Mount Richthofen Summit Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Walden, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mt. Richthofen was not what I expected. The views were to die for and the mountain almost makes that a literal statement.

We climbed at the beginning of June so there was significant snowpack. I brought crampons which became an obvious necessity. The snow around the lake was sliding into the lake and boulders were rolling off the crags, so just crossing to the side with the mountain was perilous.

The mountain itself has no marked trails so after you cross the lake you're on your own. Though the mountain would've been impossible to climb without crampons, when we got over/around the snowpack the rocks and scree slipped everywhere. The angle made the rocks dangerous. You will slip the hole way up and down.

We followed up the draw to the saddle and took up the ridge. If you make it to the first peak the final peak is across a thin ridge of more scree and has a technical rock climb to the top.

Previous reviews are absolute shit. Go over-prepared for this because you won't be prepared enough.

Friday, October 03, 2014

I had attempted this the previous week but got rained out. I'm glad I attempted again. It was a perfect day and the views on the summit were incredible, overlooking Lake Agnes to the North and RMNP to the South. This is an off trail hike above Lake Agnes

Tuesday, July 05, 2016