Mount Guyot is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Breckenridge, Colorado that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and running and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length7.8 miElevation gain2,965 ftRoute typeOut & back
HikingRunningDog friendlyForestRiverWildlifeRockyScramble
Description
Waypoints (0)

This is a Colorado 13er located just outside Breckenridge. Summit is 13,370'.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (26)
Photos (73)
Activities (24)
Completed (42)
Wolfgang Stiller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2020
HikingGreat!Off trailRocky

Excellent high country hike. Really nice views up high. Be careful and download the track for this since it's easy to miss a turn off on the roads until you hike off trail later in the hike. The route is in great shape with no snow or ice to cause a problem and it should stay that way for a while yet. Also we didn't see another person on this hike so it's a great wilderness experience.

Tony Pizzamiglio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
OHV/Off-road driving
View Tony 's activity
Adam Zedler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 12, 2020
Hiking

Lots of snow at tree line. Turned back

View Adam's activity
Elliot Reno
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
Hiking

Very challenging! Good for trail seekers.

View Elliot's activity
Tony Pizzamiglio
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 1, 2020
View Tony 's activity
Jason Rae
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingOff trailOver grownRockyScramble

Wouldn’t recommend this one for pups - gets a bit rocky towards the top. Also found the trail very difficult to follow and not very well marked and overgrown. Some nice views at the summit, but definitely not one of my favorites.

Melissa Dentch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble

I'm not sure why this has such a high rating. The trail starts out on a fire road, and then transitions to a trail. It's pretty, with a creek running along the trail. Then there's a good bit of climbing, over a pretty rocky trail. That's the easy part. when you come out of the tree line, the trail entirely disappears. The summit is one massive scree field - well over half a mile long up and then back down. The views from the summit are amazing, but honestly pretty similar to views you'd get elsewhere. It was a type two fun kind of day - I'm glad I did it, especially since there were moments where I wasn't sure I could, but I don't want to do it again and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. We went on a Sunday and had the trail and peak to ourselves - that was probably the best part! Hard to find quiet trails in Colorado. Very little snow still on the route - just a few patches here and there that are easily avoided. Spikes not needed but poles are essential for the rocks.

Mikhail Oparin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingMuddyOff trailRockySnow

Perfect trail for hiking and biking. The most complicated part is climbing to the peak since there no trail only small rocks. While we were on trail the weather changed multiple times - sunny, cloudy, rainy, hailstorm, rain and sunny again. There you can see the beautiful flowers, long mountain creek and old miners’ houses. The view from peak is heartbreaking.

View Mikhail's activity
Keenan Laurence
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingRocky
View Keenan's activity
Bruce Ballard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble

Beautiful day for an exhilarating trip up and across the peaks at either side with my boys. Round trip was a little over 5 hours, including missing the trail detour on the way up the road and overshooting it by about .4 miles, trying an older trail with a lot of fallen trees to maneuver, snack before the rock fields and about a 20 min break for a sandwich at the peak. To call this climb rocky just does not do it justice, wow what a lot of rocks. Sure made the ascent and decent interesting with calculating every foot placement, certainly not able to aimless wander on this one. Breathtaking views from the top and many spots along the way. Saw a mountain goat and baby about half way down the mountain and two other folks hiking near the bottom, otherwise had the trail to ourselves. Quite a bit of dirt road walking but did not distract from the overall peacefulness of our hike. Great day out!

View Bruce's activity
Thomas Kramer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful mountain and views try to follow the cairns. Easy to get lost coming down going into the woods ending up having to bushwhack back onto trail. Rock scramble to the summit is tough. A lot of mountain goats. One snow field to go through but not even higher then ankle and not long. We spent a lot of time at summit watch weather !

View Thomas's activity
Crystal Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 20, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScrambleSnow
First to Review

Where do I even begin! Ok, well I started at 9:30am on a Sat, trailhead parking was fine. You walk up a road for quite a bit, but it’s next to some marsh lands, I happened to see a Moose as soon as I started which made it all worth it to me. Onto the climb, before you get out of the tree line, it’s pretty much just climbing up after the little french flume trail, no guidance really after that, I just tried to pay attention to my all trails the entire time. Once out of the tree lines, you have not one giant hill but TWO giant mountains of loose rock to climb some parts still covered in snow. I pretty much army crawled the last Mile to get to the top, then fell 4 times coming down and did a crab crawl lol. The ridge leading to the top still has a lot of snow hanging off the cliffs so not much room to hang out but a rock shelter to block wind. Climb isn’t 6.7 miles, it was probably close to that one way, it was around 10-11 RT once I was done. Don’t pay attention to my recording, I forgot to shut it off when I went into Downtown Breck to have a beverage after this :) Long story short, I wouldn’t do again but the views were fantastic, I didn’t see anyone on the trail with me, but also not smart I hiked this one alone but didn’t think the rocks would be so technically difficult. There wasn’t any other reviews so thought I would leave one! I recommend poles to brace your poor knees, spikes weren’t necessary you can walk around most of the big parts of snow.

View Crystal's activity
Madison Kim
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 10, 2020
HikingMuddyOff trailRockyScrambleSnow