Mount Morrison South Ridge Trail

Mount Morrison South Ridge Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Morrison, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,873 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Mount Morrison is one of the most prominent peaks of Denver's Front Range and the metro area. It is located right behind Red Rocks Amphitheater. The route is very simple just follow the path up to the left after the closed gate. however don't let the low elevation and simple access fool you this is not an easy hike. The 1st mile of the hike follow a power line up the ridge you will switch back a minor amount but for the most part you go straight up. The trail is very loose soil and will be slick. When wet this section of the trail turns into a mud slide (could be fun and painful at the same time). After the initial up section you will get a break followed by another short climb up more loose soil. The next half mile is easy walking with great views, this would be a good time to check the weather and make sure you have time for another hour of hiking. Once you get to the final ridge the hike turns into a class 2 maybe low class 3 scramble. You will need to use your hands to pull yourself up. You will soon be at the summit with great views of Denver and the Divide to the west.

man I underestimated this hike. it's a moderate scramble to the top, the wind knocked me down, it was strong today 10/20 short, difficult, thigh burner. amazing pictures

Challenging and rewarding trail. You’ll only enjoy a few switchbacks during the steep ascent. Some scrambling near the top. Views of Red Rocks Amphitheater, downtown Denver, and obviously surrounding geography on the clear day we went.

this trail is an ass kicker. the beginning and top section are the steep parts. completed with my 4yr old husky, had to lift her to about chest height on uneven ground at one point in the top climbing section. view from the top is perhaps best in the front range.

An enjoyable but challenging hike with a scramble to the top. The view was well worth it though. Gets pretty hot in the middle of the day though with no shade. Got to the top in 1.5 hours.

Very steep in the beginning. Pretty views but kind of a boring hike. Good workout though!

awesome hike! plan for 3 hours, but you can do it faster. there's definitely scramble at the top and you'll need to do a little climbing. I took my 40lb dog all the way to the top, but there were 2-3 spots at the top where I had to lift her up/down the rocks because she couldn't make it.

What a great hike, very close to my home. Provides a nice moderate workout and incredible views!

Loved the trail, great incline on the trail. Great views encountered very few people on the trail. Went on a Monday in the morning about 9:30 couldn’t ask for more being that it was 15 minutes from my house .

The sunset views from this hike are great - but this time we had to turn back half a mile in. There was an extremely aggressive rattlesnake that just wouldn’t clear off the path. Be aware!

I hiked this for the first time on Wednesday, 8/7. It took me 2 hours and 40 minutes, mid afternoon. MapMyRun tells me I did 4 miles total, so I’m not sure if at the top I just walked farther than I was supposed to or if I zigzagged enough to add in a little extra bonus mileage. It definitely took me longer than I expected. I agree with all the reviews, it is a relentlessly steep one! Great workout. My legs were sore in a good way for a couple of days afterwards. I’m 37 and live in Denver. I hike about once a week, but lately it’s been a 6.5 mile loop on Green Mountain, and comparing would be an apples to oranges scenario. Beware, there was an angry rattlesnake right in the path in the first 1/2 mile when I hiked this. I luckily passed some hikers who warned me because they turned back. Still scared me! I’ll do it again for sure!

Super fun trail with a tough incline for the first half mile and again towards the top of the mountain. Great views and great workout!

Lovely hike that challenges you with amazing views as the payoff. Be careful, I encountered a rattle snake while running down it.

Hike this if you’re looking for a good workout. My dog did fine on this trail, even at the top scramble section. Beautiful sunset views and saw a lizard on the way up

Pretty easy class 2. Made it up and back in 80 minutes. There’s a lot of slip potential if you’re trail running, especially towards the beginning of the trailhead, but overall not so bad. Will definitely make this one of my regulars.

Toughest hike in the Denver area foothills I've done so far. I didn't even finish it. Did probably more than 90% of it but then my legs became for downhill use only. Of course, I was hiking midday in August with a 1.75-year-old on my back so I didn't set myself up for success. The uphill sections are steep and lengthy but you'll feel like Usain Bolt charging through the few flat parts. It ain't exactly the sounds of nature but it's pretty cool hearing the bands do their sound checks in the amphitheater below.