been a few years since I've done this one, second time was easier, I was in better hiking shape!

Monday, July 10, 2017

June 12 - We did Hike - we climbed waterfall on Saint Mary's falls trail way to top of Rosa- we took Back down of Nelson back down via Pipeline to 7 Bridges Trail. Fantastic views at peak. Moderate to Hard Hike .

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

This is a great hike. Very beautiful all around, easy at first, graduating to a solid moderate rating all the way to the top. I started the hike from the St. Mary's Falls trail. It was a great 1st hike for getting acclimated back to Colorado, before hitting any 14ers. At the intersection where National Forest meets US Forest you walk through an opening in the fence. Make sure you're following the trail that heads up hill, & NOT the road that crosses the path perpendicularly. Beautiful views from the top of the lake, pikes peak & CO Springs. Make sure you bring plenty of water- @ least 2 liters- during the summer time it gets HOT. I drank all 2 liters by the time I got back to the parking lot.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Snow was pretty deep at the top but a fun journey.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Absolutely beautiful!

Monday, June 05, 2017

Amazing 360 views!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Trail running

Sunday, February 05, 2017

awesome hike in your doing in the snow the tracks you fallow are not in the trail but still fun it was my first time snowshoeing as well so I didn't know how it was gonna go I also found out that going up on the ridge line is almost impossible I was with my old man and Letting him use the polls so he was fine but it was super steep towards the end super windy as well but AWSOME I an absolutely beautiful view that's hard not to look at while hiking it was a Saturday and we only saw 2 other people that were hiking together great hike definitely recommend

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Great hike with nice views at the top.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Really enjoyed this trail. I parked farther down the road, because it looked a bit hairy. As long as you have a vehicle with clearance you will be fine though. There are some spots where the rocks will slide a bit but push on through and you will be rewarded with a heck of a view.

Friday, November 04, 2016

This was a hell of a hike to the top of Mount Rosa and worth every minute. We started at the St. Mary's falls parking lot and it was not that hard to navigate. When you get to the top you are rewarded with great views of Pikes Peak and Cheyanne Mountain.

Thursday, November 03, 2016