Mount Evans and Mount Spalding Loop Trail

Mount Evans and Mount Spalding Loop Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.95 mile Mt. Evans Loop. Starting and ending at Summit Lake.

It was 4th of July 2016 My friend and I we started at the Echo Lake down to the valley and we stopped for the night at Idaho Spring reservoir. Next morning we start the climb towards lower Chicago Lake after a mile in to the climb my friend got sick from altitude. I have to return back to Idaho reservoir lucky we found a car that took him alone to the medical center in Idaho Spring. From there I climb back up again all alone to lower Chicago Lake sleep there then start my climb next morning thru upper Chicago Lake,Summit Lake, thru the Loop, summit on Spalding then finally Mt Evans. By 13.000 was snowing. Never underestimate the mountain..snowing 4th of July..? Yes see my picture. Great awesome. Never go alone only if you are advance mountaineer years experience.

A good first 14er!

I did this yesterday solo! This was my 1st 14'er.11.02 miles round trip starting at Summit Lake up Mt. Spaulding and around the ridge to the Mt. Evans Summit and down via the road back to the parking lot. The views of Summit Lake, Sawtooth Ridge and Abyss Lake are incredible and not to mention on a clear day like I had you can see at least 5 identifiable 14'ers from up there. I also saw Big Horn Sheep, Coyotes, Mountain Goats and Mule Deer all on this trail. This is a difficult, rocky, exposed and very steep climb, Yes, make no mistake you are climbing a 14'er on this trail. Take proper clothing and gear and always be prepared, it's better to have the gear and not need it than to need it and not have it. This is a serious climb! Upon returning to the parking lot at around sunset the Alpine Rescue Team was mustering and going to search for a missing woman on this mountain. Temperatures were dropping rapidly at sunset, 44° when I got to the bottom and dropping fast. I sure hope they found her! Weather can change rapidly at these elevations and getting in trouble can happen fast. Be prepared! All in all I had an amazing day! Just me and the mountain! Amazing! I cant wait to do it again!

We summited Mount Evans via the Sawtooth Ridge (extra hard). Obvious trail marked by many cairns. Lots of rock hopping and keep and eye out for big horn sheep! Beautiful emerald colored lake from the top. Fun hike!

Easy for a 14er. You start at summit lake which is pretty. You don't see the road until you reach the peak so don't worry that it will ruin it. The peak is slightly disappointing from all the shoebies who drove up. But it's still a great hike. Doesn't take very long either

Just spectacular. This was my first 14er and I couldn't be more thrilled. We took the loop around Spalding and up over Evans, coming down on the Mt Evans Summit Trail, which actually comes out of the summit parking lot. This connected us to the road quicker, for which our knees were grateful!! Plus, we avoided the huge boulders and essentially the staircase associated with the other summit trail. It was a daunting journey for me, but ultimately rewarding. Seriously, GO IN FALL!!!! The weather was a little scary (all was fine) but the views from the top of the aspen trees were incredible. First of many, I hope!

Beautiful views.

Little windy today but otherwise a fantastic hike. No snow or ice.

amazing views! scattered snow. can be difficult to maneuver the rocks at times. overall great hike.

Beautiful views. Not as challenging in terms of ascending quickly but more technical with a lot of rock scrambles There was snow in August so definitely pack warmly and bring poles since rocks were icy. Descended down north east side at parking lot which was a lot steeper but faster. Took us a little over 4 hours