Mount Flora Trail

Mount Flora Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

With the current snow, you’ll lose the trail if you try to follow it around Colorado Mines Peak. We took the service road up to Colorado Mines Peak, then snowshoed down the mountain until the trail was visible. By that point, it was so windblown not even spikes were needed. We went back to car the same way we came down, so back up Colorado Mines to weather station — a real calf burner. With the trail being so hard to follow right now, I would not do this one alone or at all if you have bad navigation skills. It’s not for the faint of heart in the winter. Winds are brutal as you approach the summit. Be safe and enjoy the views. You can see pics of my trip @sayssavannah on Instagram.

Well... this was tough. Not windy while we were up there and a beautiful day but I’m Guessing the trail gets blown over every night. Was tough to follow the trail but phones worked so was on track. We got about half way. Snowshoes are a must but we turned back because it was tough on the ankles walking at an angle with the shoes. Awesome views. Dog loved it. Deep snow off trail. Will have to do in the summer!

We did this in about a foot of snow yesterday. Was pretty tough but we were able to complete it in a few hours with our dog. View was incredible!

This was my first 13er and I had the trail to myself on a weekday morning. It’s a steady climb with only a few rocky spots. Once you get around the side of Colorado Mines Peak, the wind really picks up. I had 25mph winds with a wind chill of 27 at 10AM. Some wonderful people built a couple of wind breaks at the top. Challenging with good valley views. I even saw it snowing around Bard Peak. On my way back, I climbed CMP too. 8 miles in 3h 45m.

Absolutely stunning hike, lots of lake views. Got quite windy up there so bring a jacket and maybe a toque. If you decide to desend down to see Bill Moore Lake the wind is not near as bad.
After the Mount Flora peak, go a little further and push yourself and you won't be disappointed with the views of Bill Moore Lake from up above. From there it can get pretty rocky at the top, and further on the trail is not well marked so be careful.

the wind was absolutely insane even on the sunny day it was. I summited Mt. Flora after an hour and a half pretty much moving non stop and tried to sit at the top but the wind was so strong (even tho I was sitting against some large rocks) so I descended down. total of 2 hours and the views were great. a nice continental divide hike.

This trail is gorgeous and well maintained. Be prepared: it’s extremely windy at the top!

Hiked 8/26/18 — very windy conditions, but a good hike. Definitely a steep ascent at times but very doable if you’re in good shape. Arrived at 7:30AM and done by 11:00 AM (4.5 hours). Saw a few storm clouds in the distance on our way down. Wear hiking boots; there are several sections of loose rock. Arrive before 9AM on a weekend for parking.
Giving it 4 stars because of the traffic noise that’s prevalent for most of the hike.

This was my first 13er and it was beautiful but challenging mentally and physically. Something I didn't know about ahead of time was the 4 or 5 "false summits" before you reached the top, which were demoralizing to me. Regardless, I kept going and the views from up top were worth it. Bring layers and anything to help with the wind, including a Buff or something to cover your face as it gets pretty chilly. Pretty busy on a Sunday but had a large parking lot with restrooms so that helps.

Done several 14ers but this was my first 13er. Parked at berthoud pass at 8:00 sharp on a Sunday morning. Only a dozen cars there. I decided to bag Colorado Mines Mountain (el. 12,493– the old ski hill with the buildings on top) as well. The old dirt road to the top of CMM and the buildings are not particularly pretty. That’s why only 4 stars. Went up the dirt road to where you can turn left and traverse across CMM toward Flora or turn right and head to the summit of CMM. I chose to do Flora first. If you’re acclimated to altitude this is a pretty easy hike. There are a couple of moderately steep stretches but nothing too daunting. And it’s easy on the knees. There’s a dirt trail almost the whole way up. Very little over rocks. Took 1:20 to do the 3 miles to the top of Flora. Hung out and took pix and ate for about 15 minutes then headed back. When you reach the edge of the saddle between Flora and CMM, you can turn right and traverse back around CMM or you can go almost straight up it. This short ascent on CMM is the steepest part of the hike. It takes you to the dirt road you started on, but higher up, near CMM’s summit. Took about 45-50 minutes to do that 1.75 mile leg. After a little on top, I descended the whole dirt road to the parking lot —about 1.5 miles in 35 minutes. All told: about 6.25 miles in 3 hours. Mostly easy. Great starter high altitude hike. Great for kids and dogs— the mostly dirt trail means they’re unlikely to hurt their paws (the dogs, that is).
Pros: it’s a 13-er, views from Flora and CMM, accessibility, warming hut with bathroom at trailhead (don’t underestimate this!)
Cons: US40 traffic noise for a while, ugly buildings on top of CMM, really, really windy and it sounds like it’s almost always that way

