Mount Elbert South Trail Head

Mount Elbert South Trail Head is a 22.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Lakes, Colorado that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and camping and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

With an elevation of 14,400 feet, Mount Elbert is the highest point in the state of Colorado and the second highest summit in the contiguous United States after Mount Whitney.

Fantastic hike! Great views, and challenging without being too difficult. Great for new 14er-ers. I would say Mt. Massive is the best hike in the area, but this is still amazing!

Tough trail if you are new to hiking maybe, but one of my absolute favorites. Twin lakes has great fishing and camping and I would highly recommend this if you are able

Never ending false peaks with a good amount of snow year around for the last mile or so.

Prepare for a few false summits. While technically easy, it was very steep most of the way and long and exhausting. BUT always worth it!

Saturday, December 26, 2015

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

This is an interesting hike. Six friends and I decided to spend the night near the summit so we packed up around 30 pounds of gear each and it took us 3 hours to summit in time for sunset. We checked the weather, saw it was all clear and set up camp about 100 yards from the summit. We cooked our meal under the most beautiful stars and went to sleep on to of the world. An hour after we went to sleep a lightning storm rolled in. So we pack up everything FAST with the wind whipping everything around, rain pelting us and lightning striking all around. Holy cats was that a good adrenaline high. So we scramble down the trail with just our headlamps. The rain is pelting us and wind is still going strong. We get to the treeline in what seemed like an age and look up to see a sweet lightning show. We decided to just go all the way down and march back to our basecamp at Halfmoon Creek. Got to camp at 3 and slept to 8. I'll remember that hike for the rest of my life.

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Difficult last mile but otherwise great hike! Difficult due to loose rock and steep trail. Great views. Worth it.

Monday, October 05, 2015

Not the most exciting 14er. But its the highest

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Monday, September 07, 2015

Thursday, September 03, 2015

Took the easiest trail - kids made it to the top before us. Rain/hail got us off the mountain. Great day

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Just did this yesterday. I went with a group of 5 girls and we vary in fitness from long distance runners to the occasional exerciser that's never trained for a 14er. We started at 4:15am. The first 1.5 hours needed a flashlight and we saw only 2 others on the trail. We finished around 2pm. This was with LOTS of breaks and a slow to steady pace. There are 2 false summits so just be aware of this! Starting from the actual trailhead, we calculated the distance to be more around 11 miles. Many estimates start a little further in where the colorado trail "officially" starts and so does not take the first bit into account. It was a fun fourteener and despite being the highest, was relatively easy compared to the others I've done.