Mount Herman Trail

Mount Herman Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Crest, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Monument Colorado's Topological Highpoint Monument, CO, is about 10 miles north of Colorado Springs, straddling I-25 today as it straddled the Rio Grande Railroad when it was founded in 1872. As Pike's Peak dominates the skyline west of Colorado Springs, Mt Herman rises majestically from the plain on which Monument rests. For those who like their mountains accessible and their hikes manageable, even by out of town visitors, Mt Herman is the place to go. The trek described here is about 2 miles round trip, during which the hiker will gain and lose about 1000 feet in elevation. The top of the mountain, from which Pike's Peak is visible to the southwest and Kansas City to the east (on a very clear day!), is only about 9100 feet high; so there is enough oxygen to enjoy the time one spends contemplating whichever scene is most captivating.

1 hour ago

So... great trail. But we got lost. my fault. I'm new to this app and to Colorado, and i didn't read the instructions for the trailhead. We started at the Eastern parking lot nearer Palmer lake, by the Yellow wind sock labeled "Mt. Herman." This trail went along the east side of the mountain, beautiful, well marked trail, but very steep. At about 1.8 miles up, we then turned west and got up to the Mt Herman peek that way. Coming back down the western slope, it is easy to tell why that is the more traditional route. It was much much easier and shorter. The whole thing took me and my three kids 16/9/9 years old 3 hours. We hitched a ride back down to where we parked. Beautiful trail Next time I will pay closer attention to the instructions. As I told my kids while we were lost, "Life is a Journey, not a Destination!!!"

We enjoy this hike! A great getaway from town, only a 20 minuet drive from the north side of Colorado Springs! Great views and plenty of wildlife.

It’s not a very hard trail but it‘s steep in some parts. Loved the views once we made it to the top.

Easy and light hike with a cool view of the city at the top!

I hiked this trail carrying my 30 pound toddler. I wouldn’t recommend this trail with a baby/toddler as a good portion of this trail is very steep. The view of pikes peak at the top is great though. Great work out.

Hiked this with my 8 and 6 year old and they did great! Don’t think I’ll be able to convince them to go again because they hated the drive up. Trail was difficult to follow, but we were lucky enough to see a few people along the way who pointed us in the right direction. Views from the top are amazing and my kiddos thought it was fun to sign the log book in the green ammo box. We were hoping to watch some paragliders take off but decided not to wait.

Great views for a short hike

great hike, a bit steep but short with great views. very little ice/snow.

Our family’s first hike after moving to the Colorado Springs area. Loved it. I carried our 1.5yo toddler on my back with minimal difficulty and for not being in great “high altitude” shape yet. 6yo daughter did great as well. Most difficult part of the hike is the loose gravel coming down, just gotta take your time. Beautiful/very windy view at the top. Look for the Visitor’s Log inside the green ammo box at the summit.

Light snow in the shade but very hikeable in February. Combined with Raspberry for a nice two-fer.

Quick hike, rewarding views!!!

Excellent hike. Short but mostly uphill, so it ends up being a pretty good workout. Great for kids, too. My five yr old crushed it with only a couple of stops. Definitely easier than Eagle and Blodgett peaks, which are nearby.

To get to this trail you will have to take a two wheel drive passable dirt road for about 3.5 miles. The trail itself is a moderately difficult hike due to the loose gravel on the first portion of the trail. Pine, Spruce, and Aspen trees can be seen on the trail as well as some nice rock formations. Once at the top you are given great views of Monument, CO and Colorado Springs to the East and Pike National Forest to the West. Trail 360 on YouTube

The people who say this trail is easy make these reviews worthless in my opinion. I've done almost every front range hike in the Monument/Palmer Ridge area and very few are easy. This trail starts steep and only gets steeper. There is loose skree and boulders intermittent. It's beautiful, rewarding and so worth it. But easy? No.

It was steeper than anticipated, but the views are beautiful! I am very new to hiking after having lived in Florida for the past ten years, but with regular breaks I made it up, no major issue. The trail is poorly marked, seems to branch off often, and I did a bit of unintentional bush whacking, but was able to get back on track fairly quickly.

Super steep, bring poles for the descent, the hard ground and gravel make many spots challenging on the way down.
Also, it is closer to 2000 feet in elevation gain.
Very pretty, you are in the shade most of the time, and there is a tiny creek beside parts of the trail for dogs to drink and cool off.

Great trail and not too busy. It was a little tougher than I expected and was somewhat hard for some of the members of the group. Overall it was a great trail with great views at the end!

I'm old. I'm slow. I'm happy I was able to solo this hike and get to the top on a beautiful day. Not too crowded, I got to the summit but didn't see the logbook. Now I'll have to do it again! Some steeps 1/3 of the way in with scree when you come down. I had some poles to supplement bad knees so it worked out okay. I didn't see Kansas City, but I did see Denver...pretty cool. Now as I drive up and down I-25, I can look over and say, "I've been to the top of that one."

Quick and fun trail for some incredible views. It's short but steep -- did the roundtrip experience (including 20 minutes of view savoring) in a little over an hour. We passed a family with small kids having a difficult time of it. I'm not sure I'd want children at the top, given how steep the cliffs are, but to each her own. Great time overall!

Lush trail with rewarding views, but challenging to follow trails. There were several trail splits but no markers indicating which routes were more difficult. We ended up on steep grade with lots of gravel. Chose milder trail for descent and it was still pretty steep. Worth it for the views.

Not one dog on leash! Poop everywhere

7/17/17: I went in on the back side.... coming in from the parking lot. when the trail splits I kept to left. passed what looked like an old cabin maybe someone set up some die ed logs for a shelter. then just passed that was a tee pee. the trail curves to the right and head up hill to the left. at the top is a bigger TEE Pee. the trail then splits again. I kept to the left and eventually was at the bottom. went through and overgrown trail came to a split and kept to the left this is where it starts off a bit steep. but trail is still evident. eventually it gets super boulderie and steep. very sketchy cause some spot are drop offs. you make it to one view point where you get a great view of Palmer Lake. head further up to the very top there will be a camp fire spot and the view is panoramic. the whole way up i would get dizzy if I looked to the right because of the height and I thought what the neck did I get myself Into . but there were no regrets. Just a little up and over the side of the mountain to the paragliding spot and follow the stacked rocks down back to the parking lot . I made a nice little 3 mile loop according to my GPS. I feel like it may have been more because of signal loss but not sure. I started at 11:30am took my time and returned back at 2pm. If you want to see pictures I did upload some of what I took.

Favorite local hike to date! Absolutely recommend!

Moderate is a subjective term. I enjoyed the heck out of this trail. My wife came up short at the last climb. But if you take it slow, you can make it. It is a bit more climbing than Seven Bridges. But the views! Phenomenal! Use the app to take you right to the parking spot. Rough road the last 3 miles but well worth it.

Great hike with amazing views at the top and at a few points along the way. The drive to the trail head is also pretty, but I don't recommend a sports car on that dirt road!

I went last weekend and it was definitely worth going the extra distance for the true summit - awesome views!

Great hike, we had 4 adults and kids not in the best of shape and everyone made it to the clearing below the summit. Trail was difficult to find so two of us scaled up to see a flag that turned out to be shirt on a warning pole and then located the actual summit flag to sign the book. Very good view from the top.

Steep but rewarding.