Mount Princeton Trail

Mount Princeton Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

off road driving

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

off road driving

I don't know what people are talking about when they say this isn't a beautiful trail! It's a 14'er, rocks are going to be abound! I saw many marmots, pikas, chipmunks and crows circling up at the top. If your eyes are willing, there is beauty all around. Stop and listen for water running under the rocks. This was my first solo 14'er hike and it was wonderful. Trail wasn't always easy to follow but keep your eyes up and on the lookout for cairns. I will say I drove up to the cell towers with my Subaru Outback & was very afraid that I might not make it! But I did. And it was 100% worth it.

great hike. everything was really well marked. you can actually drive a little past the cell tower but parking gets sparse. try at your own risk. beautiful views!

Boulder fields most of the way. Not a pretty mountain at all. We got bored and turned around at 12,400. There are much prettier 14ers to do. Plus the road up is a monster.

Fantastic mountain. Trail was hard to find & follow. Somewhat technical.

Lots of rocks and scrambling but with the summit!

We started at the first parking lot and walked up the Mt Princeton Rd. It was a 4.25 mile walk up the road to get on the mountain.
Then it was a short but pretty hike across tundra before the boulder field which was very wide and really slowed us down. We turned back at 12,200 because we had already crossed 2 snow fields and there were 2 more to go and a steep scramble up to the ridge before we could summit.
Our energy and legs were sapped from the very long walk up a rocky keep road. The views were very beautiful on the way up though.
If you have a decent all wheel drive car you can make it up the dirt road to the towers and park there. It would save your legs for the climb up the mountain.

geocaching