Mount Princeton Trail

Mount Princeton Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Nathrop, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

off road driving

rock climbing

skiing

snowboarding

Summitted 7/29/17 and it quite literally rained the entire ascent! Quite a rocky, boulder-y trail which makes it seem longer than it is. Can't speak to the views as we were in a cloud at the top but I'm sure they are beautiful on a clear day. Next time I'll wait it out for better weather :)

The directions are bit confusing. When arriving by 4WD (SUV works too) to the TV towers, don't get distracted by the fact there are only 2 parking spots. You can continue onward and find some parking along the road that does not stop at TV towers (as one would assume from the instructions in National Geographic's guide). Continue of foot on 4WD road (but not all the way to the end (wooden cross). Watch for the spot where to turn from the 4WD road to the path (I missed it and made a huge detour). The trail itself is not well marked. And it disappears at 12,700 feet altitude (where switchbacks are supposed to start). You must scramble through the boulder fields occasionally crossing one of the multitude paths. The last bit - from the saddle to the top - you just press on straight ahead. Remember to bring gloves. It's fun and views from the top are sunning. At this time of the year the leaves are turning to yellow adding special touch to the scenery.

Hardest hike I have ever done. Made the mistake of beginning at the bottom by Frontier Ranch, added 9 miles (total up and down) to what would have been a seven mile round hike. would recommend driving up the really rough road with a high clearance vehicle so you can save your energy for the actual mountain. Trail is marked but somewhat hard to follow near the summit, look out for wooden markers and cairns. Lots of boulder scrambling, rocks, and loose gravel. The way down is a lot of sliding on small rocks and gravel, bring gloves to protect you hands while sliding down. Good views at the top, but also a ton of flies. I feel like I really accomplished something big summiting Mt. Princeton, but that hike took everything out of me and everyone in out group. Good luck and enjoy!

the lateral trail of rocks and the climb are definitely earns the 3 difficult rating. 3/4 of the hike are big and loose rocks. The trail is steep and sometimes hard to find. We lost track and just climbed up. But, this was hard and my favorite 14er by far.

off road driving

I don't know what people are talking about when they say this isn't a beautiful trail! It's a 14'er, rocks are going to be abound! I saw many marmots, pikas, chipmunks and crows circling up at the top. If your eyes are willing, there is beauty all around. Stop and listen for water running under the rocks. This was my first solo 14'er hike and it was wonderful. Trail wasn't always easy to follow but keep your eyes up and on the lookout for cairns. I will say I drove up to the cell towers with my Subaru Outback & was very afraid that I might not make it! But I did. And it was 100% worth it.

great hike. everything was really well marked. you can actually drive a little past the cell tower but parking gets sparse. try at your own risk. beautiful views!

Boulder fields most of the way. Not a pretty mountain at all. We got bored and turned around at 12,400. There are much prettier 14ers to do. Plus the road up is a monster.