Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Herman Trail

Mount Herman Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Monument, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Monument Colorado's Topological Highpoint Monument, CO, is about 10 miles north of Colorado Springs, straddling I-25 today as it straddled the Rio Grande Railroad when it was founded in 1872. As Pike's Peak dominates the skyline west of Colorado Springs, Mt Herman rises majestically from the plain on which Monument rests. For those who like their mountains accessible and their hikes manageable, even by out of town visitors, Mt Herman is the place to go. The trek described here is about 2 miles round trip, during which the hiker will gain and lose about 1000 feet in elevation. The top of the mountain, from which Pike's Peak is visible to the southwest and Kansas City to the east (on a very clear day!), is only about 9100 feet high; so there is enough oxygen to enjoy the time one spends contemplating whichever scene is most captivating.

trail was very snow covered. slow going but a great trail with beautiful views.

off road driving

Went out here today, it was a lot of fun.

Snow was approx 8-12 inches deep on much of the road making it quite a challenge. Several people needed pulled out after getting stuck

Views on this road are amazing, but I did not encounter anything that would make this anywhere near “moderate” without the snow.

Great trail, so long as you’re prepared. If you find a 4+ inch fixed blade Gerber knife along the scramble, his name is Brütus; please treat him kindly, sharpen him weekly

Love this trail........and do so does my dog!

Great Views on this one! It was very icy/slippery especialy on the decent, so bring appropriate gear if you plan on going in the winter months.

Got this one done this summer while I completed the Mount Herman and Raspberry Mountain Loop via Whilte Ghost Trail

This is an excellent, short trail that offers the opportunity to attain a peak that rewards the hiker with some gorgeous views. It's not the most exciting or the most challenging trail in the area, by any means, but its convenience, length, and difficulty level make it an ideal choice for a short escape or for a hike with newer hikers. I highly recommend being at the peak for the sunrise.

The drive up doesn't require 4WD, but high clearance is helpful. Decent shade and sweet views. As noted, the trail is steep and washed out due to lack of water bars, which can make the descent slippery in dry conditions.

The hike is very pretty with a great view at the top. However, the trail is a bit too steep without good water bars in place. This means there’s a lot of uneven ground from erosion, as the trail looks like a very steep stream bed.

We didn't quite make it to the peak - did some other hiking first and ran out of time. Mount Herman Rd was a bit difficult to navigate due to the recent heavy rains. A low profile vehicle will have trouble until the road is re-graded. We drove an Outback and managed, but went very slow due to the washed out areas and exposed rocks. Several rocks were difficult to avoid and might damage the underside of a low profile car.

Family friendly hike to the summit of My Herman. Kids loved it, beautiful views of pikes peak and monument. A little tricky at the top to stay on course, stay to your left to get to the summit and it’s bit steep on the decent. Overall a great family hiking day.

Great hike !! The temperature was perfect at 70 degrees -very few people. Not difficult great day!

Great hike that can be done in a short amount of time. The description of the hike above is accurate. Follow the directions on the yellow start dot on the map carefully. There are multiple branches in the trail at the 0.2 mile mark where the trail takes off up the mountain. The trail does not cross the creek but turns back south and heads up the mountain. Many points in the trail are simply wide areas where water runs during storms. Near the top, hikers have left cairns to guide your way to the top. There is a windsock at the top and a metal pole near the windsock. The ammo box is at the base of the metal pole. This trail becomes a stream when it rains!

Great hike with Pikes Peak and Palmer/Monument overlooks.

Great trail. It’s not long but there are parts that are challenging. The trail is also hard to follow at time. Well worth the hike to the top though.

This is a short and fun out & back with nice views as a reward. A couple of things to note. There a couple of challenging sections, the first is steep scree while the second is steep & rocky. And second thing to note, the trail begins to split & fracture near the top and it becomes easier to stray from the main path. All in all a good hike I've taken my small kids up a few times. If you're especially lucky you may find folks paragliding off the summit.

So... great trail. But we got lost. my fault. I'm new to this app and to Colorado, and i didn't read the instructions for the trailhead. We started at the Northern parking lot nearer Palmer lake, by the Yellow wind sock labeled "Mt. Herman." This trail went along the east side of the mountain, beautiful, well marked trail, but very steep. At about 1.8 miles up, we then turned South and got up to the Mt Herman peak that way. Coming back down the western slope, it is easy to tell why that is the more traditional route. It was much much easier and shorter. The whole thing took me and my three kids 16/9/9 years old 3 hours. We hitched a ride back down to where we parked with some friendly USAFA grads. Beautiful trail. Next time I will pay closer attention to the instructions. As I told my kids while we were lost, "Life is a Journey, not a Destination!!!"

We enjoy this hike! A great getaway from town, only a 20 minuet drive from the north side of Colorado Springs! Great views and plenty of wildlife.

It’s not a very hard trail but it‘s steep in some parts. Loved the views once we made it to the top.

Easy and light hike with a cool view of the city at the top!

I hiked this trail carrying my 30 pound toddler. I wouldn’t recommend this trail with a baby/toddler as a good portion of this trail is very steep. The view of pikes peak at the top is great though. Great work out.

Hiked this with my 8 and 6 year old and they did great! Don’t think I’ll be able to convince them to go again because they hated the drive up. Trail was difficult to follow, but we were lucky enough to see a few people along the way who pointed us in the right direction. Views from the top are amazing and my kiddos thought it was fun to sign the log book in the green ammo box. We were hoping to watch some paragliders take off but decided not to wait.

Great views for a short hike

Monday, March 12, 2018

great hike, a bit steep but short with great views. very little ice/snow.

Friday, March 09, 2018

Our family’s first hike after moving to the Colorado Springs area. Loved it. I carried our 1.5yo toddler on my back with minimal difficulty and for not being in great “high altitude” shape yet. 6yo daughter did great as well. Most difficult part of the hike is the loose gravel coming down, just gotta take your time. Beautiful/very windy view at the top. Look for the Visitor’s Log inside the green ammo box at the summit.

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Light snow in the shade but very hikeable in February. Combined with Raspberry for a nice two-fer.

Sunday, February 18, 2018

Quick hike, rewarding views!!!

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Excellent hike. Short but mostly uphill, so it ends up being a pretty good workout. Great for kids, too. My five yr old crushed it with only a couple of stops. Definitely easier than Eagle and Blodgett peaks, which are nearby.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018