Mount Rosa Trail

Mount Rosa Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Green Settlement, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Following the Steps of the Pioneers (almost): Zebulon Pike & Rose Kingsley The red route line for this trail represents the hike. However, the drive to the trailhead is as important to your enjoyment of the adventure as the hike itself. So plan for a drive time of at least and hour from the time you exit I-25 (see directions below). I'd recommend even longer, especially if this is your first time using Old Stage & Gold Camp Roads. The opportunities for dramatic photographs abound. The goal for this hike is the summit of Mt Rosa at 11, 533 ft (according to my GPS). From eastern Colorado Springs, you can spot its unique "witch's hat" profile by looking at Pike's Peak, then turning your eyes south past Almagre Mtn. During his attempt to climb what is now called Pike's Peak in November 1806, Lt Zebulon Pike's unit was ambushed by the weather. He spent one night in a cave on the southeastern ridge of Mt Rosa. The next day he reached the summit, climbing through waist deep snow, only to realize that his goal was still eight miles away, farther north. You will be climbing by a different route, beginning in a wide valley west of Mt Rosa (Frosty Park) and finishing by ascending the northern ridge to the summit. The mountain you're about to climb was named for Rose Kingsley, an aristocratic young English woman who arrived in Colorado Springs in 1871, and, incidentally, started its first library. She was an avid hiker, and soon earned the nickname Rosa del Mont, or Rose of the Mount. Ms Kingsley was the first woman to climb this mountain.

Loved this hike. Had my two dogs and they killed it! Definitely doing Rosa again!

Did this hike today. Very beautiful. Unless you want to hike in, adding an extra couple miles to the actual hike. You NEED high clearance.

My only complaint is the abundance of shotgun and bullet casings near the trailhead. The area is known for being an unofficial shooting range but the people who use it as such don’t clean up after themselves.

Did this today with great ease!! Drove my '05 Ford focus to the 379 trailhead via old stage road which took approximately 40min from the bottom of it. My odometer read 11.5mi when we reached the parking area on the left side of the road. The road is in good enough condition to take any reliable vehicle down which I recommend vs taking the longer route through gold camp road. Everything was smooth and easy to find. Highly recommend.

Must have high clearance vehicle to get to trail head, well worth the almost 45 min drive to reach the trail head. Hike is not bad and views are amazing!

Not a bad hike from Frosty's park! The views at the top were incredible!

Climbed My Rosa via St Mary's Falls trail, about 12 miles round trip but what a great hike

Beautiful hike, some difficult parts. If you're going to drive, don't take a car with low clearance.

Got the to top of Mt. Rosa via Seven Bridges trail and coming down via St. Mary's Fall. 15.3 miles round trip with 4383 elevation gain. Going up Seven Bridges is about a mile longer, but so worth it.

If you don't have a high clearance vehicle you won't get to the trailhead it lists without scraping. Trail was sweet but weather got nasty right when I reached the summit. Basically ran down the mountain to make it to my jeep just before the hail hit. Good trail. I would have hung out on top for awhile if the weather was nicer.

Loved this hike, but it requires at least double the time from the route I took, from N. Cheyenne Canyon trailhead. Really enjoyable up Buffalo Creek to FS Road, then it gets steeper up east/north flank of Rosa. Relatively easy to follow trail up to saddle area between north "summit" at 11,000 ft or so, and south summit at 11,499 ft. You get an easy walk to slope up south side for the final stretch. This last part is common with what's shown here in All Trails. Great views in all directions from summit. Be sure to find NGS marker. It's been a few years since I've done this one, second time was easier, I was in better hiking shape!

June 12 - We did Hike - we climbed waterfall on Saint Mary's falls trail way to top of Rosa- we took Back down of Nelson back down via Pipeline to 7 Bridges Trail. Fantastic views at peak. Moderate to Hard Hike .

This is a great hike. Very beautiful all around, easy at first, graduating to a solid moderate rating all the way to the top. I started the hike from the St. Mary's Falls trail. It was a great 1st hike for getting acclimated back to Colorado, before hitting any 14ers. At the intersection where National Forest meets US Forest you walk through an opening in the fence. Make sure you're following the trail that heads up hill, & NOT the road that crosses the path perpendicularly. Beautiful views from the top of the lake, pikes peak & CO Springs. Make sure you bring plenty of water- @ least 2 liters- during the summer time it gets HOT. I drank all 2 liters by the time I got back to the parking lot.

Snow was pretty deep at the top but a fun journey.

Absolutely beautiful!

Amazing 360 views!

Trail running

Sunday, February 05, 2017

awesome hike in your doing in the snow the tracks you fallow are not in the trail but still fun it was my first time snowshoeing as well so I didn't know how it was gonna go I also found out that going up on the ridge line is almost impossible I was with my old man and Letting him use the polls so he was fine but it was super steep towards the end super windy as well but AWSOME I an absolutely beautiful view that's hard not to look at while hiking it was a Saturday and we only saw 2 other people that were hiking together great hike definitely recommend

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Great hike with nice views at the top.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Really enjoyed this trail. I parked farther down the road, because it looked a bit hairy. As long as you have a vehicle with clearance you will be fine though. There are some spots where the rocks will slide a bit but push on through and you will be rewarded with a heck of a view.

