Mount Oxford is a 17.7 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Granite, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 17.7 km Elevation Gain: 1,735 m Route Type: Loop

Streams, falls, views, and flowers. Beautiful hike. From the trailhead cross Clear Creek using a well constructed bridge. The trail then quickly heads up a steep slope using some nicely cut switchbacks. After breaking treeline and entering Missouri Gulch you will come to an intersection that is labeled with a sign. The sign will direct you to your left. The ridge of Belford will be directly ahead of you and this will be your path to the summit. This hike goes through an unbelievable number of switchbacks. However they are much better than the origninal trail that just went straight up. Take the switchbacks all the way up the ridge, pass a false summit until you see the orange colored rock protrusion that comprises the actual summit of Belford. From here you can see the rest of the route to Oxford. Follow the trail South from the summit then turn left on to the connecting ridge. This ridge is longer than it looks. Unfortunately your return trip must follow the trail back over Belford again.

Summer conditions. Beautiful day. No micro spikes needed

Got there at 645 to a packed parking lot, road up to trail was bumpy but no snow in sight. And holy switch backs Batman! Literally felt like the whole trail was steep switchbacks. Mostly summer conditions on trail, small patches of snow, didn’t need spikes/shoes. Summited both peaks, saddle was a little dodgy but relatively easy to do. Didn’t go the extra loop around, went down the way we came up and hiking poles were clutch for that.

Did Belford and Oxford today . It’s a beautiful hike but long . 12.5 miles if you take the lower valley loop on way down . Would recommend the lower valley loop on way down . It is nice change of scenery and Eliminates all the switchbacks on way up . Doing both peaks is a full day hike but worth it ! I would start early due to afternoon showers if you want to make both peaks . Trail is in good shape which helps with the distance . 6000 Feet of vertical is a lot in one day but allows for some good views . Hiking up Belford for 2nd time after Oxford is tough mentally. Take lots of water and snacks for full day hike

The views on this hike are just incredible - so many peaks, so much green, so much wow. We met at the trailhead on 7/28/19 at 5am and the lot and street filled up quickly with cars. There is a bathroom but only one toilet and the line got really long. The hike was very steep but I liked how there was a dirt path pretty much all the way and not as many rocks to pick through. No snow and just one water crossing which had some sturdy logs to use to walk across. I hear you could possibly also add Missouri to get 3 peaks in one day, but I’m not sure of the route or distance/elevation gain. Definitely some of my favorite 14ers!

User beware! The route shown in the above image is 12.5 miles NOT 11. Its 11 miles if you retrace your route from Oxford. That said, it’s very beautiful. Currently lots of wild flowers blooming and still some snow fields to cross on the (longer route) way down.

Great hike! As everyone says, the backside is the hardest. Lots of stream crossings at the end.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have done 6000' vertical in one day. This was quite the workout, but a petfect day. Belford at 8:30 and Oxford at 9:30. After a start at 0 dark o-clock.

Great trail! The Missouri Gulch is scenic and the collegiate peaks are spectacular. The trail is very steep though. I started at 6 and didn’t finish until 3:30. There is still a little snow on some parts, but it’s all either avoidable or packed down. I wore regular hiking shoes and faired just fine. About a mile and a half in there is some avalanche damage, but the trail is clear. The worst part of the hike is coming back up the ridge from Oxford. It’s plenty steep and there is lots of loose dirt to slip on.

The trial is in excellent condition, easy to follow, beautiful wild flowers everywhere and snow free (on the trial). The gain in elevation is great compared to other 14ers and adding Oxford made it even more of a challenge but well worth it.

Yesterday started off slow as I woke up in my car at 730 am after a record number of “snooze hits”. I hit the trail shortly after and was able to summit both Belford and Oxford. This was my second attempt at Oxford, had to bail last year due to weather. Yesterday was my 30th new summit, and the hike kicked my ass. However, if you are looking for an early season hike (early for a big snow year ey), these peaks are a great choice. The trail seems to lie in a unique area that is wind blown so not a lot of snow coverage compared to the intimidating amount nearby. No serious exposure, gaiters were nice to have, but I’ve post holed way harder. Traction unnecessary. Once you see the avalanche path, head straight up and follow your feet. Missouri Gulch is a beauty!

Sun May 26 2019

I summitted Mt. Belford today but was unable to safely get over to Mt. Oxford. Over all, it was beautiful, and while I couldn't see the trail for the most part (snow), I could tell that it is a little worse for the wear. If you are going any time soon, expect lots of time on powdery snow and loose scree.

Sat Sep 29 2018

One of my favorites. The views are amazing. The aspens are beautiful. While the hike just goes up and up, there’s enough variety in the terrain that it doesn’t feel grueling.

Tue Sep 11 2018

This is a great combo of two 14ers to hit. You can make it a really nice overnight trip by hiking in to one of the campsite areas just before the split off. The second of the two is nicest and is located right next to a stream for easy access to water. The leg to get from the summit of Belford to Oxford takes 45-60 minutes each way.

Mon Aug 27 2018

On my way up Mount Belford I was not convinced I would take the second leg of this hike onto Mt Oxford for my 2nd 14er of the day! From the summit of Mount Belford, though, the beautiful saddle leading to Mt Oxford was too inviting to pass up! Not only that, at age 58 I was fairly certain I would not make it back up Mt Belford anytime soon and wanted to take advantage of being 1 hour more from the Oxford summit. The views from the saddle were gorgeous-making the steep descent more than worth it. Although the opposite side of the saddle was not as steep, with aching legs from the ascent of Mount Belford-I was weary and could feel the fatigue setting in. It took me a little more than one hour to get to the Summit but it was a great feeling to arrive. After quick picture of the geological plate and a bite to eat, I headed back. Gratefully, the accent up the saddle toward the Belford summit was short but was the most brutal part of my all-day hike-with a narrow path, steep incline, and at places, sketchy footholds. With patience and great care-no problem, though. As I returned via the Missouri Gulch trail, I was grateful not to descend the way I came up on the Mt Belford front. Altogether, 11.2 miles and nearly 10 hours to accent and return to the trailhead. The Missouri Gulch trail brought many varied views not seen on the way up Guilford. It was a delightful return with mountain foliage, a spectacular views of the surrounding mountains. The winding Clear Creek in the valley was beautiful as was the view of Mount Guilford and Oxford behind! A great day hiking in the Rocky Mountains!

Thu Aug 02 2018

Great Hike, good trails, lots and lots of switch backs. Once you summit Belford it is 1 mile over to Oxford. takes about 45min to an hour. Its down 700ft then up 700ft. The hike back is tough having to re-summit Belford but worth it.

Tue May 29 2018

hiked on 5/19 - no snow

Wed Jul 19 2017

Walked up the front side of Belford. Over to Oxford. Down into Elkhead pass trail and out. Great hike took our time. Well worth it.

Thu Jul 21 2016

An amazing trail with lots of diversity the entire way. We walked back on Elkhorn Pass for a different route back to the trailhead, it wasn't as steep as the Mount Belford trail we came up and had terrific views. Lovely hike with lots of camping spots below the tree-line.