Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Mount Garfield is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Palisade, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,886 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Terrific views, wild horses, and a short gnarly climb/scramble up to the top to overlook Grand Junction. This trail is steep and can get hot on summer afternoons, depending on the time of year you may want to do this hike in the morning.

Excellent trail! When I moved here a lot of people told me about this climb. The beginning part in my opinion is the toughest. You have to really collect your nerves and have tunnel vision because for me one glance to the side and my knees felt weak! Coming back down from flagpole is hard as well but I felt more confident then I did when I started the hike. Had a delicious dinner at the Great International Buffet (GIB) afterwards!

It was a great day in Palisade, Beautiful, breezy, and windy on the “shelf” part of the trail. Healthy, beautiful wild horses in the upper meadows. We made it to the flag in good time, and tried to find the loop. But route finding was difficult so we made our own loops for adventure! See recording!!!

This trail is a beast! Love the challenge! This is not for the weak

I went with a group of beginner hikers, it was super fun and even more rewarding!! I highly suggest good shoes and to know what trail your taking for sure. We took the harder more steep trail and it took us 4 hours to get to the top (probably just us being slow and novices). It did not take as long to get down. The trail was super easy to follow and it was not as hard to get lost as people say it is.

Don’t underestimate this trail. It is hard. The hardest part is the beginning. But I made it up to the top then chugged a beer to celebrate. The view makes it worth it. This is my third time doing it in 6 months and I’ll keep doing it. Can’t beat the views.

Loved the trail. It was easy to follow and great views

fun hike! steep, not a ton of shade, can get windy. i suggest an aggressive soled shoe.

Amazing views, but somewhat annoying with all the threaded social trails. Great hike!

Very hard but it is a must. My dog did great with us. I slipped coming back down and had a pretty good bruise for a couple weeks. It is really steep! My kids want to go so I will be doing it again.

Awesome hike. I hike it every year in the spring. Need better traction shoes. Nice to get out of the quarantines for a few hours.

So I’m glad I can say I did it...but definitely not one of my favorites. I probably won’t do it again, unless I know someone who *really* wants to go. It’s easy to lose the trail (especially towards the top). You gain a lot of elevation in a very short distance, & there’s a lot of loose gravel on parts of the trail. I didn’t take poles, but I would definitely recommend them for the way down, if you have them. I’m not one to cart my poles along, but this one gets a bit tough on your knees. Also not much shelter, & it can be very cold & windy. The views at the top are neat, but as for me, well I’ll be sticking to the rivers & the lakes that I’m used to...

Great trail, but very hard to social distance. No one is taking that seriously and the trail is very narrow. Also wear sturdy shoes with grip, saw lots of people slipping and sliding and it would be very easy to drop a long way.

This hike is no joke! First of all, I'd recommend taking a high clearance vehicle especially after some precipitation because you have to travel through a narrow underpass that collects a lot of water in order to get to the trail head. I went in late November and there was about 3 feet of water in the tunnel.. The hike itself is extremely steep and actually pretty treacherous. I would recommend trekking poles for this one, as well as microspikes if you're hiking in the winter. I ran into quite a bit of slick snow on the top 1/2 mile of the trail and had to take it really slow up and down. My biggest beef with this trail is the amount of social trails that veer off from the main trail. I'd often follow a path that looked safe and logical only to get cliffed out and have to turn around and choose a different path. The social trails are everywhere and it's obvious that the BLM doesn't give much time to maintaining this trail. However, the scenery makes you feel like you're on a different planet and the summit provides views of the grand valley, the bookcliffs, the colorado river, the grand mesa, and the rockies in the distance. It's stunning and worth the work and occasional confusion.

Tough trail, very steep. A walking stick is a good idea and sticky boots that will keep you grounded when walking back down on loose gravel. The entrance to the trail is through what looks like a water way.

brutal! but beautiful.