Mount Princeton Trail

Mount Princeton Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

This is prob my least fav 14er. The road to the trailhead is really rough, the trail itself is super rocky with a lot of exposure in the end, the view is not that impressive. Weather wasn't good for us, it was raining at the summit but not thunderstorms (hard to tell the difference for a while)

off road driving

Lots of scrambling, make sure you have tight shoes/ boots.

Tough one for sure. Got to experience a "mountain girls" photo shoot right as we summited ...must be heaven. Tough, all rock, false summits...hard but worth the views. Bring poles, high boots, aspirin, rain jacket, water, & sunscreen. Got pushed down then mountain by lightning popping off like a 1000' off the ridge. Bluebird going up and clouds came off the ridge about 15 minutes as we started descending....that was just past noon. Park up high by the tower, otherwise you are adding some hard miles to your trip. Make sure you have a 6-pack on ice in your car when you get back.

Cheers!

Mt Princeton isn't much more than an enormous pile of rocks.. do not look for a path in the gully, just do you best to switchback up. be prepared for lots of rock hopping and scrambling up, glissading down.

Thursday, May 26, 2016

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Enjoyed this hike but have to warn everyone, it took us 8 hours round trip to complete this. If you don't have a high clearance vehicle it is hard to get close to the trail head. I feel like the time estimate needs to have some sort of disclosure to it. Still enjoyed the hike just thought I would share my experience so that someone else does not make the same mistake I did.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Sunday, August 02, 2015

This was my first 14er and holy hell it was difficult. I was close to summiting (300 yds left) and heard thunder so our group turned around. It was mentally and physically exhausting but I am glad I at least attempted it. I am a novice when it comes to tackling boulders so this was a bit challenging. The views were fantastic and I gained a huge sense of accomplishment from attempting this great mountain. Mother nature put me in my place! Glad I took ibuprofen before hand!! I tip my hat to everyone who attempts and summits Mt. Princeton.

Friday, July 31, 2015

Friday, July 17, 2015

Second 14er I did 6 years ago. Second time I climbed seemed harder than the first.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Great Summit! Did not enjoy the rocks. Start early.

Monday, July 06, 2015

The road up to the trailhead was extremely rough and you definitely need a 4WD vehicle to clear it. We went on a weekday and there was barely anyone there. It seemed like an eternity that we were on loose rock and it got very old very fast. We got there at about 6am and storm clouds came in at about 9am causing us to have to turn back right before summiting. The way back was even tougher due to the loose rock and the fact that we were exhausted. I wouldn't recommend this 14er to novices- go to bierstadt or quandary.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

I was not impressed hiked about 3 miles in and turned around. It may have gotten prettier farther up but I wasn't willing to take the chance. Did not like walking the road up to the Colorado mountain trail. I am a photographer hiker and never pulled out my camera. But with that said maybe I didn't go far enough in.

Thursday, May 21, 2015