Friday, November 04, 2016

This was a hell of a hike to the top of Mount Rosa and worth every minute. We started at the St. Mary's falls parking lot and it was not that hard to navigate. When you get to the top you are rewarded with great views of Pikes Peak and Cheyanne Mountain.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

A fun easy hike.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Hiked this with a companion today. We took the route that continues from St. Mary's falls for a total round trip of about 14 miles. Rather steep switchback trail after the falls with loose gravel in places, which was more noticeable on the descent.
Nice hike with plenty of shade and gorgeous views from the summit.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Beautiful at the summit!! Hiked from St Mary's Trail to 672 to the summit. Total of 15 miles. Only thing is trail to the summit from 672 is not marked well. There are cairns but Thank God I had AllTrails since I hiked it myself.

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Great little hike! It was shorter than I expected, but great views from the top. That opening in the fence to start the trail was tricky to find at first but once I found it, I was surprised I missed it. Got started a little later in the morning, 11AM because I got on the wrong Gold Camp road that did not lead to the other. On the way down there were multiple groups shooting which was kinda scary crossing that field again. Saw about 4 groups of people shooting as I walked down the forest service road. And the trail itself wasn't too busy for a Saturday except the Pikes Peak Ultra saw a few runners from that.
Overall awesome hike and fun drive up to it!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Very fun trail, it's rated moderate, probably accurate. lots of rocks in the trail. We took the directions from this app, as mentioned Forest Service road 379 only accessible with high clearance 4wd vehicles, we parked near the roads entrance and hiked up the road. I used endomondo so did the SO, and it registered about 9 miles round trip from the start of FS379. We did hike about a quarter mile past the trailhead on accident, it's not marked and easy to miss. You will hike past a trail making for 626, a little further up the road there will be an open field of to the right with a wire fence, there is a small opening in the fence we completely missed the opening at first. when you go through the opening you will hike across the field on a pair of tire tracks until you see two white posts with no remaining markings. Nearly all of the signs to this point have been destroyed by shotgun. once you get to the white posts turn right and follow the trail until you reach a post for trail 672, that goes up to the summit. was a wonderful hike, challenging for the kids 5, 8, and 11. only thing that was disappointing is the amount on litter and garbage all over FS road 379, I'm surprised people can be in such a beautiful national forest and have such little respect. also past a few former campsites completely littered with broken glass bottles. disappointing...

Saturday, April 02, 2016

I thought it was harder than the back side of pikes peak. Some of the trail was washed out but I didn't care.

Tuesday, November 03, 2015

Me and my buddy completed this summit today. We started at Helen hunt falls so it ended up being about a 12 mile hike there and back. Amazing panorama views of the springs and pikes peak. Be prepared though, the last stretch is about 6inch of snow right now. Little slippery coming down!!! You have to complete this summit if you can handle pretty much constant upward sloped trails with very slippery rocks

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

This is a great hike with awesome views of Pikes Peak (see my photos). Access: You FS379 requires 4WD with high clearance. If you park at the beginning of the road, you add 1.4 one way to the hike. Caution: You are in the National Forest and people SHOOT here and HUNT here. They don't always exercise good gun safety or respect the area (as evidenced by the bullet holes in the "No Shooting" signs. So, just be careful, especially if you are hiking during hunting season. This mountain has an interesting history: The abrupt stone point was named for Rose Kingsley, an aristocratic young English woman who lived briefly in Colorado Springs in its early years, and, incidentally, started its first library. She was an avid hiker, and soon earned the nickname Rosa del Mont, or Rose of the Mount.
Kingsley was the first woman to climb this mountain. Mount Rosa stands by itself and takes in unbeatable perspectives of Pikes Peak to the north and the Sangre de Cristo mountains to the south.
Later, this mountain is now thought to be the actual mountain climbed by Zebulon Pike in 1806 rather than the nearby Pikes Peak. He set out from the south trying to reach the tallest point in the southern Front Range, and it is believed that he mistakenly climbed and camped in a cave just on the east side of Mount Rosa beneath the summit. As he reached the top, he discovered that the tallest point, Pikes Peak, was actually miles away to the West and many more mountains stood in his way.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

This was a super fun trail. I did start late into it, but managed to get up and back before it got dark. There are a lot of switch backs that will test you. There was a lot of snow on the ground when I went so it was difficult to see the trail. Otherwise, an amazing trail. I'm definitely going up again soon.

Monday, September 01, 2014

Went the same route as Dennis Wilcox describes below ...switchbacks were brutal but only for my 70-yr old legs I suspect. Lots of wash out from heavy rains this year. One young lady jogger blew by me as if I was in reverse! Drank 3-liters of water! 12-hrs RT and 15-mi (we made a wrong turn but soon figured it out). We also parked at the lower falls parking as they were working on the upper parking lot.

Awesome trail and Mt Rosa's summit is a 360 degree panorama! Don't dally if rain or thunder it's the highest point for miles around and you may see fireworks or be part of them worse case!!