Mount Herman and Raspberry Mountain Loop via Whilte Ghost Trail

Mount Herman and Raspberry Mountain Loop via Whilte Ghost Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Monument, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,929 feet Route Type: Loop

Mt. Herman Rd. to Limbaugh Canyon via CO trail 715 to HZ trail to White Ghost trail The Mt. Herman Loop can be done via mountain bike, distance run, or hiking. On the bike, it is not a ride for beginners and must be done clockwise. A KMZ file is available down on the right under "Other Resources" for Google Earth users and for export to other platforms. To get to the trailhead, take exit 161 and go West on 2nd St. Make a left on Mitchell Ave and a right on Mt. Herman Rd. Follow Mt. Herman Rd. onto the dirt and make a right on Red Rocks Dr. The parking/turn-around is on your right. Starting at the small lot near the intersection of Mt. Herman Rd. and Red Rocks Dr., you will climb Mt. Herman Rd. up about 1000 feet to 8400 feet to the top of trail 715 and then descend into Limbaugh Canyon. The canyon is a mix of rolling open space trail and tight steep switchbacks. The farther you go down the canyon the more technical the ride becomes with rocks impeding your route. It's not a problem for those on foot. Once you reach the front (East) side of the mountain, the trail is very technical and riders will have to hike through some of the ascending switchbacks. The descents are very technical but certainly rideable. Follow the GPS carefully so you don't end up down the hill in someone's private property. When you get back to the parking area there are many options to extend your ride below Mt. Herman Rd. If you've got some mountain biking experience, this scenic ride is well worth the effort. Very few people use this trail and the views are marvelous.

Perfect day and hike.

Ran this on 08/03. As others have said it’s easy to lose the trail, pay attention! The path is very rocky so watch your footing, especially running, I almost fell a few times. Overall a good run.

Beautiful trail for the most part. As many have mentioned, it’s easy to get off track (especially running!) so keep the (m)app handy. Oh, and that southeast portion of the route where it looks like it goes off trail, yeah, it does, there is no trail there, good luck with that

Beautiful and interesting hike, but seemed longer than 9+ miles. I concur with the rest about using the AllTrails app. It definitely was my friend and guide to get me back on the correct trail as I lost it a few times or went down another path. If going counterclockwise, the views and the red rocks towards the end definitely gave me the extra pep needed to finish the hike.

Got lost 3 times in 3 miles

Make sure you go counterclockwise unlike what I did at the beginning and had to backtrack. The trail is not very well Mark and we really had to rely on the pink line. At one point we couldn’t find the trail near Mount Herman Road. Bring lots of water and food. I would rat this a 5 if it weren’t for losing the trail even following the pink line. Dog owners, please leash growling and barking dogs. There were bikers but they were friendly and respectful.

My parter, dog, and I hiked this trail today and bit a little more off than we meant to chew. First hike of the season, and the winter was not good to our endurance or bellies. We ran into maybe 4 pairs of hikers over the 6 hour hike. Very interesting hike, a lot of different views. At some points, you can see over all of Monument and Palmer Lake. At others, there’s absolutely nothing around and it’s hard to believe you’re so close to town. I think most of the hike, we didn’t need to look at the AllTrails app very much, but we went counter clockwise, so the Flow Dog trail was the last leg of the long hike, and there are parts of that trail in particular that are NOT well marked or easy to follow. multiple times, we felt lost and had to wander around trying to get back on that particular trail. Try to look for little rock piles set up by other hikers and ourselves if you feel lost on the Flow Dog trail!

Fun trail, lots of great scenery.

Mon Oct 22 2018

I’ll definitely go again. Easy and enjoyable loop. Not a lot of traffic. I was thankful for the downloadable maps as there are no trail markers and I would have gone off the trail if not for having it available. Would recommend to friends and family. I’m looking forward to taking my dogs next time.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Nice long hike with some ups and downs. Make sure you have gps - only way to follow the trail silence there are a lot of unmarked trails on this mountain. Struggled to find the Flow Dog trail after splitting off from 715 so we ended up using the dirt road back to the parking lot.

Sat Jun 23 2018

85 degrees mild weather but 70% shade helped me from overheat. I was going to give 5 stars but changed my mind to 4 because the map was messed up. There was no way to get on Flow Dog trail after I got on trail 715. I had to go around and use alternate trail but I made it back. Not crowded at all, maybe ran into 6 bikers and 5 hikers all total during my 3.5 hour hike. Beautiful wild flowers, I enjoyed the view so much. Have fun!

Sun Aug 20 2017

Quite beautiful this time of year!

Wed Jul 05 2017

Good trails, easy terrain, poorly marked trail markers and a lot of unmarked sub trails

Sat Jul 01 2017

Nice long loop. Started at Mt Herman TH therefore 1st 3/4 of loop was well wooded and quite enjoyable. Walking up the road the final 1/4 was less so. Lots of crossing trails along the way so have a good map or follow all-trails track closely.

Sun Sep 04 2016

Beautiful hike through the woods on White Ghost trail and around the mountain. I came down the mountain on Mt. Herman road which made the return trip a bit sketchy with cars going up. First half of the hike made it all worth it. My phone tracked 13.5 miles rather than the 8.9 that All Trails showed on the app.

Sat Aug 13 2016

Definitely farther than 9 miles. Fairly easy hike but you spend 3 miles walking on mt Herman rd which is fairly dangerous. I suggest (if there are 2 of you or more) parking one car at the lower parking lot and one car at the top lot (just before you go on the actual trail to skip this part and cut out the long, hot, uphill, dangerous gravel road walk.