Mount Lincoln Trail

Mount Lincoln Trail is a 5.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fairplay, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,444 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Our first 14er, so why not do 3? Started around 9:45 - a little late as parking was crazy. Was heavily trafficked but the day was sunny and beautiful - but very windy. Too busy going up to Mount Democrat so we went right and did Mount Cameron, Mount Lincoln (my personal fave) and Mount Bross. Descent down Mount Bross was challenging as it was loose and we skidded a lot. Had my pole’s so I felt a little more secure than I might have if I didn’t have them. Loved the day.

private property

Great day hike! Able to complete all four/three 14ers in 5 hours. Beautiful weather! If you start early, it is in a bowl and is quite chilly until the sun peaks over Bross. Oh, remember to bring some cash as it is $3 per vehicle

Loved this summit. Great views of the entire Decalibron, Quandary, Grays and Torrys, and even saw Pikes peak in the distance. Came from Bross and had to cross a small patch of snow...no need for spikes. I loved this peak the best of the decalibron.

This hike should be listed as hard. I’m a beginner to moderate hiker, and was excited for the challenge, but this hike was much more challenging and colder than expected. My GPS may have been off, but it said I hiked 6.5 miles, and I stopped at Cameron. Multiple parts on the trail heading up to Cameron where a misstep or trip could send you down a rocky cliff. It was hard to find the trail a few times when the trail was exclusively rocks. Views are decent from the top, but we didn’t stay long because it was so cold and windy. Perhaps I was struggling with oxygen/altitude issues as well. This hike is for more experienced hikers.

Friday, June 29, 2018

My wife and I did this hike yesterday, 6,28,18. We did Democrat a few weeks back and wanted to do Lincoln from the trail posted below, but when we arrived at that location to scope it out a few weeks back, it was posted as private, no trespassing, and you'd be towed if you parked there!! So we went back to the Kite Lake trail head. The mileages on the map to the right don't agree with my Garmin though. Here's what I recorded. From the parking lot to the first saddle between Democrat and Cameron is 1.4. From there to Cameron is just under a mile. And from Cameron to Lincoln is just over a half mile for a total of 2.85 one way. Some steep stretches going up Cameron, and then the top is almost level. The trail goes right over the top so you summit this one whether you want to or not on your way to Lincoln. We opted not to do the Bross segment and just went back down the way we came. Most everyone was going back the Bross way though, and a few told us back at the parking lot what we had read about how steep and nasty the descent is on Bross. Steep enough the other way. For us anyway. Great views as you'd expect, and we had a really clear day with little to no wind thankfully. We encountered some gusts on the way down Cameron to the first saddle, but that was it. Popular trails, lots of people!! We took one of the last parking places when we arrived just after 7 on a Thursday. Most of the snow that was present when we were there 3 weeks ago was now melted too.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Did this yesterday and hit Lincoln, Cameron, and Bross!!! Hiked in from Crest Drive in Quartsville and made a loop. Was about 13 miles but amazing!!! Up to Mt. Lincoln from this way we saw nobody and there were only three cars in the lot! Not well know trail head but we found it! We didn't see anyone on the way down either!!! Amazing back road way to hit this popular 14er trail!

recorded Mount Lincoln Trail