Mount Margaret Trail

Mount Margaret Trail is a 7.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Feather Lakes, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail through the forest. Easy with lots of shade. Nice and relaxing!

Nice meandering trail through the forest

There are a lot of wild flowers that are pretty. However, due to water diversion, there is no longer a lake nor will there be one any time soon. Anyone thinking that they will take off their boots at the "lake" and have lunch is going to be disappointed. There are some camp sites with a bench along the way to take a break, which is nice - they have BBQ pits there as well if you want to grill.

Very easy hike and the trail is easy to find. Saw a handful of people but for the most part we were alone. Would recommend to anyone of any skill level. Wildflowers were super pretty and the summit is a beautiful view! Wasn’t extremely fun but I enjoy more challenging hikes but still worth a hike at least once.

Beautiful area. Hardly any people- none using the campsites. Just fyi the old trail at the beginning has been decommissioned and thus sites 1 and 2 are really not in use anymore.
Wildflowers are really blooming right now! Smells amazing.
Stayed in site 6 next to a pond. Lots of frogs and mosquitoes but picturesque.

Great, easy backpacking trip! This trail offers so much variety for hiking, we were able to set up camp, and then hike 5 miles on different trails. Trail is sandy or dirt with rocks. Sometimes is wide, other times it's single track. I work trail runners for backpacking and sandals for hiking.

There is a river that runs near loop B, which isn't too far from campsites 3 or 4. Campsites 3 & 4 are the first (2) campsites shown on the trail head map - I wasn't able to find any other marked campsites during my hikes. Both 3 & 4 are located before the 2.5 mile mark on the right hand side of the trail. I wouldn't drink out of the pond located along the way to the top, as it's pretty stagnant.

As far as the summit goes, we didn't get to scramble up the rocks as there were other people hanging out up there, so I don't know what the top looks like, but when you reach the rocks, it's pretty underwhelming.

During our trip we saw 1 moose, and 2 deer. We heard coyotes at night along with owls and what we can only guess was a turkey vulture.

I would definitely come back here when I'm looking to "get away from it all", we saw maybe 25 people total.

Nice trail, nothing spectacular though. The best feature was that I saw only three groups during my 24 hours spent here. Camped near a small, drying out lake. Don’t plan on filling up your water at the pond/lake near the end of the trail, it’s stagnant, filthy, and surrounded by feces. Lots of cow or horse crap all over the place was a drawback.

Easy 7.2 Mile Hike. We seen quite a few people horseback riding.

Hiked on 4/15. This was such a pleasant hike. I was looking for something easy but with a lot of distance so I decided to check out Mt. Margaret. The entire trail system is relatively flat, very little elevation gain which was great for a rest day or if you're looking to take the family/visitors out without being extreme I would recommend this trail. No snow on the trail either. There are not any outstanding views until you get to the end of Mt Margaret and it opens up a little with some great views. The detour to Dowdy Lake is worth the extra mile or so. However if you are taking the trail labeled as "Dowdy Lane" on here it goes through private property and it is clearly marked. I turned around once I reached the private property and found another way to the lake, I didn't want any conflicts with land owners. There were a LOT of hunters in the area, might be a good idea to wear brighter colors. Nice trail though, I will hike it again in late spring to check out the difference.

Would rate it 3 but the view from Mount Margaret earns it a 4 in my estimation. Easy hike for the most part. Saw elk and mule deer on the way in to camp. Campsites are OK. Saw deer on our hike around the area on our way out.

good trail. great hike, and mountain biking

This would be an absolute pleasure to hike when the leaves begin to change color in the fall. It's a pretty simple trail... only reason I am not giving a five star rating was confusion reading the trail names... coming back down from the peak, I chose to use what was labeled the "Frog Pond" trail instead of the main thinking it was one of the alternates back down. I didn't check my trail guide since I recognized the name (ended up being that in and out off of loop B on the AllTrails map here) and ended up going through a barb wire fence to end up at a campsite 1.5 miles of the main trail. Shame on me for not paying close enough attention, but, the trail markers indicating I was on a mountain bike trail were not dissuading enough to force me to turn back until I reached the campsite... 8 mile hike into 11, but, at least it was beautiful on this balmy December day!

Was a very easy and pleasant trail, views were not anything special, but the leaves would have been gorgeous earlier in the fall. As mentioned in other posts it is in the middle of hunting territory, which made me a bit nervous. Would come back again and go to Dowdy Lake instead of the end of the trail, the "Mountain" is not necessarily worth seeing.

Pretty easy hike. Slight incline for majority of hike out.
Word of advice; wear safety orange during hunting season. This trail is in the middle of the national forest and gets a lot of pressure during hunting season.