Pretty straight forward with the majority of the trail above treeline. Glad I got to see some pikas running around too!

Steep hike most of the way up, and longer than 6 miles out and back. But still a great hike with good views.

A fun hike! I arrived at 6:30am on a Friday and I was the first one on the summit. It has a couple of pretty tough spots on the way up, but it also has some spots that level out to give you a break. The first mile was probably the hardest for me personally. All-in-all it is a great hike if you are trying to build up to doing some 14ers, and it has great 360 degree views at the top.

Fantastic 13er! We were in the parking lot by 8:30 on a Saturday and there was not a ton of traffic on the way up. Certainly more as the day went on, but nothing like some of the 14ers around. Great views and steady incline but nothing ridiculously hard. Would be a good into elevation hike for people!

It's a pretty straightforward 13er with spectacular views! A lot of incline at first but then its mellows out shortly before the summit.

Great 13er to try, especially when 14er training. I would not say this trail is easy as it’s a steady incline most of the way with a few straight away moments.

The vast majority of the hike is above timberline, so plan bathroom breaks accordingly. There is a great bathroom at the parking lot. Although, during this last visit it was a disaster zone.

Expect windy conditions no matter what day you choose. However, we benefited from a beautiful, sunny day.

The trail to the top and back is closer to 7 miles versus the 6 listed on all trails. The view at the top are spectacular and worth the trek.

Lovely, easy 13er with decent views. Completed back in June when there was still some snow on the route.

Very nice hike, mostly above treeline. Nice views but also very windy for about half the route. Not too busy on a Saturday (8/4/18) but parking lot was full.

8/4/2018
Pack layers, it's chilly and windy at the top! The gradual incline and occasional flat parts made this a really good starter high elevation hike for me (new to CO from NE). It's more of a harsh mountain terrain and not so pretty like some other spots in Arapaho National Forest. Lots of friendly folks out on a Saturday!

Very scenic! It’s a nice level of challenge for a shorter hike. You see several clear blue lakes along the way and there are a lot of wildflowers. There’s some rock scrambling towards the top. It gets cold, in early August I was comfortable wearing a hoodie with pants.

I loved this hike! I did it today and it was my first time hiking at high elevation. It was absolutely gorgeous but also pretty hard. But that was due to the elevation that I’m not used to. Definitely worth it!

Great hike! Very Windy!! I had trouble holding my hiking poles at one section of the descent due to the wind. And I hike 14 er and 13er's on a regular basis. Other that it was amazing! Will definitely be hiking this trail again.

Beautiful views about halfway up of lake in the valley and again at the top of a lake on the other side. Cool and windy at the top, so plan accordingly.

Monday morning hike. Hit the trail around 8am. Saw very few hikers on the way up. I thought the hike was a nice mix of steep grade and flat terrain that helped keep the pace going. Great views along the way. We had the summit to ourselves for About 10 mins. Passed several hikers on the way down that were heading up. For a 13’er I thought his was a nice hike that most should be able to do.

this was my first 13er. found it easy. very windy but that was expected. I want to go back and continue on to the next peak

Great first 13er hike. Went early and it wasn’t busy.

Really enjoyed this 13ner. A bit windy toward the top. Will definitely do it again. Nice enough to trail run most of it.

Not difficult but good workout. I clocked closer to 8 miles. 360 degrees of stunning views. Friend and I had trail and top of mountain to ourselves. Some rocky areas so watch your footing there. Weather today not an issue. No wind at top even, but still, go prepared. Really spectacular.

Beautiful, easy hike.