Mount Herman Trail

Mount Herman Trail is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Monument, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Monument Colorado's Topological Highpoint Monument, CO, is about 10 miles north of Colorado Springs, straddling I-25 today as it straddled the Rio Grande Railroad when it was founded in 1872. As Pike's Peak dominates the skyline west of Colorado Springs, Mt Herman rises majestically from the plain on which Monument rests. For those who like their mountains accessible and their hikes manageable, even by out of town visitors, Mt Herman is the place to go. The trek described here is about 2 miles round trip, during which the hiker will gain and lose about 1000 feet in elevation. The top of the mountain, from which Pike's Peak is visible to the southwest and Kansas City to the east (on a very clear day!), is only about 9100 feet high; so there is enough oxygen to enjoy the time one spends contemplating whichever scene is most captivating.

To get to this trail you will have to take a two wheel drive passable dirt road for about 3.5 miles. The trail itself is a moderately difficult hike due to the loose gravel on the first portion of the trail. Pine, Spruce, and Aspen trees can be seen on the trail as well as some nice rock formations. Once at the top you are given great views of Monument, CO and Colorado Springs to the East and Pike National Forest to the West. Trail 360 on YouTube

off road driving

The people who say this trail is easy make these reviews worthless in my opinion. I've done almost every front range hike in the Monument/Palmer Ridge area and very few are easy. This trail starts steep and only gets steeper. There is loose skree and boulders intermittent. It's beautiful, rewarding and so worth it. But easy? No.

It was steeper than anticipated, but the views are beautiful! I am very new to hiking after having lived in Florida for the past ten years, but with regular breaks I made it up, no major issue. The trail is poorly marked, seems to branch off often, and I did a bit of unintentional bush whacking, but was able to get back on track fairly quickly.

Super steep, bring poles for the descent, the hard ground and gravel make many spots challenging on the way down.
Also, it is closer to 2000 feet in elevation gain.
Very pretty, you are in the shade most of the time, and there is a tiny creek beside parts of the trail for dogs to drink and cool off.

Great trail and not too busy. It was a little tougher than I expected and was somewhat hard for some of the members of the group. Overall it was a great trail with great views at the end!

I'm old. I'm slow. I'm happy I was able to solo this hike and get to the top on a beautiful day. Not too crowded, I got to the summit but didn't see the logbook. Now I'll have to do it again! Some steeps 1/3 of the way in with scree when you come down. I had some poles to supplement bad knees so it worked out okay. I didn't see Kansas City, but I did see Denver...pretty cool. Now as I drive up and down I-25, I can look over and say, "I've been to the top of that one."