Great hike! Started in the later afternoon. Reached the summit just in time for the sunset. Saw lots of wildlife. Very easy fun hike with extra trail options along the way. I would like to camp out here

Nice and easy hike. Very refreshing. Next time I would try the route to frog pond.

Great trail for toddlers. Our little 18 month old loved the narrow bridge just beyond all of the aspen trees. I

LOVE THIS TRAIL!! Went up on a Thursday and we only came across a handful of people the entire time. Hiked to East Dowdy Lake and hung out for a bit. Really beautiful spot, super easy trail, and totally worth the trip. There were a lot of ticks there though!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Suimmary of tips that we found helpful:
- take a picture of trailhead map
- hike Dowdy lake .. it is pretty.
- easy to miss designated campsites, look for metal fire rings
- enjoy the beautiful walk, stop at the pretty spots because the end is anti climatic or take the trail to the scenic point instead of end of Margaret's

Our own tips:
- find a campsite before the gates (about two miles in). We are going to try to wonder around after the creek but before the gates in search of suitable sites. The cow patties have taken over all designated sites
- We found the cows quite aggressive and not scared of our scary German Shepard. We could only surmise they had been fed by humans before because they would not leave our campsite even with our dog making it clear they were not welcome. They even followed us for a while when we left the site. Spooky! (Never thought I would say that about a cow)
- take plenty of water.. too much cattle run off to trust water sources.. even with filter IMHO
- enjoy the solitude.. for a Saturday night in prime back packing season we didn't see too many hikers and only one family at one of the designated sites
- if you can spare the weight.. a hammock would be great, as the ants and ground crawlers were plentiful . We didn't experience a lot of flying nuisances
- there is a bathroom but no trash at trailhead, so get rid of trash in town if needed
- plenty of wood and rocks and open space for a small fire, but be ready with plenty of dirt because there is a lot of dry stud just ready to be lit up... keep the fire small or not at all
- place something colorful on a tree and observe the humming birds.

Overall great place for kids and dogs. Very easy hiking.

Monday, July 10, 2017

This was an interesting trail.
The "summit" of the Mountain was ~150 feet LOWER than the trailhead. Also There was a lot of horse droppings all over the trail.

We also took an little detour and stopped and took a walk around Dowdy Lake. Which was REALLY pretty!!

The end of the trail lead us to a rock hill which we climbed and were able look down into a valley. This part was fun.

TLDR: Not bad, pretty flat, anticlimactic.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

We started from Dowdy campground and took Frog Pond to this trail. We saw a deer and fawn along the way.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

We began from Dowdy Lake Campground. Quiet easy hike. Beautiful wild flowers. At the "end of trail" sign we climbed on up boulders to get a pretty view of valleys. We saw no one and it was peaceful and serene without so much foot traffic!

Saturday, June 24, 2017

It's an easy, relaxing hike with tons of trails to explore in the area. I'd definitely recommend it for someone getting into hiking or just wanting an easy day.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Excellent, very easy hike with great views among the way and plenty of side trails to wander off of. The end is kind of anti-climactic, as previous reviews have mentioned. But, the walk in and out is so great that it doesn't damper the day at all. Great hike!

Monday, May 29, 2017

This is a beautiful trail with multiple stands of aspens and a small pond. However, the end is not what you would expect for hiking to the top of the mountain. Instead there's a clearing surrounded by trees, and you really can't see any view at all.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Extremely easy and beautiful trail, next time going for moderate!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The forest service has this trail as being 3.7 miles one way, maybe it's a different route than this, but either way this was a longer but easy hike. It was fun to see cattle roaming around the trail, and we were part of a roundup on the way back out which slowed up down a bit, but we still made it in about 3.5 hours at a fairly leisurely pace. The trail ends at a fairly uneventful spot at the base of the "mountain" - but we climbed some rocks to get up a bit higher on what I'm assuming was Mount Margaret to get a better view of the surrounding area.

I second what someone else said, definitely take a picture of the map on your way in, as this trail does cross with a handful of others. There are at least 2 campsites I saw on the way, they are pretty close to the main trail but with how little traffic there was it might not be so bad! Not wet or marshy at all when we went in August.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

7/27/16 I was looking for an easy trail to overnight camp and this was recommended to me by a fellow at Sierra Trading Post in Ft Collins. It was perfect for me. Hiked East Dowdy trail and Mt Margaret trail checking out the backcountry campsites. Settled on number 3 and had a wonderful night under the stars. Being mid-week, i saw no one else out there in the 6.5 mi i hiked.
Highly recommend this trail to flat-landers like myself.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Trail was a bit hard to follow at some points; definitely take a picture of the map at the trailhead, otherwise it's hard to know where you're going. Took the Mt. Margaret Trail to the Frog Pond loop and the East loop, which then connects back to the Mt. Margaret trail. The views of the lakes are gorgeous and totally worth the detour!