Mount Evans and Mount Spalding Loop Trail

Mount Evans and Mount Spalding Loop Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Idaho Springs, Colorado that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.95 mile Mt. Evans Loop. Starting and ending at Summit Lake.

Good stuff! The last leg is pretty tough!

I've been hesitant to do Evans, because I was concerned the summit-moment would be killed by the tourists at the top. To be honest, it was. We walked up to the top and didn't take pictures. BUT- throughout the hike we saw way fewer hikers than on any other 14er I've done.

More great news: the views from this trail are incomparable. The ridge you follow is U-shaped and so you see completely different views from every side-- including Bierstadt, Grays/Torreys, the Chicago Lakes, and of course, Summit Lake. The path is clearly marked and at a very steady incline. I think this would be perfect as a first 14er.

As previously stated by a lot of my fellow hikers, the loop is hard to find. Most of the people ahead of us either turned around or walked down the road. Going down either face is super steep and loose. We planned to hitch hike to save time.

We started at about 9:30 and were down by 1:15, we stopped several times and ate lunch on the saddle.

I'll definitely be returning but would just plan to do Spalding and come back down. As that's a pretty short bit, it'd be perfect for sunrise/set!

Happy hiking!

PS: Your National Parks Pass works here! A very pleasant surprise.

The trail does NOT loop around like the map shows.

Beautiful hike. Didn't do the loop as shown, did the ridge via Spalding and terraced my steps back down. LOVED this hike.

Attempted the full loop as shown on the AllTrails map today - there is no trail that comes down the shoulder as the map shows!! Because it was all scrambling down boulders and sometimes very loose scree, it took us a really long time to get down, adding about an hour (and some seriously sore knees) to our hike. The hike from Summit Lake to Spalding and Evans was absolutely stunning and I highly recommend it, but either go down the Northeast Face trail (essentially a beeline down to the road) or retrace your steps back down to Summit Lake - I don't recommend going down the south shoulder as this route map shows.

beautiful trail and not an intense 14er. pretty rocky, get an early start. Not really a loop trail unless you want to walk along a busy road..or hitch-hike down like we did

beautiful views, some parts are hard, some are easy, it was awesome