Mount Falcon Castle Trail

Mount Falcon Castle Trail is a 7.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Morrison, Colorado that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Starts climbing immediately through gorgeous miles of switch backs.

This is a popular trail, so go early and ideally on a weekday. The good news is that it is often wide enough for two way traffic so passing -- even by a mountain bike -- is a non-issue.

I would rate this hike "moderate" instead of easy. The first 3-3.5 miles are a pretty sustained uphill, gaining about 1500 feet. The Castle Trail is almost completely in the sun, so on a warm day it can be a bit relentless. The Turkey Trot is a nice option because of the lack of mountain bikes and it has a bit more shade.

Went mid day. Very hot and arid, would be better in morning or afternoon. Well marked and pretty easy trail with some good views. The meadow was very pretty and green. The loop trail had tons of flowers and cactai. A nice 1-2 hr hike, not too hard not too easy.

We did this hike mid-afternoon and the first half was hot and sunny but we found some shade and a breeze closer to the top. The hike was a nice challenge and with the heat we made frequent stops. At the top we went to the Walker castle ruins and did the short loop called Walker’s Dream - both offered gorgeous views and several areas to sit and take it all in. We did not go past the ruins. Overall the Castle Trail took us about 3 hours and was just under 8 miles. The trail was pretty quiet, we came across a handful of other hikers, pups and a few cyclists. Would recommend this hike for a nice challenge that is close to the city and offers some beautiful views.

This was a great trail for a first time solo hiker. A few things however:

The castle ruins are the Walker House Ruins. The tip of this trail goes past the ruins to the west parking lot which is just bathrooms and benches. As it was a very hot day and this is a long hike, I think you could turn around after visiting the cool Walker ruins. Shave off some time and save up some energy for hiking back to the east lot.

Pretty rocky so I recommend wearing boots. I would’ve probably had worse luck with just sneakers. Traffic was reasonable. I was alone for much of it but never too far away from other hikers so I felt safe. Some wildlife sights, came across a rattlesnake early on the trail. Decent amount of shade throughout, but definitely exposed to sun for much of it as well.

All in all a great trail. I would just cut it a little shorter with foregoing the extra distance past the ruins.

Loved it! Took my 5 month old in a carrier. Gorgeous sites and the castle was so cool! Great hike, enough to get your heart rate goin good.

Well groomed trail with a decent amount of incline. It gets a little crowded with bikes plus the weekend crowd but was still enjoyable. Very good views of Denver and Red Rocks with mountain peaks the other direction. Overall if you push yourself you can get a good workout with scenic views, if someone is slower they can also pace accordingly and make it as well even if they aren’t in great shape.

Didn't make it all the way to the ruins with our little ShiTzu but had a great time today with my 11 year old. It was hot (hot, hot!) but plenty of areas of shade. Make sure to bring a hat!

My roommates and I did this hike last Saturday (5/12) as a part of the many challenges offered through Cotopaxi's Questival. We started our hike around 9 am and completed the out-and-back around 11:30 am.

It was a beautifully majestic morning as the mist settled upon the mountain and made us feel as though we were trekking somewhere in the Northwest U.S.. However, this did take away from some of the breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape due to the lack of visibility.

This was a bit more strenuous than I initially anticipated, but I also went in with no prior research being done on the hike and thought it was only around 3 miles round trip. When it was more than twice that length I was a little surprised, but enjoyed the challenge nevertheless.

This was a very pleasant hike that I would definitely like to do again (on a clearer day) when I can take in some of the views!

Lots of switch backs but it was really beautiful. A nice view of the skyline!

Perfect hike for non-acclimated visitors. Great views and easier hike to get outside!

Close to the city, quick trip- great for running or a casual stroll. Saw a lot of folks with their dogs out

Slightly challenging, very well traveled trail, beautiful views!

Awesome easy hike with a few steep areas.

Great easy trail. It was cloudy so views weren’t that great. Trails were well maintained

Great views, decent elevation gain.

It was really beautiful and challenging because it is a long trail. We took Turkey Trot up and went to the castle via Castle Trail then back down castle trail. The Walker Castle is a faint memory, but you can get a feel of it’s grandeur from all of the dilapidated fireplaces.

Always a fun hike. Great views by the homestead.

Good workout due to steep elevation grade. Well maintained trail. Everyone was courteous-so no issues with bikers. Interesting “castle” ruin at top. I would hike it again - but either earlier in the morning or later in the day since the mid-morning sun is very strong and there is very little shade on the ascent.

Great workout great local hike

It was beautiful and well groomed trail. I put 4 stars coz of the bikers. They are inconsiderate and rude to hikers, walkers. They need a designated area for bikers only, so they can be rude to each other.

Loved the hike. Beautiful views all hike and great trail conditions. Only issue was a few people had dogs off leashes but it didn’t take away from the hike. Will definitely be going back!

Love this trail and the surrounding trails.

We love biking out here! Great views for little work.

Great trail! Great views the whole way with a really good cardio workout. A lot of incline trails the whole way up so be prepared !

Hiked this 3/17. Little Challenging but the views are incredible and completely worth it.

Great workout and views on this hike. Not super crowded despite the parking lot overflowing. I would definitely do it again.

Went with my dog. Easy beautiful hike. Not a lot of traffic on the trails, we saw maybe 5 people. I highly recommend it!

Great hike for dogs