Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Ida Trail is a 9.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Lake, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Distance: 9.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,388 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Great trail if you love a challenge. The hike itself was very hard but the view at the top made up for it. I would recommend at least a sweater or a jacket because it gets really windy once you pass the trees at the start. It’s very natural with a lot of animals including Elk, Marmots, Deer, and a Fox at the very beginning!

Easily one of my favorites in RMNP. Not recommended for flat landers. You’re out in the open completely exposed aftwr the first .75-1 mile through treeline. Prepare for wind!

This my first hike in the RMNP. The hike itself can be rated moderate for the ascent and distance. No shade or cover past the treeline and the wind sure is the biggest challenge. With winds of about 60-70mph and occassional fierce gushes, temperature below 10 or even lower made it very difficult. Views are beautiful all along the trail.

Believe what they say! This trail is incredibly windy—like playing to see how far you can lean into the wind before you fall over windy. We read the reviews and said as CO hikers we can handle some gustiness, but the sheer amount of time above tree line combined with the ferocity of the wind was very challenging. That being said—we loved this hike and have no regrets having done it. Not a lot of talking or stopping but it was stunning. The ascent isn’t even that hard. I’d rate as moderate other than length and wind whipped factor.

Enjoyed the leaves this morning and then decided on an afternoon hike and wanted to do Ida before TRR was closed for the season. This summit was a CHALLENGE today! The wind was relentless and brutal. Easily 40-50mph and quite literally had me laying on the ground to catch a break from it a few times lol shockingly I felt like the wind was actually gentler at the summit and I was able to get some great pictures and video. The view at the top is breathtaking and from what I was able to actually enjoy en route...it was beautiful too. It took me about 4hrs and 15mins round trip with picture and rest stops and some time spent at the top. I’m a pretty fast hiker when I’m solo and I was jogging on the way down to beat the sunset. I only ran into 4 other people too!

Awesome views in this hike and now is my favorite of RMNP. 6 hour round trip including stops. When getting near top crossing over boulders, we lost the trail/found the trail/lost the trail. Think there are several trails that goes to the top. On the way up, we encountered 35-40 mph winds majority of the hike. Dress warm for October..down at Grand Lake it was in the upper 60’s and cold on top of mountain with high winds. Also if you are from the coast like we are, be prepared for the high altitudes. One of us got sick and had to return before summiting. We were equipped with Boast Oxygen which help us get to lower altitudes. To those good people who helped my wife, I can not say thank you enough.

Six hours round trip, starting at 7:45am (including multiple rests on the way up and 45min snack break at the summit). Worth the hike on a nice October day, but dress warmly if hiking this late in the season. Temps in the 20s and winds about 70 mph towards the top. Nearly knocked me over many times. Saw some Pika at the summit. The views were amazing!

Hiked with a group on 9/24. Started 7:45 am. 7.25 hours on the trail including lunch at the summit and rest break on the return at "Marmot Rock" before timberline. 9.6 miles RT. Trail was well defined until boulder fields where it tends to disappear but just keep mountain and summit in view until rejoining trail. View from the summit is awesome looking at all the peaks and several small lakes below. A negative was the strong cold wind so be prepared with layers and a good hooded wind breaker and gloves. On descent there is more than one trail cris crossing through the boulders but work toward the trail in the distant view over the ridge to the right. Day was clear and sunny.

Beautiful, not too difficult, windy, and fun...

The best recommendation that I can give relates to the boulder field. Once you reach it, follow it as far as you can make it out and then hug the cliffs to the left. You'll get great views of the snowmass along the side of the mountain. Stay left and ride it up to the summit. Summit is really cool. The summit is the draw here. Also, dress warm and bring face protection...you'll thank yourself once you're done. Heavy winds.

We got a late, late start. Like 12:45p. BUT despite everyone (who started at 7am) coming down, and telling us how awful the wind & conditions were on top, we found it to be quite pleasant by the afternoon! You are ONLY in the trees for just over the first mile. After that you have no options, so do keep an eye on the sky. We had hail for the most brief period but I call it dippin dots. It was fine. We only saw one soul after mile 2, and the trail was super easy to follow and even at the top where it “disappeared,” it would always join back to a main trail. LOVED this one!!!!

Be careful - strong winds above tree line. Take 3 layers, glows, warm hat, glasses safe your eyes. Because of windy weather. If no clouds you are lucky- you would see nice views.

Super windy, and cloudy on summit. Very hard because of wind not trail

Unbelievable hike, don’t underestimate weather conditions. Windy is an understatement. Gloves beanie and jacket 100% needed

wonderful hike!!! moderate difficulty. was 10.2 miles total. Views from the top like a dream. It’s like a 14er without the pain.

As a casual hiker from the low elevations of New England I was concerned by this trail's high altitude and strenuous rating however I found it entirely manageable and an excellent one day sampling of the park. I would characterize the trail as a long gradual climb. There were no particularly steep or technical sections and I was okay with the thinner air as long as I didn't push the pace. Highly recommend this to other visitors.