Mount Lindsey Trail is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gardner, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,602 feet Route Type: Out & Back

A lush alpine valley surrounded by cliffs, climbing to an exciting summit. From the trailhead follow the well marked trail as it leads South up the Valley. After hiking for 1.5 miles there will be a left turn to take where you will traverse beneath a large boulder field and then begin a steep ascent alongside a beautiful stream. The stream will disappear into a large moraine just after the trail crosses the steam. Shortly after this point you will reach an open valley floor with amazing views of Ellingwood Point and Blanca Peak. The trail will then veer slightly left (West) and head up to a saddle between Mount Lindsey and a prominent point named the Iron Nipple. Once you reach the ridge you will see the most difficult part of the route ahead. There are 2 approaches to choose from. Stay on the ridge, and do some short tough class 3 sections, or stay left of the ridge in a gulley that is easier, but has very loose rock. Both choices meet at the end of the steep section and follow the ridge the rest of the way to the summit.

Take the ridge not the scree gully. Solid rock.

Stunning hike. Unfortunately, the early birds did not catch the worm. When my partner and I made it to the ridgeline, we were met w/ heavy winds that blew both of us off our feet and he weighs 180 pounds!!! We’ll back sometime this month if weather permits. I hope the wind died down for all the hikers after us!

the hike and trial where nice. 3 starts because the app wasn't keeping track and couldn't get a GPS.

It was a difficult hike for someone with no experience, but enjoyable. Didn’t make it to the top due to time constraint. Met some really awesome people on the trial. Thank you to whomever found my boyfriend’s pocket flashlight. There was also a set of keys left at the trail head. Typical to AllTrails, the distance is underestimated so please be mindful. Our puppy did great on this hike and it was his first!

Very loose rock, but beautiful hike !

Very fun, but difficult. First 1.5 miles roughly is an easy flat hike, then it gets pretty steep for a while before the meadow above tree line. After that, it’s another semi-steep hike to the gully, where some easy class 3 moves are necessary. Watch out for serious rock fall and stay up to the right for more stable rock. Through there, a few smaller gullies and then the summit ridge. It took us 8 hours round trip, and might be closer to 9 miles than the 7.5-8 advertised.

Climbed via the NW Ridge as described on 14ers.com and in Roach’s guide. Solid Class 3. Perfect conditions, fun scramble, excellent views of Blanca, Ellingwood Point, Crestones, and cloud blanketed valleys below. Additionally, creek crossing very brisk pre-dawn (not much different later really. Going barefoot and using poles seemed best to me.

Very windy. Turned back at the ridge (13,160ft) and climbed the next day.

Summer conditions. Beautiful basin with lots of marmots! Took the NW gully up and back. Very loose terrain, but doable with assistance from more stable rocks on the sides. It is easy to accidentally kick rocks down the gully below. Tread carefully.

Beautiful and fun hike!! I was hiking yesterday (7/24) at Mount Lindsey and lost my keys somewhere between the basin and Huerfano/Lily Lake Trailhead. Please message me if you find them!

Incredible day with good and fun challenge. Definitely sketched out a couple of times, but very doable and the ridge is a blast! Gorgeous views all around. Slept in the basin the night before, which was one hell of a spot

Made it up to 12,000 feet. Trail is completely doable if you want to do it. Couple other hikers said the upper basin is covered and the gully is frozen over still, but manageable on the NW ridge. River isn’t too bad to cross either. We threw a large log up stream just a little ways form the trail and crossed. Trail is covered in snow for the most part once you start climbing but if you stay off trail near the ice melt, shouldn’t be a problem. Altitude got to us or we would’ve pushed on. Very beautiful hike and will be back.

This is less of a review and more of a trail condition update, because we didn't summit. We attempted this last Friday 6/21/2019. Trail was clear and not too hard to follow up to the boulder field. Past the boulder field it was snow, on average 2.5-3 feet deep. Early in the morning you could walk on the snow with crampons. Once the sun came up the smaller guys (weighing less than 150lbs) did ok, the rest of us sank through the crust making it slow going. The All Trails route was difficult to follow because of the snow. It wanted to take us up some very steep areas covered in snow. It may make more sense when everything has melted. We camped nearby and hit the trail at 5:30 am and made the saddle at 1-ish pm. That's when we decided to call it a day and head back given how late we were up there. We veered to the right of the All Trails GPX and took the smaller ridge line instead of the creek bed on the way up. We would have been a lot better off taking the creek bed. On the way back we did take the creek bed and it took no-time. The only issue was, before reaching the boulder field again, ice axes were required to stay on the steep slope to traverse the snow down to the boulder field and to get back on the trail again. That was sketchy at times and we had to arrest a couple falls. This is a beautiful hike and being on the saddle with all that snow below was stunning. If there is likely to be snow then definitely take crampons and ice axes. We didn't get to summit but we could see the route from the saddle and it looked like a pretty steep skree field. I hope to get back here again later in the summer to see what it looks like up close, and to summit.

Tue Sep 25 2018

not a hike - more intro to mountaineering to get to the top. still some cool views available before that final more technical ascent. if you are looking for a nice hike, go only up to the flat part before the saddle around 13 thousand feet, after that technical experience on 14ers and a helmet is highly recommended! however more beautiful and green then I expected with sand dunes near by.

Tue Sep 04 2018

Near death experience. I am an experienced climber and i lost visibility and dropped elevation only to end up in an extremely dangerous position. Had to take detour just to find safe way down in elevation. Ended up having to walk 13 miles all the way around tree line back to the cars

Sun Sep 02 2018

I don’t know if anybody else experienced this or used the navigation on this site for directions, but you have to go a good couple miles past where the directions say “you have arrived.”

Sun Aug 05 2018

Simply my most favorite 14er, I highly recommend this hike for people that are starting to move into class 3 14ers. So beautiful!

Wed Aug 01 2018

My first CO 14er!!! I went with a highly experienced guide. It was an amazing and humbling experience! Very challenging for a first 14er! It was a beautiful day!

Sat Jul 28 2018

VERY HARD. I have climbed other hard 14's and this one is a match. BEAUTIFUL and VARIED terrain and vistas all along the way. It's actually a very pleasant hike to the saddle between Lindsey and Iron Nipple. Then the work begins!!! To make the summit, the final approach is HARD and DANGEROUS no matter which route you take. The crux wall is serious business and the north face colour will just slide you down and down again---LOTS of very loose scree. A great hike-climb but it will wear you out for sure. See info on 14ers.com website for more. NOT FOR NEWBIES. PLEASE BE SAFE.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Terrible for me personally... From my experience, this should be done with at least one other responsible person who’s done a 14’er and not alone, and also not as first 14’er. Just my opinion from my own terrible near death experience.

Sun Jul 16 2017

I decided to make this first solo 14er and thought it would be an ideal mountain to try. It was challenging hike and climb with everything you could ask for out of a mountain climb.

Sat Jul 01 2017

Awesome hike. Some class 3 at the crux. Watch out for the false summit.