Mount Evans and Mount Spalding Loop Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(571)
Mount Evans Wilderness

Mount Evans and Mount Spalding Loop Trail is a 4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,768 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

fee

Starts and ends at Summit Lake. A fee of $5 in cash or check is charged for day use to park at Summit Lake. If you arrive prior to 8am, this is the only fee you'll pay. Other times you will pay an additional $10 to enter the park.

Parked at Echo Lake campground and hiked the road up about 2.5 miles. Hiked on the road as it was closed to motor vehicles. Clear all the way, very small patches of snow on the side of the road.

icy

5/11/20. Came up from Echo Lake on Chicago Lakes Trail as the road is closed. The ridge looked icy and treacherous so myself, a beginner hiker, and another hiker who looked more experienced didn't attempt it. Will come back when it's warmer to try it.

My first 14'er....unforgettable

closed

Didn't actually get to hike this trail. As of today, 10/15, Mount Evan's road was closed at the turn after Echo Lake. We weren't even able to get up to Summit Lake. Super bummed we couldn't do this hike today. Hopefully it's not closed for the season! The trail should still be available via Chicago Lakes Trail however! It's just a much longer hike.

Great fairly easy 14Er, for a 14er. Only took us 3.5 hours to clear. Says that road to it is out but you can still do the hike and get to the first parking lot. The road is out to the parking lot at the very to, at the man made view site. The road leading up to the trail head is super sketchy if bad weather or snow. No rail guards and steep drop offs. I recommend starting the trail at the trailhead at the parking lot. Some people were doing the steep section first, if you want to do it this way just walk down the road a quarter mile or so. If you do the trail counter clockwise as I prefer the summit can be a bit tricky to find. Just stay right on all the rock edges until the summit is readily apparent. We kept trying to go left on rock edges and got into a few sketchy cliff areas that we then had to turn around at over and over again. If you stay right you will eventually be able to see the view site (which I personally think is a buzz kill) and then the summit will be readily apparent with an obvious trail up!

14 oct, gate closed

Hiked on sunday 10/6. Plenty of spots at trailhead at 7:30. Took 5 hours round trip, but we got off trail and had to do some slightly scary rock scaling. 5 miles round trip. Beautiful hike with lakes and leaves changing. My 5th and easiest to date. Was 18° when we started, but warmed up nicely. Got lucky with low wind.

Tried to do this morning but the road to the trailhead is closed 9 miles from the start of the trail. Pretty disappointing

Beautiful views, scrambling, very cold. My camelback line froze so I was constantly trying to crunch the ice out of it. It can be hard to find the trail going up Spalding, but along the ridge to Evans there were lots of cairns to mark the way. We ended up taking the road down instead of the path (some passerby’s going the other direction said they found it treacherous to go up, and recommended we not descend that way). It made it about an 8 mile round trip, but it was worth every moment.

Super pretty trail, especially with the different lakes you can view. I started around 7 and am glad I did because I lost the trail a number of times in the daylight. Make sure to take a water bottle as my CamelBak line froze so I had no water the whole way, and have a face shield and gloves for wind. Also make sure you have $5 cash for the parking. super fun trail though!

We hiked this counter clockwise and almost turned around as we came off the ridge between Spalding and Evans due to the wind. Those gusts were no joke. We pushed ahead and got a little off track on the rock scramble, but eventually found the cairns and found our way. My 3rd 14er and my favorite so far. The views were incredible and the rock scramble ended up being a ton of fun once we knew we weren’t lost. Began at 6:15am, hit Evans summit by 8:50. Only saw one other person on the entire trail! Bring your poles for the remainder of the loop down from Evans because there is a lot of scree and loose dirt to slip on. Your knees will thank you!

Favorite 14er so far. Nothing too difficult.

What an amazing hike! Views were incredible... Brutal wind for most of it but if your dressed for it it’s doable. Our favorite 14er to date!

Great hike to Mt Spaulding standard counterclockwise route. Started at Summit Lake Tr Weather nite before left dusting of snow. Talked with several who turned back about 6 tenths /mi Mt Evans summit, Icy and wind gusts 30 - 40 Micros-pikes and googles call for that day..

Yea, this was tuff..

Great quick 14er. I prefer to go the long way up then take the steeper shorter track down, but others to it the opposite to save their knees. I have a knee issue and it didn’t feel bad at all. To take this route park at the designated parking lot with restrooms then go right. You will see a sign that says Mount Evans Trail. Top is a bit of a scramble, but nothing too sketchy. I highly recommend starting the trail earlier for a beautiful view of the sunrise.

Amazing hike number 5 for me in a week. Completed it on a hour and half with trail running the whole way down. The scramble was awesome found my own path but had to climb a 100ft crevasse to get back to the normal trail!! Epic climb and run down!!

I did the Mount Evans /Mount Spalding loop trail yesterday (Sunday Sept. 22). I did my first 14er (Quandary) about three weeks ago, and then did my second (Bierstadt) about two weeks ago, so this was my third. Arrived at 6:30 to Summit Lake parking lot. I started clockwise (the less common way of doing it) as I wanted to go UP the steepest part, rather than down. I found that my progress was a bit hobbled by the cold. I wasn't trying to do it fast, but I had to keep stopping due to very runny nose from cold air, and I found that wearing a face mask (needed because my face was going numb from the 22° cold and gusty winds) exacerbated the thin air- I could move faster when I pulled the mask up to breathe. Otherwise the trip up was about what I expected, but also a little harder due to all the layers of clothes, as I felt a little less flexible. View from summit spectacular, and weather as clear and could be. Trip around to Spalding was pretty neat ...felt more dangerous / exciting! than other mountains as a lot of steep dropoffs. Trail hard to see but I was grateful for all the rock cairns set up to lead the way. I was a bit surprised at the end (a little over a half mile from parking lot- the early part of hike if done counter-clockwise) that it seemed that, for example, the cairns led right up to a cliff edge. The only way down was a place I had to jump down about four feet to a rock ledge that extended about ten inches out from the mountain ledge I was standing on. If I'd lost my balance and my momentum had varied me over the tiny ledge, I'd have fallen about eight more feet and likely broken something, so one really had to be careful. There were a couple other areas that seemed a little dicey, more so that anything I saw on the other mountains. At any rate, the experience overall was quite wonderful!

arrived 6:30 am, started counter clockwise. very windy and pretty cold. partial dusting of snow. saw mountain goat mom and baby up at the summit. other side of mountain down, steep and loose rocks. beautiful day and clear skies.

Don’t be fooled by the short mileage, the entire hike is scree, scramble and climbing. Lot of mountain goats!