Mount Garfield

Mount Garfield is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Palisade, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1945 feet

Terrific views, wild horses, and a short gnarly climb/scramble up to the top to overlook Grand Junction. This trail is steep and can get hot on summer afternoons, depending on the time of year you may want to do this hike in the morning.

I’ve done this hike twice, once with my 12 year old son. Both times it was amazing. Definitely difficult going up the first part, super steep and strenuous. The second time doing this hike I paced myself with a very slow speed and was able to do the first half without having to stop once. The first time I tried going faster and would burn out fast and have to stop to rest. This hike is so worth it when you reach the top so don’t give up. And yes coming back down is harder than it seems with the loose dirt it’s easy to slip.

It was so worth it!

local trail, I feel like too many inexperienced hiker use this trail and they leave their negative energy on the path. I feel like the mental struggle to complete this trail is more than it should be. This could be a good hiking season kick off trail.

New Eater Tradish

well worth any struggle faced. take it at your own pace. remember to come back!

Short but strenuous in some areas especially right from the get go. Great views! Minor issues with following the main trail, maybe one cairn but nothing to be concerned. Going down from the summit was fine for the first half but last half was a bit slippery (dry and loose gravel). I had proper hiking boots and treking poles but still slipped a few times. I would bring some water, at least a liter...saw many who didn't bring anything. Sunscreen! Also, know your hiking manners! I was passing 2 young guys blocking the path, wouldnt move and were on the phone. Fortunately, they didn't ruin a great hiking experience!

Definitely a tough hike. It's very steep in places and the ground isn't always completely solid underneath you. There is also no shade and it can get very windy towards the top but the views are absolutely worth it. If you're from a lower elevation area like me this hike will probably challenge you. I highly recommend using trekking poles on this hike. The descent can get sketchy without them.

Recommend not to do when it’s snowing
But still an amazing hike

Cardio..... lots of people do go early

Great hike for both my dog and i. Start hiking right before sun rise and you wont regret it.

Great strenuous hike. Beautiful views. Unfortunately did not see any horses, maybe next time.

definitely a strenuous hike, but well worth it. The views are amazing! Allow more time if it's your first time hiking this trail for picture taking.

My friend and I hiked this trail together and although it is advanced we both loved it! Views at the top overlooking the valley are incredible! Watch your footing coming down, very tricky terrain. Will do this one again!

Super challenging but definitely worth it! The views are amazing. Be prepared!

Tough, but the views are so worth it! I love seeing the wildhorses. I don’t recommend it in the summer. It’s stifling up there.

Off the hook fun and challenging. My 5yo son has been begging me to go, and just this week, trucked up to the top without any probs. Hella sweet views and we’ve seen horses a couple of times.

The end result is worth it!

Hiked with Jay. Super hard! It is pretty much straight up. Wind was the only thing in the forecast for us today so we thought it was fine, it is soooo windy up there! There is one spot on the hike that is like a wind tunnel and we had to crawl through to get out of it! The view is really amazing and it's cool to walk around the top. Sadly we didn't see any horses :( Glad I did it so I could say that I did and never have to again!

loved this hike.

It was steep. It was beautiful. The views were spectacular. It did not even take two hours to get up and down, however, I stayed up there for about 45 minutes to an hour. On my hike up and my hike down I saw the wild horses. There are so many places to stop and take beautiful pictures. I started my hike around nine in the morning and it was never too hot. The views are worth every step.

Difficult hike but absolutely worth the effort. Just go early before the sun gets too hot (our mistake)

Great hike close to Palisades...first mile is difficult! Up up up! After that is mellows and the views are fantastic!

Really cool hike very close to town. Definitely steep, especially the first mile. We did it in the heat of the day (August) - would recommend in the morning/evening! Saw wild horses grazing, and the views of the valley from the top are spectacular.

Very good views

Difficult hike but the view is worth it.

Great Hike...Saw a wild horse. Beautiful view of the Valley from the top

Stair master!! Totally worth it. Best hike I've done in a long time. Great geology to look at. View at the top was spectacular at sunset.

Start early! No later than 8 am cause it gets HOT with no shade or water sources. But the hike is beautiful, immediate satisfaction! Highly recommend

STEEP!! If you're looking for a leg workout this is the trail for you. Keep in mind you're hiking in a desert with no shade, you can go during the day but I recommend going early in the morning 5-6 am. Not for children, lots of ledges steep climbing.