Mount Herman Trail

Mount Herman Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Crest, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Monument Colorado's Topological Highpoint Monument, CO, is about 10 miles north of Colorado Springs, straddling I-25 today as it straddled the Rio Grande Railroad when it was founded in 1872. As Pike's Peak dominates the skyline west of Colorado Springs, Mt Herman rises majestically from the plain on which Monument rests. For those who like their mountains accessible and their hikes manageable, even by out of town visitors, Mt Herman is the place to go. The trek described here is about 2 miles round trip, during which the hiker will gain and lose about 1000 feet in elevation. The top of the mountain, from which Pike's Peak is visible to the southwest and Kansas City to the east (on a very clear day!), is only about 9100 feet high; so there is enough oxygen to enjoy the time one spends contemplating whichever scene is most captivating.

The drive up doesn't require 4WD, but high clearance is helpful. Decent shade and sweet views. As noted, the trail is steep and washed out due to lack of water bars, which can make the descent slippery in dry conditions.

The hike is very pretty with a great view at the top. However, the trail is a bit too steep without good water bars in place. This means there’s a lot of uneven ground from erosion, as the trail looks like a very steep stream bed.

We didn't quite make it to the peak - did some other hiking first and ran out of time. Mount Herman Rd was a bit difficult to navigate due to the recent heavy rains. A low profile vehicle will have trouble until the road is re-graded. We drove an Outback and managed, but went very slow due to the washed out areas and exposed rocks. Several rocks were difficult to avoid and might damage the underside of a low profile car.

Family friendly hike to the summit of My Herman. Kids loved it, beautiful views of pikes peak and monument. A little tricky at the top to stay on course, stay to your left to get to the summit and it’s bit steep on the decent. Overall a great family hiking day.

Great hike !! The temperature was perfect at 70 degrees -very few people. Not difficult great day!

Great hike that can be done in a short amount of time. The description of the hike above is accurate. Follow the directions on the yellow start dot on the map carefully. There are multiple branches in the trail at the 0.2 mile mark where the trail takes off up the mountain. The trail does not cross the creek but turns back south and heads up the mountain. Many points in the trail are simply wide areas where water runs during storms. Near the top, hikers have left cairns to guide your way to the top. There is a windsock at the top and a metal pole near the windsock. The ammo box is at the base of the metal pole. This trail becomes a stream when it rains!

Great hike with Pikes Peak and Palmer/Monument overlooks.

Great trail. It’s not long but there are parts that are challenging. The trail is also hard to follow at time. Well worth the hike to the top though.

This is a short and fun out & back with nice views as a reward. A couple of things to note. There a couple of challenging sections, the first is steep scree while the second is steep & rocky. And second thing to note, the trail begins to split & fracture near the top and it becomes easier to stray from the main path. All in all a good hike I've taken my small kids up a few times. If you're especially lucky you may find folks paragliding off the summit.

So... great trail. But we got lost. my fault. I'm new to this app and to Colorado, and i didn't read the instructions for the trailhead. We started at the Northern parking lot nearer Palmer lake, by the Yellow wind sock labeled "Mt. Herman." This trail went along the east side of the mountain, beautiful, well marked trail, but very steep. At about 1.8 miles up, we then turned South and got up to the Mt Herman peak that way. Coming back down the western slope, it is easy to tell why that is the more traditional route. It was much much easier and shorter. The whole thing took me and my three kids 16/9/9 years old 3 hours. We hitched a ride back down to where we parked with some friendly USAFA grads. Beautiful trail. Next time I will pay closer attention to the instructions. As I told my kids while we were lost, "Life is a Journey, not a Destination!!!"

We enjoy this hike! A great getaway from town, only a 20 minuet drive from the north side of Colorado Springs! Great views and plenty of wildlife.

It’s not a very hard trail but it‘s steep in some parts. Loved the views once we made it to the top.

Easy and light hike with a cool view of the city at the top!

I hiked this trail carrying my 30 pound toddler. I wouldn’t recommend this trail with a baby/toddler as a good portion of this trail is very steep. The view of pikes peak at the top is great though. Great work out.

Hiked this with my 8 and 6 year old and they did great! Don’t think I’ll be able to convince them to go again because they hated the drive up. Trail was difficult to follow, but we were lucky enough to see a few people along the way who pointed us in the right direction. Views from the top are amazing and my kiddos thought it was fun to sign the log book in the green ammo box. We were hoping to watch some paragliders take off but decided not to wait.

Great views for a short hike

great hike, a bit steep but short with great views. very little ice/snow.

Our family’s first hike after moving to the Colorado Springs area. Loved it. I carried our 1.5yo toddler on my back with minimal difficulty and for not being in great “high altitude” shape yet. 6yo daughter did great as well. Most difficult part of the hike is the loose gravel coming down, just gotta take your time. Beautiful/very windy view at the top. Look for the Visitor’s Log inside the green ammo box at the summit.

Light snow in the shade but very hikeable in February. Combined with Raspberry for a nice two-fer.

Quick hike, rewarding views!!!

Excellent hike. Short but mostly uphill, so it ends up being a pretty good workout. Great for kids, too. My five yr old crushed it with only a couple of stops. Definitely easier than Eagle and Blodgett peaks, which are nearby.

To get to this trail you will have to take a two wheel drive passable dirt road for about 3.5 miles. The trail itself is a moderately difficult hike due to the loose gravel on the first portion of the trail. Pine, Spruce, and Aspen trees can be seen on the trail as well as some nice rock formations. Once at the top you are given great views of Monument, CO and Colorado Springs to the East and Pike National Forest to the West. Trail 360 on YouTube

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

The people who say this trail is easy make these reviews worthless in my opinion. I've done almost every front range hike in the Monument/Palmer Ridge area and very few are easy. This trail starts steep and only gets steeper. There is loose skree and boulders intermittent. It's beautiful, rewarding and so worth it. But easy? No.

Monday, August 21, 2017

It was steeper than anticipated, but the views are beautiful! I am very new to hiking after having lived in Florida for the past ten years, but with regular breaks I made it up, no major issue. The trail is poorly marked, seems to branch off often, and I did a bit of unintentional bush whacking, but was able to get back on track fairly quickly.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Super steep, bring poles for the descent, the hard ground and gravel make many spots challenging on the way down.
Also, it is closer to 2000 feet in elevation gain.
Very pretty, you are in the shade most of the time, and there is a tiny creek beside parts of the trail for dogs to drink and cool off.

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Great trail and not too busy. It was a little tougher than I expected and was somewhat hard for some of the members of the group. Overall it was a great trail with great views at the end!

Friday, August 18, 2017

I'm old. I'm slow. I'm happy I was able to solo this hike and get to the top on a beautiful day. Not too crowded, I got to the summit but didn't see the logbook. Now I'll have to do it again! Some steeps 1/3 of the way in with scree when you come down. I had some poles to supplement bad knees so it worked out okay. I didn't see Kansas City, but I did see Denver...pretty cool. Now as I drive up and down I-25, I can look over and say, "I've been to the top of that one."

Saturday, August 05, 2017

Quick and fun trail for some incredible views. It's short but steep -- did the roundtrip experience (including 20 minutes of view savoring) in a little over an hour. We passed a family with small kids having a difficult time of it. I'm not sure I'd want children at the top, given how steep the cliffs are, but to each her own. Great time overall!

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Lush trail with rewarding views, but challenging to follow trails. There were several trail splits but no markers indicating which routes were more difficult. We ended up on steep grade with lots of gravel. Chose milder trail for descent and it was still pretty steep. Worth it for the views.